Walking is a cost-effective and healthy way to get around campus.
Benefits of Walking
- It allows you to get exercise while enjoying the scenery and interacting with others along your path.
- It is easier and sometimes faster to walk than to drive or bike, especially during heavy traffic periods.
- Walking saves you the expense of gas, repairs, and other vehicle maintenance.
- It is much better for the environment than driving.
Be aware of your surroundings
- Look where you’re going
- Establish eye contact with motorists and bicyclists
- If listening to music, limit the volume
- Carry a cell phone in case of an emergency
Walk in well—lit areas.
- Be aware of the blue light phones for emergencies around campus The locations are viewable in a layer of the Transportation Services Map
- If possible, travel with a friend or in a group. Use S.A.F.E. Walkers escort service for help on select evenings see the commuting section for details.
Click the link for walking directions and estimated times to UWM sites.
You can use the RAVE Guardian app to as a virtual safe-walking companion.