The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning was awarded an Accessibility Grant by the UW System Office of Learning Technology Development to fund the creation of a workflow and software tool to automate the captioning of audio and video. The software component will allow instructors using the UW System-supported video tool, Kaltura to automatically caption video uploaded by way of automatic submission and billing from a third-party captioning service.
The development of this tool will aid in facilitating student access to online course content through the achievement of two goals: \develop a “workflow integrations” system that will provide fully automated captioning of online media (video and audio files) uploaded to D2L, and second is to pilot the automated captioning workflow by selecting high impact practice courses and supplying captioning services to these courses using the automated captioning workflow.
- Fall/Winter 2015
- Development and testing of application
- Spring/Summer 2016
- Request for proposals for captioning service award
- Review proposals and award captioning services for 1 – 2 courses
- Content to be captioned and delivered to students
- Survey instructors and student/data collection and analysis
- Application redevelopment
- Fall 2016
- Data analysis and reporting
- Final application redevelopment
- Identify ongoing funding for captioning services award