- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Jin Li’s current research focuses on the development of a smart and connected water/energy microgrid for the U.S. Air Force. She is working in collaboration with faculty members in electrical engineering and computer science on smart sensor networks, artificial intelligent based machine learning technologies for water and wastewater management.
With funding from federal agencies including the National Science Foundation, local industry and municipalities, she has studied the fate and transport of bacteria in porous media such as beach sands and groundwater, the use of nanomaterials and biotechnologies for water and wastewater treatment, bioremediation, and hazardous waste management.
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 2001
- MS, Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University, 1997
- BS, Environmental Engineering, Zhejiang University, 1994
- Smart sensor networks for water and wastewater management
- Fate and transport of colloids in porous media
- Hazardous waste management
- Nafsin, N., Bevers, B., Schruender, R.,Liao, Q., Li, J., 2021 “E. coli and Enterococci from Lake Michigan beach sand”, Environmental Engineering and Sciences, in print
- Nafsin, N and Li, J., 2021 “Using CANARY event detection software for water quality analysis in Milwaukee River”, Journal of Hydro-environment Research, in print.
- Shen, C.Q., Liao, Q., Titi, H, Li, J., 2018 “Turbidity of stormwater runoff from Wisconsin construction sites”, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144(8):04018061.
- Zhou, Y.C., Zhang, P., Zhang, Y.P., Li, J., Zhang, T. Q., 2017, “Total and settling velocity-fractioned pollution potential of sewer sediments in Jiaxing, China”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24:23133-23143.
- Shresta, J., Li, J., 2017, “Influence of permeate from domestic reverse osmosis filters on lead pipe corrosion and plastic pipe leaching”, Journal of Water Processing Engineering 18: 126-133.
- Tang, P., Yu, B.H., Zhou, Y.C., Zhang, Y.P., Li, J. 2017, “Clogging development and hydraulic performance of the Horizontal Subsurface Flow Stormwater Constructed Wetlands: a laboratory study”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24:9210-9219.
- Johanson, J. J., Feriancikova, L., Banerjee, A., Saffarini, D. A., Wang, L. X., Li, J., Grundl, T., Xu, S. P., 2014, “Comparison of the transport of Bacteroides fragilis and Escherichia coli within saturated sand packs”, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 123: 439-451.
- Tian, L.L., Xu, S.P., Hutchins, W.C., Yang, C.H., Li, J., 2014, “Impacts of exopolysacchrides on P. aeruginosa surface functional groups and adhesion”, Biofouling 30 (2): 213-222.
- Wang, L.X., Xu, S. P.,Yang, C. H., Yamazaki, A., Li, J., 2013, “A laboratory study of E. coli O157:H7 contamination in groundwater”, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 140(9): A4013001.
- Feriancikova, L., Bardy, S., Wang, L.X., Li, J., Xu, S.P., 2013, “Effects of outer membrane protein TolC on the transport of Escherichia coli within saturated quartz sands", Environmental Science and Technology. 47(11): 5720-5728.
- Walczak1, J.J., Wang L.X., Feriancikova1, L., Li, J, Xu, S.P., 2012, “Effects of desiccation on the survival and transport of E. coli K12 in saturated porous media”, Air Water and Soil Pollution, 223(3): 1353-1362.
- Walczak1, J.J., Wang L.X., Bardy S. L., Feriancikova1, L., Li, J., Xu, S.P., 2012, “The effects of starvation on the transport of Escherichia coli in saturated porous media are dependent on pH and ionic strength”, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 90 (1): 129-136.
- Yamazaki, A., Li, J., Zeng, Q., Khokhani, D., Yost, A. C., Biddle, E., Toone, E. J., Chen, X., Yang, C. H., 2012, “Derivatives of plant phenolic compounds affect the type III secretion system of Pseudomonas aeruginosa via a GACs/GACa two component transduction”, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 56(1): 36-43.
- Wang, L.X., Xu, S.P., Li, J., 2011, “Effects of phosphate on the transport of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in saturated quartz sand”, Environmental Science and Technology, 45: 9566–9573.
- Okwadha, G., Li, J. 2011 “Biocontainment of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on flat concrete surfaces by microbial carbonate precipitation”, Journal of Environmental Management, 92: 2860-2864.