Applications for the Master’s programs at SARUP (M.Arch and MUP) are still being accepted. Although the deadline for scholarships has passed the Department of Architecture has some funding opportunities for graduate students through a paid peer mentoring program. Please reach out to Joan Simuncak or Mo Zell (DAR chair) or Ivy Hu (DUP chair) with questions.
Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale).
Pre-professional bachelor’s degree in architecture with 5 architecture design studios.
Bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
General Test (preferred scores in top 50%-ile)In addition to the GRE, international students are required to submit test results from the TOEFL or IELTS (minimum score requirements: TOEFL: 100(iBT); IELTS: 7.0).
Institution Code: 1473
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work. Letters should be from non-related individuals who know you through previous academic programs or relevant professional activity.
All applicants are required to submit an electronic portfolio. The portfolio should show evidence of interest in design as well as critical and independent thinking, and should be carefully conceived of, curated, well designed, neatly prepared, and easily readable digitally. Design your portfolio for digital review rather than submitting an electronic version of your printed portfolio. For M.Arch 3 applicants, the portfolio should provide an indication of your aptitude for thinking critically and creatively through design. This can include such items as illustrated research papers, photographs of executed artwork, pottery, sculpture, jewelry, and/or craft work, and freehand drawings. Present work sufficient to demonstrate the depth and breadth of your creative activity; a variety of work is important to give the review board a sense of how you arrived at architecture as a course of study to pursue.
For successful submission, the portfolio
- Must be no larger than 15 MB. Any portfolio over 15 MB will not be accepted.
- Must be a pdf file. We do not accept any other file types.
- The portfolios will be reviewed digitally (it will not be printed); format your portfolio for view on a computer screen.
- Do not include photos of yourself, your CV/resume or your Social Security Number in the electronic portfolio.
- Include a cover page with your first and last name, and the program you are applying to (e.g., John Smith, M.Arch 2).
- If you include work that is completed as part of a firm or as a group project, indicate your role in the project.
Apply and upload required materials at https://graduateschool-apply.uwm.edu/