UW-Milwaukee School of Architecture and Urban Planning offers on-line architecture courses for high school students.
Arch 100 Architectural Making I for fall semester and Arch 103 Architectural Making II for spring semester aim at laying a foundation for a general understanding of Architecture. Through fundamental principles spanning the education, the profession, the art, the science of Architecture, the student will encounter a broad survey of vocabularies and conceptual processes. Lectures, readings, interactive digital video, examinations, and projects will provide the means of exploration.
- Incorporates several drawing activities during each session
- Involves the conscious use of skill and creative imagination in the production of architectural artifacts and designed objects which stress values of strength, utility, and beauty.
- Lectures and digital videos will introduce the history, theory, and practice of architecture, supplemented by an array of digital video files and course website:
- requiring students to interpret a work of art/design;
- requiring students to evaluate, identify, and analyze artistic expression according to its medium, cultural and historical relevance; and
- requiring students to demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics and essential qualities, techniques, and processes of Visual Art media and disciplines.
These criteria are met through class lectures, required readings and on-line interactive discussions.
Two options for high school and college credit
Youth Options Program
This program for Wisconsin public high school juniors or seniors is offered at UW-Milwaukee during the fall and spring semesters. Students may take courses that will count toward meeting high school graduation requirements as well as earning college credit. The school district pays tuition, fees and other necessary materials directly related to the course(s). Admission requirements may be found on the UW-Milwaukee Admissions website: http://www4.uwm.edu/admission/highschool.cfm
Prior Learning Assessment
The Department of Architecture offers Arch 100 Architectural Making I for fall semester and Arch 103 Architectural Making II for spring semester free of tuition, (with a $290 technology convenience fee) to IL high schools and WI private high schools who can
- field a class of 12 juniors and/or seniors
- or individual students of good standing 3.25 GPA minimum
We highly suggest the high school advisors market the course to those students “keenly” interested in Architecture as a potential career.
The courses will count toward meeting high school graduation requirements as well as earning college credit at School of Architecture & Urban Planning.
Contact Professor Mark Keane with questions about course content.