As the academic year nears the end, we want to prepare you for the steps to move out properly. Here are some important tips and tricks to have a smooth and easy check-out! (Students moving out prior to the end of the spring semester should check out the Mid-Contract Termination page.)
Cambridge Commons, Purin, RiverView, and Sandburg Halls will close at 12 PM on May 22, 2021. Kenilworth contracts end at 12 PM on May 31, 2021.
Residents must sign up for a checkout time via signupgenius.com using their UWM e-mail address by May 1, 2021. Purin residents should have received an email from their RA. All other residents should have received an email with the sign-up link as of Friday, April 9, 2021.
If you have misplaced the sign-up email to schedule your move-out time, please click your building link and validate your information with your UWM e-mail address.
Failure to do any of the following may result in an improper checkout charge of $75.00:
- Sign up for a check-out appointment
- Show up on time for your check-out appointment
- Check-out with a University Housing staff member
Follow these four steps to have a “proper” check-out:
- Sign up for a check-out time with a University Housing staff member.
- Clean your room and suite (follow the checklist below).
- Complete your forwarding address information on MyHousing, empty your mailbox, and pick up your packages.
- Show up on time for your check-out appointment with a University Housing staff member.
Your room must be in the condition it was in when you checked in. To avoid possible damage or cleaning charges, make sure the following are taken care of:
- All of your belongings are out of the room (double-check dressers, desk, closet, drawers, bathroom, and behind and under furniture).
- Desks, dressers, and shelves are dusted and disinfected.
- Room and suite hallway have been vacuumed and/or swept.
- Everything has been removed from the walls, doors, and windows, and sticker residue has been removed.
- All lofts are taken down and loft pieces placed underneath the bed.
- Furniture has been moved to center of room (see Furniture Layout on your cleaning/closing list).
- All trash cans in the suite and bedrooms have been emptied and washed out.
- Bathroom sink and vanity have been cleaned.
- Bathroom floor has been swept and mopped.
- Toilet has been cleaned.
- Rented Micro-Fridge units have been defrosted, cleaned, and wiped dry.
For Cambridge Commons / East Tower / Purin Hall:
- Refrigerators and freezers have been emptied and cleaned out. (No need to defrost.)
- Microwaves and microwave plates are clean (where present in suites).
- Stovetop in suite has been wiped clean (where present in suites – DO NOT USE SELF-CLEAN OPTION ON OVEN).
For spring 2021, residents are permitted to have two (2) helpers assist them with their move-out.
- All parking must be paid for – use the ParkMobile app or pay stations for the Sandburg garage, find street parking, or utilize short-term parking in the circle drive.
- Trailers of any kind are not allowed in any parking structure.
- Parking Level Doors (Sandburg) will only be open for limited hours during move-out days.
Donate any unwanted food/clothing/furniture to the donation bins located in each building. Donations benefit Goodwill and other local non-profits; some donations may be utilized by University Housing to outfit tour spaces in each building.
As the academic year nears the end, we want to prepare you for the steps to move out properly. Here are some important tips and tricks to have a smooth and easy check-out!
Steps to Move Out
- Sign up for a check-out time. If your original time no longer works for you, you may log in to signupgenius.com and change your time. (If there are no open sign-up slots, you may not move to that time period.)
- Remove all belongings from your space and clean your room and common spaces (complete the 1/2-sheet closing checklist posted on your door to avoid charges).
- Complete your forwarding address information on MyHousing, empty your mailbox, and pick up any unclaimed packages.
- Show up at any time during your 1-hour check-out window, with your completed closing checklist. (Please know there might be a short delay depending on natural traffic patterns during that window of time.)
Check-Out Locations: Cambridge 171; Sandburg Flicks; Kenilworth Service Desk; Purin, your RA will meet you at your room.
Need a new closing checklist? Visit your building’s service desk or check-out location!
- All parking must be paid for – use the ParkMobile app or pay stations for public parking in the Sandburg/Kenilworth garages, utilize short-term parking in the Sandburg circle drive, or find street parking (pay attention to all posted signs).
- Doors will be open to enter and exit through the garage between 9:00am and 7:00pm. Traffic flow outside of those times will be required to use the common areas of the buildings.
- Trailers of any kind are not allowed in any parking structure.
- Residents are allowed to have up to two (2) helpers assist with the move-out process.
- Carts will be available in building lobbies and at the bases of all towers throughout move-out. Please return ASAP so that others may use them.
- Before checking out, you must move your furniture as indicated on your checklist and clean all common spaces, even if your roommates and/or suitemates are staying longer than you.
- There are limited cleaning supplies and vacuums for check out from the Service Desks. These are first-come, first-served.
- Donate any unwanted food, clothing, household items, or furniture to the donation bins located in the lobby of each building. (Note: Donations benefit Goodwill and other local non-profits; some donations may be utilized by University Housing to outfit tour spaces in each building.)
- Residents should not remove any items from the donation bins.
Vaccines are still available at the UWM Union site. There are walk-in appointments available 9am-3pm Monday-Friday until the end of move-out. Even if you are moving out, you can get your first dose at the UWM Union and get your second dose at another location 21-28 days later.
You are still required to test weekly for COVID-19, unless you have an approved exemption on file. Approval requires being 2-weeks post your final vaccine dose, submitting verification of your vaccine record, and having your submission approved. Submit an exemption using this form. No matter your vaccine exemption status, we still encourage everyone to test, knowing the moving process typically involves changing the community you are around and traveling.
As we approach the end of the semester, we want to remind everyone that there are 24-hour quiet hours in effect starting Thursday, May 13 at 10:00pm. In addition, all policies related to behavior expectations and guest visits are still in place (unless during active move-out times). Individuals who violate rules and regulations will still go through the behavior process.
As the academic year starts to wind down and you gear up for finals, we want to provide you the following set of instructions so you can properly move out at the end of your contract. We hope that this year was memorable.
Sign Up for a Move-Out Appointment by May 1
Cambridge & Sandburg Residents: You will receive a separate email from firstname.lastname@example.org today, following this email, with instructions to select an hour timeslot to check out with a University Housing staff member. Appointments can be scheduled from May 14 to May 22. If you need to change your appointment after you initially sign-up, you can do so 24- hours prior to the appointment time you are seeking.
Kenilworth Residents: You will receive a separate email from email@example.com today, following this email, with instructions to select an hour timeslot to check out with a University Housing staff member. Appointments can be scheduled from May 7 to May 31. If you need to change your appointment after you initially sign-up, you can do so 24-hours prior to the appointment time you are seeking.
Purin Residents: You will be receiving an email from your RA, Emily with instructions on how to sign up for a move-out time. Move-out times for Purin will be in 15-minute increments and RA Emily will meet you at your room at the time you have selected. Please have all move-out items completed by your move-out appointment time, so it does not impact those who have appointments after yours. If you need to adjust your time, please proactively work with RA Emily in advance of your originally scheduled move-out appointment. Please sign up for move-out time no later than May 1st.
If you did not receive the email from firstname.lastname@example.org, please check your spam or junk folder, or search by the email address for it. If you still are having issues, please inform your RA or our department at email@example.com.
Start to Pack and Clean!
We highly encourage you to start taking items home now on the weekends leading up to the end of the semester. This will help to ensure we maintain a good level of social distancing during peak move-out periods. Starting early also helps minimize stress as you head into finals. Be sure you and your suitemates are working together to clean any common area spaces.
There will be limited cleaning supplies and vacuums for check out from the Service Desks. These are first-come, first-serve. We do encourage you to provide your own cleaning supplies.
Follow the instructions on the half-sheet posted to your door and review your floor bulletin board for additional details.
Here are some friendly reminders:
- Mailbox: check your mailbox and remove all items.
- Micro-fridge rentals: remove all items, wipe inside clean, unplug, and leave the door open. Defrosting your freezer can take up to 24-hours, so start this process early.
- Lofts: de-loft your bed and fold up the loft kit. Leave the folded loft kit under the bed.
- Housing-provided equipment: loaned equipment such as bed shakers, doorbells, etc. should be consolidated and left on your mattress.
Move-Out Instructions Overview
It is important to watch the instruction video and read the below information for a smooth move-out process.
Update Your Forwarding Address!
Log in to uwm.edu/myhousing to update your forwarding address information. When you log in to your MyHousing Portal, select ‘My Addresses’ from the left-hand menu. When you are on the ‘My Addresses’ page, select ‘Forwarding Address’ from the drop-down menu and populate your forwarding address and select the ‘Save Changes’ button at the bottom of the page. You can enter this information at any time before your move-out day. This allows Housing to forward any first-class mail or UPS, FedEx, USPS Priority packages to you after you move out. Packages shipped by Amazon Logistics do not have forwarding services available and can only be returned to the sender. Please remove your UWM address from your Amazon account at move-out. If you accidentally ship your Amazon package to UWM after move-out, you can work directly with Amazon for a replacement item at your current address and UWM will work with Amazon through the return process of your item. Failure to provide or update your forwarding address will result in Housing not being able to appropriately re-direct any first-class parcel mail or packages. Undeliverable or unforwarded items will have to be returned to the sender when possible.
On Your Move-Out Day
On the day of your scheduled move-out appointment, ensure all belongings from your room are removed and your space is cleaned. You are allowed to have up to two (2) guests assist you in your move-out process.
Your room furniture should all be moved to the center of the room, as shown in the diagram on your floor bulletin board. Empty your mailbox.
Go to the centralized check-out location with your room key. You should arrive anytime within the hour that you scheduled. Your move-out helpers should wait for you at your vehicle. Staff will verify you updated your forwarding address. A staff member will then go with you to inspect your room and common area, verify the key fits your door, and complete the check-out.
Check-Out Locations: Cambridge 171, Kenilworth Service Desk, Sandburg Flicks
The last thing we would want you to leave with is damage, cleaning, or improper check-out charges. Please make sure you follow all the steps on the posted closing checklist to ensure you have a positive move-out experience as you kick off the start to summer. If unsure, ask your RA or contact University Housing at 414-229-4065 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to assist you.
Common reasons students accrue charges at move-out include but are not limited to:
- Leaving the room in poor condition. This could include not removing all personal belongings, not doing a base level of cleaning of surfaces and floors.
- Causing physical damage to space such as marked walls, holes in drywall, stains on the floor, broken furniture, and fixtures.
- Improperly checking out or just walking out—resident must vacate prior to noon on May 22nd (May 31st for Kenilworth residents), unless prior approved for a late departure or summer contract. Not signing up for a move-out time and/or just walking out of the halls and not officially checking out with staff would be considered an improper check-out.
- Not returning keys or equipment provided to you by University Housing.
Late Departures & Summer Contracts
We love to hear that students want to stick around with us a bit longer!
Residence Hall Residents: If you are needing to remain on campus for a short while (no later than noon on June 1st), you can submit a late departure request form. Late Departure is billed at $35/night starting May 22nd. Requests for Late Departure must be submitted by May 1st. If you are enrolled in summer courses or are employed on campus, you are eligible for a summer contract. Summer Housing will be in Sandburg East Tower. Contracts require a minimum of a four-week period and will be billed at a rate of $25 per night for a single bedroom. Only single bedrooms will be offered for Summer. If interested, please submit an online application, and we will provide you a contract to complete.
Kenilworth Square Apartments Residents: If you are needing to remain on campus through June or July, you may submit a Kenilworth Contract Extension request form. This allows you to stay with us for one or two more months. Billing would continue at your current monthly rate. Contract Extension Requests must be submitted no later than May 1st. If you have completed a 2021-2022 Contract, during the summer you will be allowed to request an Early Start of August 1 to next year’s contract so that you have continuous housing from one contract to the next. This request form will be provided to you via email.