Priority Application Deadline
January 15 (fall admission)
Applications submitted after this date may miss opportunities for financial assistance.
Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale).
- Admission with Doctoral Student Status requires a Master’s Degree in architecture or related professional field, or a Master’s Degree in any field and/or significant experience in the practice, research, or teaching of architecture or a related professional field.
- Exceptionally qualified applicants with only a Bachelor’s Degree may be admitted with Pre-Doctoral (Master’s Degree) Student Status and advance to full Doctoral Student Status upon completion of additional credits.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
General Test (preferred scores in top 50%-ile)In addition to the GRE, international students are required to submit test results from the TOEFL or IELTS (minimum score requirements: TOEFL: 100(iBT); IELTS: 7.0).
Institution Code: 1473
Resume, Curriculum Vitae, or Biographical Statement
1-2 pages, total including your educational background, work/research experience, publications/projects completed and any recognitions/awards received.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation from persons in a position to assess your potential for advanced graduate research leading to a Ph.D.
All applicants are required to submit an electronic portfolio. This portfolio should show evidence of your interest and aptitude towards Doctoral Studies (including a selection of design projects at your undergraduate/graduate institutions, any professional projects undertaken, and 2-3 written samples of research papers/projects – either completed or published). The portfolio should be carefully conceived, well designed, neatly prepared, and easily readable digitally. Please design your portfolio for digital review rather than submitting an electronic version of your printed portfolio.
For successful submission, the portfolio
- Must be no larger than 15 MB. Any portfolio over 15 MB will not be accepted.
- Must be a pdf file. We do not accept any other file types.
- The portfolios will be reviewed digitally (it will not be printed); format your portfolio for view on a computer screen, and use a horizontal format in your design.
- Do not include photos of yourself, your CV/resume or your Social Security Number in the electronic portfolio.
- Include a cover page with your first and last name, and the program you are applying to (e.g., John Smith, PhD).
Apply and upload required materials at https://graduateschool-apply.uwm.edu/