Universal Design centers on proactively developing learning environments that benefit a diverse set of learners, including students who need accommodations. The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) and the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) have developed this checklist for you to use to prepare your upcoming courses.
- Check your Canvas course site for accessibility
- Check Open Educational Resources (OER) and websites for accessibility
- Use only fully-accessible PDFs
- Provide all handouts digitally in Canvas
- Use heading styles in Word documents and web pages
- Use only captioned videos with descriptions
- Provide transcripts digitally for audio-only materials
- Provide text equivalents for graphics and images
- Include descriptive hyperlinks
- Use accessible fonts and colors with sufficient contrast
- Include an accommodations statement in your syllabus
- Use only supplemental technology tools that are ADA compliant
Please contact CETL@uwm.edu with any questions related to Universal Design for courses.