Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list with questions that are frequently asked by both parents and students.

It is becoming more and more popular for residents to have their own computer, but at least 5% do not. Each building has computers available for student use. There are also numerous other computer labs all over campus. For the student whose major constantly requires long papers, or the student who frequently works with complex designing (marketing, architecture, engineering, or computer science), a personal computer is a great benefit. If you would like to “try out” owning a computer, consider renting a laptop from the library.

An online Statement of Account will be available on your PAWS account; you may not receive a paper bill. If you are a not a UWM Student, you will receive a paper statement which will be mailed to your campus address.

UWM Students: To view your Statement of Account navigate to the Finance Section on your Student Center page in PAWS. Click the link “View Billing Statement” to display your statement in PDF format. You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups in order for the statement to appear and you will need Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or higher. (A link for a free download of Adobe Acrobat will display after clicking on View Billing Statement.) You can print this statement or save it as a file on your computer. If you plan to mail your payment to the UWM, you must print the statement and include the payment coupon from the statement with your payment.

Questions regarding your UWM account and due dates may be directed to the Bursar Office at: (414) 229-4914 or Specific questions regarding housing and/or meal plan charges may be directed to the University Housing Office at (414) 229-4065.

Your online billing statement reflects outstanding PAWS charges, due dates, Anticipated Financial Aid and the estimated balance due.  Use this as a guide to estimate how much out of pocket monies will be needed to pay the balance due. UWM Financial Aid provides a cost calculator on its website. Visit for more information.

The credit agreement you signed electronically before registering for classes is the only form associated with the Installment Payment Plan.  You do not need to complete another form.

If you have been assigned to a residence hall room, your charges will post on or around July 15. You can determine how much your housing and meal plan charges will be prior to that by viewing the University Housing pricing guide which is found on the University Housing website, at

In some cases (such as when a student or family has a 529 Educational Savings plan), students can deduct the costs of either living in the residence halls or, if they do not live in the residence halls, the allowance for room and board determined by financial aid. Students who live(d) in University Housing should print the information from their PAWS account. If a student cannot find it or no longer has access to PAWS, University Housing can type a letter for them so long as they provide at least 2 business days’ notice; please email should you need assistance in this matter. Students who did not live in University Housing should talk to the Financial Aid office to receive more information about their Cost of Attendance.

University Housing will not complete the Wisconsin Department of Revenue Rent Certificate for purposes of the “homestead” tax credit. If UWM filled out the certificate, it would have to respond that it is not subject to property taxes (line 2(a)), and it is not a municipal housing authority that makes payments in lieu of taxes (2(b)). UWM believes this disqualifies our residents from claiming the tax credit, and, as a result, University Housing staff will not complete the forms.  If you need more information, please work with your tax accountant.

Every UWM student receives a Milwaukee County Bus U-Pass, which for most is sufficient for their around town needs. Most students who live in University Housing use our UWM shuttle system, walk or ride a bike. Parking on campus is limited and expensive, so most students who have cars are those who have off-campus jobs, an internship or teaching semester, or some other personal need not served by the bus. Visit the Transportation Services website at for more information about parking and how to get around town.

Most homeowners insurance covers personal belongings of a child while away at school, but check your policy to be certain. If not, renters insurance is available. For health insurance, most family plans cover a child until they are out of school. If this is not the case, contact the Norris Health Center for ideas about coverage. The Contract Guidebook discusses your and our liabilities for belongings and damage.

If you are a returning contract holder, you can benefit from participating in returner self-assignment to select your own room. Returners tend to select single-occupancy rooms for their second year in University Housing. There are a limited number of singles within our facilities. For those who have never had to share a room, it is a great experience, helping them prepare for future apartments sharing and more permanent relationships. Encourage your student to make the most of this new experience sharing a room.

Please contact the Bursar Office or visit the Bursar Office website.

University Housing:
Phone:  (414) 229-4065

Student Financial Services:
Phone:  (414) 229-4541

As a part of living on-campus, Residence Life also helps to teach valuable life skills such as communication and conflict mediation. We encourage residents to work out their own problems, just like you would encourage your children to work out their problems with a sibling. If they haven’t already talked to their roommate, encourage that. If they are uncomfortable going it alone, have them approach their RA or Residence Life Coordinator. Those staff members are specifically trained to help sort out typical roommate problems and can help them achieve a win-win solution to their disagreements.

Using the black navigation bar above, hover over “Communities”. Then, select the building you are interested in. Layouts for each building are included on their respective pages.

UWM no longer withdraws a student for non-payment during the active term. However, to prevent a Late Payment Fee and to be eligible for the Installment Payment Plan, you must pay any charges that are past due from prior terms, plus at least $100 toward semester charges.  (Note: PAWS payments apply to the oldest charges first on your account.)

Please contact the Bursar Office (tuition and fees) or University Housing (room and meal plans) for further explanation.

This is confusing for many.  However, even before charges are posted, you have enough tools and numbers available to have a general answer to this question. You should add your housing and tuition charges (look up tuition charges on the Bursar website until the actual are reflected on your PAWS account). Then subtract the financial aid you have been awarded for the semester; make sure you are only subtracting one semesters worth of aid. If the result is a positive number, you will need additional funds to pay your bill in full. Keep in mind this does not take into consideration books or other indirect costs you may incur. For assistance with this issue (budgeting), please visit the link on the Financial Aid Department website titled Estimated Cost of Attendance in the Financial Aid Basics section ( If you determine you need additional financial assistance, you are encouraged to consider a PLUS Loan or a Private Alternative Educational Loan (please apply for the amount needed for the entire year). Details on these programs are found at The annual Financial Aid Handbook is required reading for all financial aid recipients and includes additional guidance.


If you have registered for classes, you will see tuition charges added approximately July 25. You can determine how much your tuition charges will be prior to that by consulting the Bursar Office website and looking for Fall Tuition Information.

Contact the Service Desk of the building your student resides in and ask them to leave a message for your student. Frequently, students spend a lot of time away from their rooms at activities, as well as studying across campus. If they don’t return your call in a timely manner, ask to speak with the Security Staff. The security staff will work with the on-call Residence Life staff member, to determine the appropriate next step to attempt to reach your student. If you have an imminent concern for your student, please share that with the Security Staff when you talk to them. A full list of Service Desk numbers can be found at

Besides our staff, trained in assisting students to adjust, the Norris Student Health Center has a wide variety of health education and support groups focusing on topics such as alcohol use and abuse, eating disorders, smoking cessation, and many other wellness topics. Suggest that your student talk to their RA, their Residence Life Coordinator, or go directly to the Health Center to make an appointment with one of their counselors.