Waitlist and Overflow Information

Frequently Asked Questions

University Housing assigns residents using each student’s computer-assigned lottery number, their indicated preferences, and the space available at the time of assignment. University Housing assigns residents at multiple points throughout the summer, starting with the first batch in early June.
Application to a Living Learning Community (LLC) is considered a primary preference and supersedes all other preferences. Students can list up to two preferred roommates when completing their housing contract, by providing their 9-digit ID number, starting with 99x.
For preferred roommates to be matched, both individuals must have the same LLC (or no LLC) preference, and they must have both mutually requested each other. If a student hasn’t identified an individual they’d like to room with and is placed in a double- or triple-occupancy room, University Housing will use that student’s contract preferences to assign a random roommate.

We hope that all members of the UWM community are doing their part to slow the spread of COVID-19. Simple steps like washing hands for at least 20 seconds, maintaining social distancing and wearing a face covering can help keep you and your friends and family safe.

UWM does have space available for University Housing residents if they choose to go into isolation. Meals can be delivered.

Students can prepare for the possibility of going into isolation by taking the following steps:

  • Make sure your cell phone number is updated in your PAWS account.
  • Stock up on nonperishable snacks, microwaveable meals, and bottled water in case you must remain in your room or move to another space.
  • Make sure you’re doing laundry regularly – if you need to go into isolation/quarantine, you won’t have access to laundry facilities.
  • Continue to clean your room and suite regularly using cleaning supplies that will kill the virus – if you need to borrow cleaning supplies, please visit your building’s service desk.

You can also have luggage or a duffel bag packed and ready in case you need to move quickly into isolation for a 5-day period. You are encouraged to pack the following items into your “go bag” to bring with you to the temporary space:

  • Important papers (your I.D., insurance information)
  • Prescription medications
  • Non-prescription medications (pain relievers, fever reducers)
  • Cold/flu helpers (tissues, cough drops, thermometer)
  • Nonperishable snacks, microwaveable meals, & bottled water
  • Dishes and utensils for eating microwaveable meals
  • Cloth face coverings
  • Electronic devices, charging equipment, etc.
  • Multiple changes of clothing/sleep apparel for 7 days
  • Toiletries (deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, soap/body wash, body lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste)
  • Prescription eyeglasses and/or contact lens solution
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Paper or notebook and pen/pencil
  • Books, games, puzzles, or other activities

Do not bring appliances, personal furniture, or personal cleaning supplies.

The $20/semester activity fee is assessed by the Student Housing Administrative Council (SHAC), which is the student government for students in University Housing. The fee is used for all events, activities, prizes, snacks, etc., that SHAC and the other student organizations in Housing put on, that the RAs host, and that the professional staff plan. While COVID has definitely changed how things are done, these organizations and staff members have worked to make sure there are still adapted activities for students in the residence halls. Some of these include:

  • Weekly events “Every Thursday at 9:27pm” hosted by the Panther Activities Committee (PAC), which have taken place in Sandburg and Cambridge every week since the first week of school. These have had limited in-person capacity and grab-and-go options so students can choose their comfort level, and each week they plan for about 75-150 students depending on the activity (paint kits, karaoke, game nights, crafts)
  • Fall Welcome events the first week students got here, Sex Week events every day one week in October, Homecoming events every day for a week in November, and Mental Health Week events in December.
  • Movie/game/TV watch parties in Flicks, including grab-and-go-snacks. This includes payment for the license to show movies.
  • SHAC and NRHH have created over 500 care packages for students in quarantine and isolation, with supplies students might forget and things to entertain them in their rooms.
  • SHAC has voted to use some of the funds to purchase more inclusive masks with clear fronts for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community
  • RAs have had grab-and-go style events during their weekly lounge hours, as well as a few virtual events each. This has been things like pumpkin decorating/handouts, microwave s’mores kits, gratitude & self-care activities, academic supply handouts, floor decorating, Among Us game nights, Trivia Nights, etc.
  • Academic series such as Smart Panther, which is handing out academic supplies and personalized academic help, along with free t-shirts.

There will be limited seating in cafés and programming spaces for students to eat, in addition to eating in their suite/room.

Yes, though UW-Milwaukee is unable to provide any housing options on the university campus. We have a number of options available, depending on which airport you are flying in to. Airports have more hotel options nearby than the UWM Campus, so we recommend staying at those hotels until the first day of move-in (August 29).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

If you fly into Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) one hotel option is the Super 8 by Wyndham Milwaukee Airport, located at 5253 S. Howell Ave. Their rates start at $59 per night and can be split between participants.

For reservations and exact rates, participants may call the office at 1-414-395-5165, or visit their website at www.super8.com and search for this specific hotel. The hotel offers a free shuttle from the General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee to the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois

If you fly into Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) one hotel option is Super 8 by Wyndham Chicago Northlake O’Hare South, located at 2080 Mannheim Rd. Their rates start at $69 per night and can be split between participants.

For reservations and exact rates, participants may call the office at 1-708-681-0220. Or you may visit their website at www.super8.com and search for this hotel. The hotel offers a free shuttle from O’Hare International Airport in Chicago to the hotel.

Madison, Wisconsin

If you fly into Madison’s Dane County Regional Airport (MSN), one hotel option is Baymont by Wyndham Madison West located at 8102 Excelsior Drive. Their rates start at $63 per night and can be split between participants.

For reservations and exact rates, participants can call the office at 1-608-831-7711, or visit their website at www.baymontinn.com and then search for this property. This hotel offers a free shuttle from Dane County Regional Airport to the hotel.

Transportation from Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport to UWM Campus

Shared Shuttle Service:

  1. GO Riteway Shuttle is an option. Their phone number is 1-800-236-5450, and their website is https://book.goriteway.com/
  2. Ticket desk is located in the baggage claim area of the airport.
  3. Cost of a one-way, shared-ride reservation for UWM Campus destination is approximately $30

Taxi Service:

  1. OLAA Taxi Milwaukee: Their phone number is 1-414-688-6786, and their website is: olaataxi.com
  2. Yellow Cab Cooperative: Their phone number is 1-414-271-1800, and their website is ycmilwaukee.com

Bus Service:

Milwaukee County Transit System (city bus): Their website is https://www.ridemcts.com/

  1. From the airport baggage claim, you will take the Green Line (GRE towards Bayshore via Oakland-Howell).
  2. Depart bus at the Oakland & Hartford stop.
  3. Walk .3 miles (East on Hartford Avenue, then north on Maryland Avenue)
  4. Sandburg Residence Hall is at 3400 North Maryland Avenue.

Green Line Schedule: https://www.ridemcts.com/getattachment/Routes-Schedules/GreenLine/GreenLine.pdf?lang=en-US&ext=.pdf

Transportation from Chicago to UWM Campus (through Downtown Milwaukee)

If you do not fly directly into Milwaukee’s Airport, you may want to use bus or train transportation to get to Downtown Milwaukee.

Bus Service:

  1. Greyhound Bus Service. Bus tickets can be reserved on their website at www.greyhound.com. Tickets are between $10 – $35 per person. Greyhound has a number of stops in the Chicago Area. The Cumberland Farms Stop is the closest to O’Hare International Airport (just a short train ride away from the Airport, while Union Station is more likely to have additional employees and resources to help you with your trip.
  2. Coach USA Bus Service: Their website is https://web.coachusa.com/wisconsincoach/index.asp
    1. Take a CoachUSA bus from O’Hare to Milwaukee General International Airport OR to Milwaukee Intermodal station
  1. Purchase a ticket in advance (before you travel) and print your ticket
    1. The CoachUSA bus has a pick up near the street exit of the international terminal. There is also a bus-center where you can find another pick up location. However, it will be much easier to board the bus when it pulls up in front of the international terminal.
    2. The cost of the CoachUSA ticket is approximately $30.
  • Pay attention to the CoachUSA schedule as buses do not run late at night.
  1. From the Milwaukee Intermodal Station, you may take a taxi or a city bus to UWM campus.
    1. If you take a taxi, the address you will want to go to is: UWM Sandburg Hall; 3400 N. Maryland Avenue.
    2. One recommended taxi service is the OLAA Taxi Milwaukee. Their phone number is 1-414-688- 6786, and their website is www.olaataxi.com.
    3. If you want to take the city bus, you will need to walk approximately four blocks north on 4thStreet to Wisconsin Avenue.
    4. Once you have reached the intersection of 4thand Wisconsin, you may board the Gold Line, the #30, or #30X. When boarding, tell the driver that you are going to UWM and they will help you get off at the correct stop.

Train Service:

Train service provided by Amtrak makes multiple trips between Chicago and Milwaukee every day. To catch the train at Chicago Union Station:

  1. At O’Hare Airport, take the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) Blue Line service to Chicago Union Station.
    1. The CTA station is located in Terminal 2 of O’Hare Airport (not in Terminal 5). You need to take the free Airport Transit System to Terminal 2 and follow the sign to “CTA Trains” or “Trains to City.”
    2. The CTA Blue Line costs $5 and takes you to downtown Chicago. You need to exit train at Clinton Station. From Clinton Station, it is a 5-minute walk to Union Station.
    3. At Chicago Union Station, take Amtrak Train service to the Milwaukee Intermodal Station.
    4. Amtrak Train service runs with a fixed schedule, please plan your trip beforehand. http://amtrakhiawatha.com/schedules.phpo
  1. From the Milwaukee Intermodal Station, you may take a taxi or a city bus to UWM campus.
    1. If you take a taxi, the address you will want to go to is: UWM Sandburg Hall; 3400 N. Maryland Avenue.
    2. One recommended taxi service is the OLAA Taxi Milwaukee. Their phone number is 1-414-688- 6786, and their website is olaataxi.com.
    3. If you want to take the city bus, you will need to walk approximately four blocks north on 4thStreet to Wisconsin Avenue.
    4. Once you have reached the intersection of 4thand Wisconsin, you may board the Gold Line, the #30, or #30X. When boarding, tell the driver that you are going to UWM and they will help you get off at the correct stop.

In some cases (such as when a student or family has a 529 Educational Savings plan), students can deduct the costs of either living in the residence halls or, if they do not live in the residence halls, the allowance for room and board determined by financial aid. Students who live(d) in University Housing should print the information from their PAWS account. If a student cannot find it or no longer has access to PAWS, University Housing can type a letter for them so long as they provide at least 2 business days’ notice; please email housing@uwm.edu should you need assistance in this matter. Students who did not live in University Housing should talk to the Financial Aid office to receive more information about their Cost of Attendance.

Bus Service:

  1. Greyhound Bus Service. Bus tickets can be reserved on their website at www.greyhound.com. Tickets are between $18 – $32 per person.
  2. From the Milwaukee Intermodal Station, you may take a taxi or a city bus to UWM campus.
    1. If you take a taxi, the address you will want to go to is: UWM Sandburg Hall; 3400 N. Maryland Avenue.
    2. One recommended taxi service is the OLAA Taxi Milwaukee. Their phone number is 1-414-688- 6786, and their website is www.olaataxi.com.
    3. If you want to take the city bus, you will need to walk approximately four blocks north on 4thStreet to Wisconsin Avenue.
    4. Once you have reached the intersection of 4thand Wisconsin, you may board the Gold Line, the #30, or #30X. When boarding, tell the driver that you are going to UWM and they will help you get off at the correct stop.

University Housing will not complete the Wisconsin Department of Revenue Rent Certificate for purposes of the “homestead” tax credit. If UWM filled out the certificate, it would have to respond that it is not subject to property taxes (line 2(a)), and it is not a municipal housing authority that makes payments in lieu of taxes (2(b)). UWM believes this disqualifies our residents from claiming the tax credit, and, as a result, University Housing staff will not complete the forms.  If you need more information, please work with your tax accountant.

For students who live nearby and already may have alternative housing arrangements at home, we suggest you consider completing a Wait List request for a University Housing space. As vacancies become available, we will start offering contracts to students on the wait list. 

For most students who need housing finalized by the start of school, we suggest that you contact UWM’s Neighborhood Housing Office (web: uwm.edu/neighborhoodhousing; email: housing@uwm.edu; phone: 414229-6999). NHO maintains listings of available spaces for rent, conducts background checks on landlords, and guides students through the process of becoming tenants.  

Contract access is a difficult status to predict. As students cancel their contracts over the summer, we will give contract access to students on the Wait List to take their space. Because there are not many spaces left, contract access for those on the Wait List will typically come with a quick deadline to complete before we move on to the next person in the Wait List. This process is typically about seven days to complete, though the actual time available will be detailed in the email that you receive with contract access. 

Students who have submitted a contract for University Housing will be guaranteed a housing assignment.  Housing assignments are made weekly, until all contract holders have been assigned.

Due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus, it’s possible that University Housing will not be allowed to house as many students as previously projected. It is our intention to house as many students as possible, while staying within the guidance provided by public health officials. A number of contingency plans are being developed, to support the various formats of instruction for the fall semester. University Housing will contact contract holders as soon decisions are made. If public health guidance prevents us from housing all students with contracts on campus, support will be available to help them find alternative options.

Fall 2022 housing assignments started to be released on Friday, June 10.  Housing assignments will be continued to made weekly, with typical release on Friday. Emails will be sent once a student has been assigned.

No. There isn’t any manipulating that can be done. Multiple submissions will not help. 

Contracts that may be offered will be prioritized first to students who fit one or more of the following criteria: international students, out-of-state students, students who are otherwise homeless, students who are experiencing housing insecurity, students who have aged out of the foster system, and students with certain scholarships.

Not at this time. If you voluntarily choose to cancel the contract, then the contract terms and deadlines apply (you would not have the full deposit refunded to you). If, in the future, University Housing has to administratively cancel contracts, those canceled individuals would have their entire deposit refunded to them.

Not necessarily. We continue to work with the UWM Accessibility Resource Center to address accommodation requests. Please remember that some requests may take up to 30 days to process, even after the file is completed. If an accommodation is deemed necessary, we will use developing vacancies and potential quick swaps to meet requested accommodations. Continue to check your Housing Portal as the summer concludes to stay up to date on your assignment. In addition, a decision letter or update will be sent to you via email. 

Due to space availability, University Housing will be automatically granting exemptions to the UWM Residency Policy to students who have not previously completed a University Housing Contract, or who have not had their previously submitted exemption request granted effective June 13, 2022. This process occurs on a daily basis 

The purpose of the UWM Residency Policy is to support the on-campus experience of our students. All students who completed the University Housing contract by the priority deadline of May 1, 2022, will have a place to live in University Housing. Since we are also stewards of the funds paid by our residents, our priority is to achieve full occupancy, as that will help us be the most efficient. May 1 has been the historical date to complete University Housing Contracts, and we continue to be able to honor requests in by that date. 

If the residency requirement is suspended, University Housing still provides the option for a waitlist in hopes to continue to provide contracts as vacancies become available.

It is becoming more and more popular for residents to have their own computer, but at least 5% do not. Each building has computers available for student use. There are also numerous other computer labs all over campus. For the student whose major constantly requires long papers, or the student who frequently works with complex designing (marketing, architecture, engineering, or computer science), a personal computer is a great benefit. If you would like to “try out” owning a computer, consider renting a laptop from the library.

University Housing cleaning protocols include: High-touch areas in University Housing residence halls will be disinfected three times per day. These areas include elevator buttons, exit doors, and exterior door handles. Furniture in common areas will be moved 6 feet apart and wiped down daily. Service desks and other areas where students interact with staff will be cleaned by a staff member at the start of each shift. 

Here are the standard cleaning procedures in student housing:

  • Hand sanitizer stations located in first floor lobbies are checked daily and refilled as needed.
  • Restrooms are cleaned and disinfected daily before 9 a.m. Power cleaning with disinfectant cleaners is completed, depending on location and amount of daily use it receives. Restrooms are spot-checked again before noon. Paper and soap products are replenished, trash emptied if needed and obvious messes cleaned up.
  • Entrances and public areas are cleaned daily to maintain a clean image for students and staff. Spot-checking is done up to three times again throughout the day. Door handles, push bars, and elevator button are disinfected constantly by a variety of staff on various schedules. Floors are swept, mopped or vacuumed, depending on floor surfaces. Dusting and damp wiping is done as needed. Carpets and floors are refinished during summer recess or as needed due to spills or weather. Security, residence life and custodial staff are all assisting with common area disinfecting.
  • All offices in housing facilities are detail cleaned (dust, damp wipe with hospital grade disinfectant, mop and/or vacuum) once a month. Office trash is removed twice a week. Floors are refinished and carpets/chairs are deep cleaned once a year.
  • Products used for disinfecting surfaces and floors are “hospital grade” and EPA approved.

Students living in UWM residence halls are expected to clean their own bedroom, suite/apartment and bathroom. They also are expected to clean their own kitchen if they have one in their suite or apartment.

You signed a Contract to live in University Housing stating that you agreed to all the rules and regulations of University Housing. You were also emailed a Resident Handbook upon your move-in date which goes in to explicit detail of all of the policies. If you’d like a hard copy of the Resident Handbook, please visit the nearest Residence Life Office (RLO), located in Sandburg C120 and Cambridge CC144.

The RLO stands for the Residence Life Office which is located in C120 of Sandburg (across from the mailboxes) and CC144 in Cambridge Commons. The Residence Life Coordinators (RLCs), work out of the RLO and oversee all University Housing buildings including Cambridge Commons, Kenilworth Square Apartments, Purin Hall, RiverView Residence Hall and Sandburg Hall. These individuals supervise your Resident Assistants in addition to having other University responsibilities. The RLO also processes any incident reports that are written within University Housing. For the current University Housing Staff Directory, visit: https://uwm.edu/housing/about-us/staff-directory/.

A student always has the right to schedule a meeting with their Residence Life Coordinator (RLC). If you were documented within University Housing you will be receiving a letter via email in the following business days. If after that letter is sent you still have questions or action on your part was required in the letter, please call or stop by the office so that we may assist you.

If you received a letter from the RLO, you, your roommate, or your suitemates, were documented by a University Housing staff member. It is possible that you were not present during the incident, but you are being informed of what happened and any follow up that is needed.

It is important that you comply with all letters from the RLO, in addition to other University offices. If you do not respond within a timely manner to letters sent to you, you may face additional sanctioning.

A Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) is available by appointment only and must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. To schedule an appointment with your RLC, visit the Residence Life Offices (Sandburg C120 or Cambridge Commons CC144). The RLOs are generally open Monday through Friday, 9 AM-4 PM. If you have an emergency, please contact Security personnel located at the Service Desk of each University Housing building. Phone numbers for each of the Service Desks are:

  • Cambridge Commons: (414) 251-7891
  • Kenilworth Square Apartments: (414) 229-0512
  • RiverView Residence Hall: (414) 251-8323
  • Sandburg Hall (and Purin Hall): (414) 229-6123


Students may voluntarily cancel their contract anytime up to 24-hours prior to the start of their contract period. Those cancellations will forfeit the $100 deposit, but nothing more. The contract period starts on their scheduled move-in date, or August 28, whichever comes first.

Students who wish to break their contract after the contract start or move-in are considered “terminations.” While there are some approved reasons for terminations, (graduation, study abroad, withdrawal), most students who terminate should be prepared to pay 85% of the charges for the remainder of the contract term.

If you are wishing to request termination of your contract, submit a Termination Request Form. We highly encourage you to review your Contract Guidebook for policies and termination penalty fees prior to making your decision to terminate.

It is in your Resident Handbook that University Housing and USPS will deliver items to your mailbox, and it is your responsibility to regularly check it. If you are having difficulty with your lock combination, please see the Service Desk for assistance.

First, check to see that you are using Internet Explorer. If you do not have Internet Explorer please utilize a Computer Lab (there are labs located on the main floors of Cambridge Commons and RiverView, as well as the 3rd floor of Sandburg). Second, make sure that all of your pop-up blockers are disabled. If after that time you are still having difficulty, contact the Residence Life Office at (414) 229-5712.

Every year conflicts and disagreements may arise in your assigned room/suite. There is a detailed process in place to assist residents in such situations. A resident must first speak with their Resident Assistant so that the process can start. After that conversation, the Resident Assistant may refer a resident to a different person/place in the process.

*Special Note: If you are in fear of your immediate safety please contact the RLO during business hours or Security after hours so that you may be assisted.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. 1232b; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of resident education records. Additional details can be found here.

In accordance with FERPA guidelines, University Housing administrators will not share any resident information, other than directory information, with anyone outside the University system. This includes, but is not limited to, information about a resident’s grades, behavioral history and action, health concerns, current whereabouts, and financial information. (If the person requesting information is a guarantor on the resident’s housing contract, certain financial information can be given.)

Exceptions to this Act, regardless of age, will be made in life-threatening situations. University administrators within the University system may decide to share information about residents on a need-to-know basis.

Residents who choose to waive their rights to privacy may complete a Student Information Release on their PAWS Account, under the Personal Information tab.

The policy was new to UWM for students entering in for the 2012-2013 Academic Year. While the UW System Policy had existed for nearly 40 years, UWM did not have the capacity to accommodate the entire first-year class, and therefore was exempt. With the opening of Cambridge Commons Residence Hall in Fall 2010, UWM can now accommodate the entire first-year class, and therefore, implemented the policy shared by the vast majority of University of Wisconsin four-year institutions.

The policy only applies to first-time students who are freshmen. Ensuring that the Department of Enrollment Services (https://uwm.edu/des/) has your transfer information and supporting documents will ensure that you are not subject to the residency policy.

For our incoming transfer students, we find that many enjoy living in the Transfer Community, Sandburg East Tower, or Kenilworth Square Apartments.

Your parent/guardian must digitally sign the online proxy agreement in your Housing Portal after you complete your contract, confirming the relationship and the address where you (the student) will be living. An email will automatically be sent to your parent/guardian with a link to the proxy agreement once you have submitted your application for exemption.

There is an advantage to completing your contract earlier. Because our room assignment process is both random and by preferences, submitting a contract by the first lottery date (usually late-Spring) will give you the best chance at getting one of your preferred room assignments.

University Housing has run out of spaces in past years. If you want to live on campus, completing your contract before the priority deadline is the only way to make sure you have a space in University Housing.

University Housing has a team dedicated to the exemption request process. The team meets weekly and will review exemption requests on a first come, first serve basis. Once the team has reviewed the exemption request a decision letter will be generated and sent to the student requesting the exemption. Please be advised that University Housing will contact you once the request for exemption has been received and again when a decision has been made. We expect this turn-around time to be one week and will update students should it take any longer. Please understand we may be dealing with a large volume of exemption requests and we will process them as quickly as possible.

Also – please watch your UWM email, or check your messages in your Housing Portal. In the event your request does not have enough information or evidence, you will be contacted to ask for additional materials. Make sure you are opening all email from UWM.

When looking at exemption requests the team takes into account a variety of factors including potential success of the student in all areas, financial situation and compatibility with University Housing rules, regulations and contractual obligations. When necessary we partner with other areas of campus, including Financial Aid and the Accessibility Resource Center, to ensure we’re considering all factors in the exemption request.

Please submit any necessary material and/or documentation to the University Housing Office (housing@uwm.edu or mail to 3400 N. Maryland Ave., Milwaukee, WI  53211) outlining the changes in your circumstance; these will be added to your exemption request file. The team will then re-review your file.

If you have accepted admission to another University and are withdrawing from UWM, please update University Housing on your status.

No additional documentation is needed. The next step will be for your parent/guardian to digitally sign the online proxy agreement in your Housing Portal, confirming the relationship and the address where you (the student) will be living. An email will automatically be sent to your parent/guardian, based on the information you provided on your contract, with a link to the proxy agreement.

There is no mileage requirement or commuter clause in the policy. You and your family will need to verify, through signing of the proxy agreement in your Housing Portal, that you will be living at home. Falsifying that verification can have serious consequences, and University Housing will follow up with potential dishonesty.

University Housing will provide you a uniform work shirt. You are to provide your own pants or shorts and closed-toed shoes. There are not color or fabric preferences for your pants or shorts.

University Housing partners with the UWM Accessibility Resource Center to review any issues related to a student’s medical history that may impact their potential for success in University Housing. Please submit an application for accommodation with ARC in addition to the exemption form. Apply online at uwm.edu/arc/apply.

You will be required to provide documentation that clearly outlines your disability and supporting reasons as to why the exemption is necessary for the student’s success. All of your medical files are protected under HIPAA guidelines and will be kept confidential.

We recognize each student has a different and unique financial situation. Based on this, our team works closely with the Financial Aid Office to ensure we’re considering the whole picture of the student’s potential ability to live successfully in University Housing. You must have completed your FAFSA to make this request and the review of your request may take significant additional time.

There are a variety of mobile phone carriers and coverage plans for you to select from when living in Milwaukee. When you arrive there will be a shopping trip to allow you to explore mobile phone plans and coverage details.

Quite simply, it is true. Looking at the most recent data here at UWM, students in University Housing achieved “Satisfactory Performance” at a rate of 79.1%, while commuters were at a rate of 65.1%. In terms of GPA impact, a study performed at a state school in Indiana appeared in the Economics Bulletin^ and found that the effect was between .19 and .97 GPA points.

Pedro de Araujo and James Murray, (2010) “Estimating the effects of dormitory living on student performance”, Economics Bulletin, Vol. 30 no. 1 pp. 866-878.

An online Statement of Account will be available on your PAWS account; you may not receive a paper bill. If you are a not a UWM Student, you will receive a paper statement which will be mailed to your campus address.

UWM Students: To view your Statement of Account navigate to the Finance Section on your Student Center page in PAWS. Click the link “View Billing Statement” to display your statement in PDF format. You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups in order for the statement to appear and you will need Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or higher. (A link for a free download of Adobe Acrobat will display after clicking on View Billing Statement.) You can print this statement or save it as a file on your computer. If you plan to mail your payment to the UWM, you must print the statement and include the payment coupon from the statement with your payment.

Questions regarding your UWM account and due dates may be directed to the Bursar Office at: (414) 229-4914 or bursar@uwm.edu. Specific questions regarding housing and/or meal plan charges may be directed to the University Housing Office at (414) 229-4065.

Your online billing statement reflects outstanding PAWS charges, due dates, Anticipated Financial Aid and the estimated balance due.  Use this as a guide to estimate how much out of pocket monies will be needed to pay the balance due. UWM Financial Aid provides a cost calculator on its website. Visit https://uwm.edu/onestop/finances/estimating-your-costs/uwm-total-cost-estimator/ for more information.

The credit agreement you signed electronically before registering for classes is the only form associated with the Installment Payment Plan.  You do not need to complete another form.

If you have been assigned to a residence hall room, your charges will post on or around July 15. You can determine how much your housing and meal plan charges will be prior to that by viewing the University Housing pricing guide which is found on the University Housing website, at https://uwm.edu/housing/students/rates-meal-plans/.

Every UWM student receives a Milwaukee County Bus U-Pass, which for most is sufficient for their around town needs. Most students who live in University Housing use our UWM shuttle system, walk or ride a bike. Parking on campus is limited and expensive, so most students who have cars are those who have off-campus jobs, an internship or teaching semester, or some other personal need not served by the bus. Visit the Transportation Services website at https://uwm.edu/transportation/ for more information about parking and how to get around town.

Most homeowners insurance covers personal belongings of a child while away at school, but check your policy to be certain. If not, renters insurance is available. For health insurance, most family plans cover a child until they are out of school. If this is not the case, contact the Norris Health Center for ideas about coverage. The Contract Guidebook discusses your and our liabilities for belongings and damage.

If you are a returning contract holder, you can benefit from participating in returner self-assignment to select your own room. Returners tend to select single-occupancy rooms for their second year in University Housing. There are a limited number of singles within our facilities. For those who have never had to share a room, it is a great experience, helping them prepare for future apartments sharing and more permanent relationships. Encourage your student to make the most of this new experience sharing a room.

Please contact the Bursar Office or visit the Bursar Office website.

University Housing:
Phone:  (414) 229-4065
Email:   university-housing@uwm.edu
Web:     https://uwm.edu/housing

Student Financial Services:
Phone:  (414) 229-4541
Email:   finances@uwm.edu
Web:     https://uwm.edu/onestop/

As a part of living on-campus, Residence Life also helps to teach valuable life skills such as communication and conflict mediation. We encourage residents to work out their own problems, just like you would encourage your children to work out their problems with a sibling. If they haven’t already talked to their roommate, encourage that. If they are uncomfortable going it alone, have them approach their RA or Residence Life Coordinator. Those staff members are specifically trained to help sort out typical roommate problems and can help them achieve a win-win solution to their disagreements.

Using the black navigation bar above, hover over “Communities”. Then, select the building you are interested in. Layouts for each building are included on their respective pages.

UWM no longer withdraws a student for non-payment during the active term. However, to prevent a Late Payment Fee and to be eligible for the Installment Payment Plan, you must pay any charges that are past due from prior terms, plus at least $100 toward semester charges.  (Note: PAWS payments apply to the oldest charges first on your account.)

Please contact the Bursar Office (tuition and fees) or University Housing (room and meal plans) for further explanation.

This is confusing for many.  However, even before charges are posted, you have enough tools and numbers available to have a general answer to this question. You should add your housing and tuition charges (look up tuition charges on the Bursar website until the actual are reflected on your PAWS account). Then subtract the financial aid you have been awarded for the semester; make sure you are only subtracting one semesters worth of aid. If the result is a positive number, you will need additional funds to pay your bill in full. Keep in mind this does not take into consideration books or other indirect costs you may incur. For assistance with this issue (budgeting), please visit the link on the Financial Aid Department website titled Estimated Cost of Attendance in the Financial Aid Basics section (coa.uwm.edu). If you determine you need additional financial assistance, you are encouraged to consider a PLUS Loan or a Private Alternative Educational Loan (please apply for the amount needed for the entire year). Details on these programs are found at loans.uwm.edu. The annual Financial Aid Handbook is required reading for all financial aid recipients and includes additional guidance.


If you have registered for classes, you will see tuition charges added approximately July 25. You can determine how much your tuition charges will be prior to that by consulting the Bursar Office website and looking for Fall Tuition Information.

Contact the Service Desk of the building your student resides in and ask them to leave a message for your student. Frequently, students spend a lot of time away from their rooms at activities, as well as studying across campus. If they don’t return your call in a timely manner, ask to speak with the Security Staff. The security staff will work with the on-call Residence Life staff member, to determine the appropriate next step to attempt to reach your student. If you have an imminent concern for your student, please share that with the Security Staff when you talk to them. A full list of Service Desk numbers can be found at https://uwm.edu/housing/life-uwm/services/service-desks/.

Besides our staff, trained in assisting students to adjust, the Norris Student Health Center has a wide variety of health education and support groups focusing on topics such as alcohol use and abuse, eating disorders, smoking cessation, and many other wellness topics. Suggest that your student talk to their RA, their Residence Life Coordinator, or go directly to the Health Center to make an appointment with one of their counselors.