Priority Application Deadline
January 15 (fall admission only)
Submitting your application by the priority deadline will ensure consideration for funding
Application For Admission
Complete the UWM Panthera Graduate Admission Application.
Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale). Bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- Admission with Doctoral Student Status requires a Master’s Degree in architecture or related professional field, or a Master’s Degree in any field and/or significant experience in the practice, research, or teaching of architecture or a related professional field
- Exceptionally qualified applicants with only a Bachelor’s Degree may be admitted with Pre-Doctoral (Master’s Degree) Student Status and advance to full Doctoral Student Status upon completion of additional credits.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is waived for Fall 2022 applicants.
International applicants are required to submit test results from the TOEFL or IELTS Minimum score requirements: TOEFL: 100(iBT); IELTS: 7.0 Institution Code: 1473. Applicants with TOEFL scores from 79-99 iBT, or an IELTS score of 6.5 may be considered for admission with the stipulation that further coursework in English be taken. Additional specific information for international applicants can be found at the Center for International Education website.
Your reasons statement should reflect why you are interested in pursuing advanced
graduate research in architecture, and must include:
- A clear description of your research interest or doctoral plan of study
- Why you believe the program is appropriate for your course of study.
- How your proposed area of study fits with architecture faculty interest areas.
Resume, Curriculum Vitae, or Biographical Statement
1-2 pages (500-1000 words total), including your educational background, work/research experience, publications/projects completed, and any recognitions/awards received.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation from persons in a position to assess your potential for advanced graduate research leading to a Ph.D.
Portfolio OR DOSSIER
All applicants are required to submit an electronic portfolio or dossier. This can include a selection of design projects from undergraduate/graduate institutions, professional projects undertaken, written samples of research papers or projects (either completed or published), and research, teaching, and/or other work that demonstrates interest and aptitude towards Doctoral Studies. The portfolio should be carefully conceived, well designed, neatly prepared, and easily readable digitally. Please design the portfolio for digital review rather than submitting an electronic version of your printed portfolio.
For successful submission, the portfolio
- Must be no larger than 15 MB. Any portfolio over 15 MB will not be accepted.
- Must be a pdf file. We do not accept any other file types.
- Format your portfolio for view on a computer screen, as it will be reviewed digitally.
- Do not include photos of yourself, or your Social Security Number.
- Include a cover page with your first and last name, and the program you are applying to (e.g., John Smith, PhD).
Apply and upload required materials on the UWM Panthera Graduate Admission Application.