All University Housing facilities will be open for the duration of Winter Break, though some services may be limited.
This page contains information for students in all University Housing facilities. Please read on to learn more about how you may be affected.
Break Preparation Checklist
- Clean your room and secure belongings if leaving for break. (Take your fish and plants home with you!)
- Please clean your refrigerator (if applicable), and make sure your oven and stovetop (if applicable) are completely off.
- Remove all belongings from the counter and shower of your bathroom and take out the trash. Facilities staff will be entering during the Winter Break to clean your bathroom. If any bathroom items remain, custodial staff WILL NOT clean your bathroom.
- To conserve energy, turn off lights in your room, suite, and bathrooms.
- Sandburg East/Kenilworth: Do not turn off thermostat or heat. Set your heat for 68° F.
- Lock your room AND suite door as you leave. University Housing staff will be verifying all suite/apartment doors are locked over break.
- Over break, new residents will potentially be moving into vacant spaces. Ensure that all common spaces and the vacant half of the bedroom (bed, desk, dresser) are clean in preparation for a potential new roommate.
- Close and latch your windows.
- Bicycles on the street should be moved into storage.
- You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits by 1/1/2022.
If you will not be returning to UWM, or wish to request termination of your contract for the spring semester, you must request termination of your housing contract by submitting the online Contract Termination Request Form. (Priority deadline to submit termination request form: 12/1/2021.)
Additional information on the winter move-out process will be provided by University Housing. Look for the contract termination flyer on your floor and winterization signage posted on your suite/apartment door.
Students terminating their contracts are strongly encouraged to review the Termination section of their Contract Guidebook and the Termination Checklist online.
If you are terminating your contract and moving out completely, you have until 12pm on December 23, 2021, to vacate your room. Kenilworth residents have until 12pm on December 31, 2021. Students moving out should review the Termination Checklist for additional information about moving out.
- Quiet hours start 10:00pm on December 14, 2021
- 24 hours/day until December 23, 2021 @ noon
Guests who violate policies will be asked to leave and not allowed back in University Housing.
- Dining hours are limited during break periods
- Visit uwm.edu/dining or follow @UWMYum on social media for updates
- All residential bathrooms will be cleaned (see Break Preparation Checklist for instructions)
- Fire Alarm Testing – Need to enter all suites/apartments during the month of January
A limited amount of cleaning supplies are available for checkout at the Service Desks. First come, first served.
Goodwill Donation Stations will be located in University Housing lobbies (except for Purin Hall) beginning in December).
Reminders As We Approach Spring Semester:
Course open enrollment started December 4th. We hope you have taken time to review the course schedule and meet with your academic advisor to plan the best course schedule for you. If you are unsure of your enrollment appointment date, please check your PAWS account for details.
In order to register for spring courses, students cannot have a balance over $1500 or holds on their PAWS account. Fall payment plans were due in full on November 5th. Finals are just around the corner, so please review your PAWS account and take any necessary action so you can enroll in spring courses.
With these items in mind we would like to remind you that in order to remain eligible to live on campus, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours or be otherwise deemed eligible by the Director of University Housing by January 1, 2022.
University Housing will check your spring enrollment status on January 3, 2022. If you are not enrolled in at least six (6) credits for spring before this date, University Housing reserves the right to terminate your housing contract.
If you are wishing to change rooms for the spring semester, you are encouraged to enter your Room Change Request as soon as possible. There will be a room freeze in effect from December 21, 2021, to February 6, 2022.
If there are any vacant bedrooms within your suite or apartment, please be aware that University Housing reserves the right to assign new residents to these spaces at any time. Students should expect these spaces will be assigned to new residents over the winter break period.
Current residents wishing to request a specific roommate who will be a new contract-holder for Spring semester may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide their name and 9 digit ID number in your email. Requests must be submitted no later than December 31, 2021, to be considered.
If you have emergencies or need to contact University Housing:
Contact the University Housing Office (Sandburg C100) at 414-229-4065 or email@example.com.
Hours: 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday (Closed 12/24 & 12/31, and 1/17)
Your Building’s Service Desk Contacts:
- Cambridge: 414-935-6900
- Kenilworth: 414-229-0512
- Sandburg/Purin: 414-229-6123