The Master’s Degree in Engineering provides an in-depth program of coursework through participation in research or design synthesis. Thesis development and defense is encouraged; however, if you have prior engineering or scientific work experience, we offer a non-thesis option that requires additional coursework in lieu of a thesis.
The Master’s Degree in Engineering does not require a rigid set of courses, so you have the flexibility to design your program of study that is compatible with your career objectives. This feature also makes the Master’s Degree a solid stepping stone for doctoral level study.
- 30 credits for the thesis option and 31 credits for the non-thesis option.
- Courses numbered 400 and above that carry a U/G or G credit designation may be taken for graduate credit.
- No more than three credits of independent study are allowed in the MS Program
- Courses required for a baccalaureate degree may not be used for subsequent graduate credit.
- A minimum of 15 credits in a technical program of studies, 9 of approved electives, and 6 thesis credits are required.
- At least 15 credits, not including thesis, must be in 700-level courses or higher.
- Required 3 credit Graduate Seminar course.
- At least 12 credits, including thesis, must be earned at UWM.
- 31 credits of coursework are required. The coursework must include a minimum of 21 credits in an approved technical program of study and 9 credits must be approved electives.
- At least 16 credits must be in 700-level courses or higher.
- At least 1 credit of the Graduate Seminar course
- Undergraduate major in engineering, mathematics, or a natural science.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official GRE scores from test taken within the past five years
- Applicants may be admitted with no more than two program-defined course deficiencies.
- International students require proof of English language proficiency. Complete information is available at the UWM Center for International Education.
Program changes effective with Spring 2014 admissions
Contact the UWM Graduate School: www.graduateschool.uwm.edu