- Associate Professor, Materials Science & Engineering Department
- Director, Advanced Analysis Facility
Dr. Church joined the UW-Milwaukee faculty after graduate school and working for Modine Manufacturing in Racine, Wis. as a technical advisor in the metallurgical lab. His real-world experience brings energy to his research interests, which revolve around energy, efficiency, and manufacturing. He has worked on diverse projects such as welding and brazing, alloys for petrochemical processing, and materials for Li-Ion and Pb-Acid battery systems. A recipient of the College of Engineering & Applied Science “Excellence in Teaching” award in 2012, Dr. Church is active in several professional societies and is the faculty advisor for the UWM Chapter of Material Advantage. For more information about Dr. Church's research, please see his personal website.
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- MS, Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- BS, Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1997
- Electron microscopy; and x-ray diffraction
- Energy storage
- High temperature oxidation and corrosion
- Novel processing of metals, ceramics, and composites
- Physical metallurgy
- Thermal analysis of materials
- Thermodynamics; processing-structure-property relations
- Ortiz, Lizeth, Kao Yang, and Benjamin Church. “Performance of Alumina-Forming Alloys under Coking–Decoking Cycles.” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, May 28, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.0c00563.
- Muralidharan, Govindarajan, Mike Howell, Margarita Petrova, Michael Brady, Yukinori Yamamoto, Roman Pankiw, Don Voke, Tim Wilson, Jim Myers, and Ben Church. “Development of Novel Alloys for Use in Ethylene Cracking Furnaces.” AIChE, 2020. https://aiche.confex.com/aiche/s20/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/590472.
- Church, Benjamin. “Capstone Meets Pandemic; Experiences of Students and Mentors Working through the COVID-19 Lockdown.” Virtual: TMS, 2020.
- Nezafati, Marjan, Ali Bakhshinejad, Benjamin Church, and Pradeep Rohatgi. “Finite Element Analysis of Particle Pushing During Selective Laser Melting of AlSi10Mg/AlN Composites.” In TMS 2019 148th Annual Meeting & Exhibition Supplemental Proceedings, 339–46. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-05861-6_31.
- Li, Shengyi, and Benjamin C. Church. “Effects of Sulfate and Nitrate Anions on Aluminum Corrosion in Slightly Alkaline Solution.” Applied Surface Science 440 (May 15, 2018): 861–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.01.108.
- Church, Benjamin C., and Nidal H. Abu-Zahra. “Improving the Senior Design Experience: A Stepwise Process with Aligned Benefits for Students and Faculty.” JOM 70, no. 8 (August 1, 2018): 1363–65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-3018-6.
- Wanninayake, Aruna P., Benjamin C. Church, and Nidal Abu-Zahra. “CuO NPs Incorporated Single and Double Junction Polymer Solar Cells.” Int. J. Nanoelectronics and Materials 10, no. 2 (2017): 137–46.
- Li, Shengyi, and Benjamin C. Church. “Electrochemical Stability of Aluminum Current Collector in Aqueous Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Electrolytes.” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 47, no. 7 (July 1, 2017): 839–53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10800-017-1081-2.
- Church, Benjamin, Elmer A. Prenzlow, Lizeth Ortiz, and James Myers. “Oxidation Kinetics of Cast Alumina-Forming Austenitic Alloys in Steam.” In NACE-2017-9785. New Orleans, LA: NACE International, 2017. https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/NACE-2017-9785.
- Li, S. Y., and B. C. Church. “Effect of Aqueous-Based Cathode Slurry PH and Immersion Time on Corrosion of Aluminum Current Collector in Lithium-Ion Batteries.” Materials and Corrosion 67, no. 9 (September 1, 2016): 978–87. https://doi.org/10.1002/maco.201608843.
- Wanninayake, Aruna P., Subhashini Gunashekar, Shengyi Li, Benjamin C. Church, and Nidal Abu-Zahra. “CuO Nanoparticles Based Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells: Investigations on Morphology and Performance.” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 137, no. 3 (June 1, 2015): 031016–031016. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4029542.
- Wanninayake, Aruna P., Subhashini Gunashekar, Shengyi Li, Benjamin C. Church, and Nidal Abu-Zahra. “Effect of Thermal Annealing on the Power Conversion Efficiency of CuO-Bulk Heterojunction P3HT/ PC70BM Solar Cells.” Journal of Sustainable Energy Engineering 3, no. 2 (November 12, 2015): 107–26. https://doi.org/10.7569/JSEE.2014.629521.
- Sheng, Yangping, Christopher R. Fell, Yong Kyu Son, Bernhard M. Metz, Junwei Jiang, and Benjamin C. Church. “Effect of Calendering on Electrode Wettability in Lithium-Ion Batteries.” Energy Storage 2 (2014): 56. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenrg.2014.00056.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- College of Engineering & Applied Science “Excellence in Teaching”, 2012
- ASM-Milwaukee, Milwaukee Chapter, Hall of Fame Award, 2016
- ASM-International, Milwaukee Chapter, Service Award, 2013
- ASM-Milwaukee, Executive board member (2008-Present)
- ASM Milwaukee, Chapter Treasurer (2019-Present)