M.Arch PROGRAMS AT UW-MILWAUKEE
Value, Vision, Diversity
The Master of Architecture (M.Arch) is a professional degree accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) that prepares students to become licensed architects. But more than this, our M.Arch program develops innovative designers, thinkers and leaders in fields like architecture, sustainability, community development and more. Students enroll in our M.Arch programs from diverse professional and educational backgrounds.
M.Arch graduates leave the School of Architecture & Urban Planning with a degree, industry connections, critical/creative-thinking skills, and a design portfolio that makes them top employment prospects in a rapidly expanding profession.
VISION is one asset of our M.Arch programs. VALUE is another. SARUP participates in the Midwest Student Exchange and Minnesota Reciprocity programs. Our tuition rates for non-resident students are lower than many – perhaps most – other architectural programs in the region.
- M. Arch 2: For students with a pre-professional undergraduate degree in architecture, the M.Arch program requires 60 credits and two years of study.
- M. Arch 3: For students with an undergraduate degree in any other field – examples include geography, film, engineering, mathematics, visual arts, psychology, business – the M.Arch program requires 90 credits and three years of study.
Location and leadership, legacy and scholarship are hallmarks of the M.Arch experience at UW-Milwaukee.
- LOCATION: Our urban campus is closely connected to Metro Milwaukee through alumni firms, research projects that embed student and faculty design work in the city, and pride in the region’s stunning natural assets like our university neighbor, Lake Michigan.
- LEADERSHIP: Our faculty have been recognized by the Association for Collegiate Schools of Architecture, American Institutes of Architects, the Library of Congress, The Architects Newspaper, Metropolis Magazine and other influential institutions and publications for their teaching, research and their design work.
- LEGACY: SARUP is a University of Wisconsin System Center of Excellence, the only licensed architecture program in Wisconsin and proud host of the biennial Marcus Prize, a major architectural award that brings global design leaders to SARUP.
- SCHOLARSHIP: SARUP shares UW-Milwaukee’s passion for innovative, transformative research as one of America’s top research universities. Our professors use their latest research to craft a diverse set of design studios with evolving topics: urban architecture, preservation, play, landscape ecology, exhibition design and more.
Applying to an M.Arch program is a significant step for any emerging scholar/designer, whether you’re enrolling in your neighborhood university or relocating for graduate school. Take the time you need to review our site, request more information or plan a visit. For detailed inquiries, our graduate studies advisor Joan Simuncak and architecture program chair and associate professor Mo Zell are here to answer your questions.