The Master’s Degree in Engineering provides an in-depth program of coursework through participation in research or design synthesis. Thesis development and defense is encouraged; however, if you have prior engineering or scientific work experience, we offer a non-thesis option that requires additional coursework in lieu of a thesis.
The Master’s Degree in Engineering does not require a rigid set of courses, so you have the flexibility to design your program of study that is compatible with your career objectives. This feature also makes the Master’s Degree a solid stepping stone for doctoral level study.
- 30 credits for the thesis option and 31 credits for the non-thesis option.
- Courses numbered 400 and above that carry a U/G or G credit designation may be taken for graduate credit.
- No more than three credits of independent study are allowed in the MS Program
- Courses required for a baccalaureate degree may not be used for subsequent graduate credit.
- A minimum of 15 credits in a technical program of studies, 9 of approved electives, and 6 thesis credits are required.
- At least 15 credits, not including thesis, must be in 700-level courses or higher.
- Required 3 credit Graduate Seminar course.
- At least 12 credits, including thesis, must be earned at UWM.
- 31 credits of coursework are required. The coursework must include a minimum of 21 credits in an approved technical program of study and 9 credits must be approved electives.
- At least 16 credits must be in 700-level courses or higher.
- At least 1 credit of the Graduate Seminar course
- Undergraduate major in engineering, mathematics, or a natural science.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official GRE scores from test taken within the past five years
- Applicants may be admitted with no more than two program-defined course deficiencies.
- International students require proof of English language proficiency. Complete information is available at the UWM Center for International Education at www.uwm.edu/Dept/CIE
Program changes effective with Spring 2014 admissions
Contact the UWM Graduate School: www.graduateschool.uwm.edu