What are the costs of room and board for tax purposes?

In some cases (such as when a student or family has a 529 Educational Savings plan), students can deduct the costs of either living in the residence halls or, if they do not live in the residence halls, the allowance for room and board determined by financial aid. Students who live(d) in University Housing should print the information from their PAWS account. If a student cannot find it or no longer has access to PAWS, University Housing can type a letter for them so long as they provide at least 2 business days’ notice; please email housing@uwm.edu should you need assistance in this matter. Students who did not live in University Housing should talk to the Financial Aid office to receive more information about their Cost of Attendance.