Passport and Visa Photos
Do you need passport photos? The CIE Main Office can provide you with photos that are of professional quality and printed on government regulation paper. Photos may be used for passports, visas, certain study abroad applications, as well as for International Student ID Cards (ISIC). This service is available on a walk-in basis in Garland Hall 138 between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.


  • 1 Photo: $5.00
  • 2 Photos: $8.00
  • 4 Photos: $13.00
  • 6 Photos: $18.00
  • 8 Photos: $23.00
  • $5 per each additional set

Note: Payment is by credit card, or personal check or money order made payable to “UWM” only. Cash is not accepted at this time.

International ID Cards
The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or International Teacher ID Card (ITIC) is your passport to discounts and services at home and around the world. Every year, students use their cards to take advantage of worldwide offers on travel, shopping, museums and more. It is also the only internationally recognized student ID.

To apply for a card: Complete an ISIC/ITIC form and submit it with a color photo (per the size specified on the form) to the CIE Main Office in Garland Hall 138. You can opt to have the photo taken in our office when you submit the form. The passport photo rates would apply.

Notary Services
Do you need a document notarized for your study abroad program? Both the FERPA Release and Power of Attorney forms need to be notarized in order to be valid. Notaries can be found at banks and credit unions, the University Legal Clinic, and there are several on staff in Chapman Hall.  Please plan to go during normal business hours, and realize a notary may not always be available. If possible, try to set up an appointment to ensure a notary will be on site.

Travel Registration and International Health Insurance

Here at UWM’s Center for International Education (CIE) we want to assure your time abroad is as safe and enjoyable as possible. To ensure this, it is important you register with the CIE Study Abroad Office.

This registration process will collect important information about your travel, as well as essential information like your passport details and emergency contact information – both here in the U.S. and abroad.

Student Travel:
Registration should be completed at least three weeks prior to departure (i.e.: if you depart June 1, you must register by May 11) to ensure proper processing. Any registration requests submitted within three weeks of departure could be subject to a $50 late registration fee. If applying within five business days of departure, a rush fee of $50 will be applied in addition to the late application fee.

Faculty/Staff Travel:
Please see the Faculty/Staff tab below, and refer to the Faculty and Staff registration portal for more information.

Processing of registrations and insurance is not done same day. Please plan accordingly.


Student Group Travel
If you are part of a group traveling abroad, please make sure you refer to any specific instructions you received for completing the registration. These instructions can include the specific name of your group, as well as specific dates of travel and destinations.

Faculty members leading student groups abroad should use the Faculty and Staff registration portal:

Certain student groups should use their designated registration portal in lieu of the “Register Travel Online” link below. These groups include:

EMBA International Business Residency Program

Investment Management Certificate Program

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute International Travel Tours

Sustainable Peacebuilding International Fieldwork Program

Student Independent Travel
Students participating in independent travel MUST be officially affiliated with UWM- meaning students must be currently enrolled, and the travel must also be sanctioned by a UWM department. If you are traveling independently or are unsure of your registration eligibility, please make sure you communicate your intended travel with the CIE Study Abroad Office via the email. Our staff will work with you to ensure that your travel is properly registered with UWM.
Administrative & Insurance Fees
Please note that there is a $100 administrative fee payable to CIE. This fee provides students with access to all CIE resources and potential emergency support.  Additionally, it allows CIE to enroll students in State of Wisconsin mandated international health insurance, administered by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  This insurance is specifically designed for the international context, and will provide far more robust and comprehensive coverage than any policy you would normally have from a U.S.-based policy.  Coverage is available in one-month increments, at the rate of $35/month for 2018-2019. (for example, if you are going for 5 weeks, you will be responsible for paying 2 months of insurance). These charges will be posted to your PAWS account unless other payment arrangements are made.


Register Travel Online


By registering your travel you will also be able to request CISI international health insurance enrollment coverage. CISI is not travel insurance, so it may not necessarily be used to cover the cost of cancelled travel or lost luggage. This insurance is meant to supplement, not replace, travelers’ regular insurance plans. The cost of the insurance can be paid for by check or money order in the CIE Study Abroad Office, or invoiced to a department or unit on campus. Please note it is also possible to have someone register on your behalf as a proxy.

Processing of registrations and insurance is not done same day. If traveling alone or with other UWM faculty or staff, you must register at least one week prior to departure. Requests within five business days of departure may be subject to a $15 rush fee. Please plan accordingly.

For more information and to register travel please visit the Faculty Travel Registration & Insurance page.