Online Application

Students applying to a degree-seeking program who have or need a student visa (F-1 or J-1) should use the UWM International Student application. Use the “Log in with Portal Account” option.

Screenshot of UWM International Application

Students applying as a non-degree seeking student who are in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa should use the UWM Non-Degree International Student application.

Application Fee

There is no fee to apply for an undergraduate (bachelor’s level) program.

Evidence of English Proficiency

All applicants whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:

  1. An approved test score that meets the requirement for regular or conditional admission.
  2. University study: Completion of at least 18 months of full-time, for-credit academic study (approximately three semesters) at a recognized or accredited institution of higher education whose language of instruction is English immediately prior to enrollment at UWM.
  3. Secondary/high school study: Proof of completion of the last two years of secondary/high school at an institution whose language of instruction is English immediately prior to enrollment at UWM.

Applicants who do not have proof of English language proficiency and wish to apply for a bachelor’s degree program can apply for conditional admission.

Only students that meet the full English proficiency can be considered for admission to the UWM-Waukesha or UWM-Washington County campuses, as no foundation level courses are available.

Transcripts and Degree Certificates

Our bachelor’s application requirements include uploaded copies of transcripts and degree certificates. Applicants should upload copies into their application online.  Admitted students will be required to provide the original documents to upon arrival to campus.  There is no need to mail anything directly to UWM during the application process.

Provide transcripts for all study, including secondary/high school and all university/college study.  If the transcript is not issued in English, include an English translation.

For more information about which academic records to submit from a non-U.S. secondary school, please click here for a table of educational credentials by country.

After admission, schools sending official transcripts to UWM directly should use this address:

Regular Mail Address:
International Admissions Office, Garland Hall #138
UW-Milwaukee Center for International Education
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413

Street Address (for courier services that will not deliver to a P.O. Box):
CIE – Garland Hall 138
115 E. Reindl Way
Room 110
Milwaukee, WI 53212

ACT and SAT for New Incoming Freshmen

SAT or ACT scores are not included in our bachelor’s application requirements, but you can submit them if you have them.  They will be used for placement into math and English classes and may increase your eligibility for scholarships.