Helping make connections and supporting successful outcomes for our engineering and computer science students even after graduation.
Tap into a wealth of knowledge, experience and connections when you work with the college’s career services office. The department hosts two annual engineering and computer science career fairs, connects our best grads and newest students at alumni speaker and networking events, and offers a career-prep course that covers resume writing, interviewing, networking and more.
A bachelor’s degree from UWM’s College of Engineering pays great dividends.
*UWM First Destination Survey December, 2021; as voluntarily reported by graduating undergraduate students.
Providing you valuable experience (and a paycheck!)
UWM’s location gives you with easy access to hands-on work experiences to complement your classroom learning. Paid internships and co-ops provide you with valuable industry insights about your future career. These professional work experiences also can be an important source of funding.
Internships are typically part time during the academic year and full time during the summer. It’s not unusual for a student to earn over $8,000 during a summer internship.
A co-op involves a commitment of at least three terms, with at least one occurring during the Fall or Spring semester. Students participating in a co-op are also eligible to receive one credit per term enrolled, which may also help in fulfilling technical electives. Co-op students maintain their full-time student status.
Handshake enables students to explore career fairs and virtual events, search and apply for jobs, paid co-ops and internships, and schedule on-campus interviews.
With Handshake You Can:
- Browse and register for in-person and virtual career fairs and employer information sessions.
- Explore thousands of jobs, co-ops and internships from thousands of nationwide employers.
- Receive personalized job recommendations based on your major, interests and more.
- Manage campus interviews with top employers.
To Get Started:
- Visit Handshake.
- Activate your account by clicking the blue button or entering your UWM email address.
- Complete your profile and start exploring!
Terms and Conditions:
Check out Handshake’s Student Help Center.
Two career fairs per year: exclusively for engineering and computer science students
Our college’s Industry Expo career fairs help engineering and computer science meet industry matches. Where connections are made and careers are launched, typically more than 100 employers attend, seeking talent for careers, co-ops and internships.
We’ll help you achieve your career goals:
- Professional Seminar Class (EAS 200): Learn how to write a dynamic resume, interview with confidence, and make the industry connections to help build your career.
- One-on-One Support: Get help with everything from finding the right internship to evaluating job offers. Begin by scheduling an appointment with our career services director.
- Big Interview: Big Interview is a free online system that combines training and practice to help improve your interview techniques and build your confidence. There are a variety of tools you can use, including:
- Practice challenging interview questions with the ability to record, review and share your answers to obtain feedback.
- Choose from dozens of interviews and over 20 different industries/majors.
- Utilize nearly 40 lessons and learn all the best interviewing techniques to get you on track.
- Save your practice interviews to review later and get feedback from others.
- Get started*:
- Handshake: Allows students to explore career fairs and virtual events, search and apply for jobs, paid co-ops and internships, and schedule on-campus interviews.
Just a few of the many companies that hire our graduates:
- Astronautics Corporation of America
- Briggs & Stratton Corporation
- Charter Steel
- Direct Supply
- Ford Motor Company
- GE Healthcare
- Generac Power Systems, Inc.
- General Motors
- Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- HUSCO International, Inc.
- JP Cullen
- Johnson Controls
- Kohler Company
- Leonardo DRS
- Master Lock
- Mercury Marine
- Milwaukee Tool
- Modine Manufacturing
- Northwestern Mutual
- Molson Coors
- RA Smith
- Raytheon Missile Systems
- Rockwell Automation
- STRATTEC Security
- We Energies
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation