- Richard and Joanne Grigg Professorship
- Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Prior to coming to the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Junjie Niu was a Postdoctoral Associate in Departments of Nuclear & Materials Science and Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Materials Science in 2005. He was a faculty member at Shanghai JiaoTong University (SJTU) before joining Prof. Yury Gogotsi's group at Drexel as a Postdoc. From 2011 to 2014, he moved to Prof. Ju Li's group at UPenn and MIT, developing a new lab and leading experimental research. Dr. Niu’s interdisciplinary research includes understanding fundamental science in physics/chemistry, and engineering materials in applications of energy storage, water treatments and chemo-mechanics.
Niu has published more than 80 papers in prestigious journals including Nature sister journals--Nature Nanotechnology and Nature Communications and two book chapters; By 3/2022, his total citation was 11,500+ times with a H-index of 44 and i10 index of 102.
- PhD (Combined with MS), Materials Physics and Chemistry, Zhejiang University, China, 2005
- BS, Material Science, Shandong Institute of Light Industry, China, 2000
- Next-generation lithium-ion and beyond batteries
- NMC based battery and polymer recycling
- Fundamental mechanism of electro-chemo-mechanical property of materials using in-situ TEM observations
- Water-energy nexus: self-cleaning, water purification including bacteria/biofilm/POPs/chemicals/bacteria/chloroform removal
- M Samuel, M Shang, Junjie Niu. Photocatalytic degradation of perfluoroalkyl substances in water by using a duo-functional tri-metallic-oxide hybrid catalyst. Chemosphere, 293 (2022) 133568.
- M Samuel, S Moghaddam, M Shang, Junjie Niu. A flexible anti-biofilm hygiene coating for water devices. ACS Applied Bio Materials, 5 (2022) 3991–3998.
- M Shang, M Samuel, S Biswas, Junjie Niu. Dual-layered SiO2nanoparticles and epoxy polymers for self-cleaning coatings on ceramic glaze. ACS Applied Nano Materials. 5 (2022) 15934–15941.
- M Shang, X Chen, Junjie Niu. Nickel-rich layered LiNi0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2 with dual gradients on both primary and secondary particles in lithium-ion batteries. Cell Reports Physical Science, Cell Press, 3 (2022) 100767.
- X Chen, M Shang, Junjie Niu. Pre-Solid Electrolyte Interphase-Covered Li Metal Anode with Improved Electro-Chemo-Mechanical Reliability in High-Energy-Density Batteries. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 13 (2021) 34064-34071.
- Y Zheng, X Li, W Fullerton, Q Qian, M Shang, Junjie Niu, C Y Li. Interpenetrating Network-Based Hybrid Solid and Gel Electrolytes for High Voltage Lithium Metal Batteries. ACS Applied Energy Materials,4 (2021) 5639-5648.
- Z Hood, X Chen, R Sacci, X Liu, G Veith, Y Mo, Junjie Niu, N Dudney, M Chi. Elucidating interfacial stability between lithium metal anode and LiPON via in situ electron microscopy. Nano Letters,21 (2021) 151-157.
- X Li, Y Zheng, Y Duan, M Shang, Junjie Niu, C Li. Designing Comb-Chain Crosslinker-Based Solid Polymer Electrolytes for Additive-Free All-Solid-State Lithium Metal Batteries. Nano Letters,20 (2020), 6914-6921.
- X Chen, M Shang, Junjie Niu. Inter-layer-calated thin Li metal electrode with improved battery capacity retention and dendrite suppression. Nano Letters,20 (2020), 2639-2646.
- M Shang, X Chen, B Li, Junjie Niu. A fast charge/discharge and wide-temperature battery with germanium oxide layer on TiCA3 MXene matrix as anode. ACS Nano,14 (2020), 3678-3686.
- S Klimchuk, M Shang, M Samuel, Junjie Niu. A robust hybrid hydrophilic coating on HDPE surface with enhanced mechanical property. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces,12 (2020), 32017-32022.
- Y Lu, M Shang, X, Chen, P Nezhad, Junjie Niu, Largely improved battery performance using micro-sized silicon skeleton caged by polypyrrole as anode. ACS Nano,13 (2019), 12032-12041.
- X Chen, Y Lv, M Shang, Junjie Niu. Iron controllable lithium into lithiotropic carbon fiber fabric: a novel Li metal anode with improved cyclability and dendrite suppression. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11 (2019), 21584-21592.
- Y Ye, S Klimchuk, M Shang, K McDonald, Junjie Niu. Acoustic bubble suppression by constructing a hydrophilic coating on HDPE surface. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces,11(2019), 16944-16950.
- S Kang, Xi Chen, and Junjie Niu. Sn wears super skin: a new design for long cycling batteries. Nano Letters, 18 (2018) 467-474.
- J Liu, Xi Chen, J Kim, Q Zheng, H Ning, P Sun, X Huang, J Liu, Junjie Niu, and P. Braun. High volumetric capacity three-dimensionally sphere-caged secondary battery anodes. Nano Letters, 16 (2016) 4501-4507.
- Junjie Niu, A Kushima, X Qian, L Qi, K Xiang, YM Chiang, J Li. In situ observation of random solid solution zone in LiFePO4electrode. Nano Letters, 14 (2014) 4005-4010.
- Junjie Niu, A. Kushima, M. Li, Z. Wang, W. Li, C. Wang, J. Li, Scalable synthesis of sulfur nanosponge cathode for lithium-sulfur battery with improved cyclability.Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2 (2014) 19788-19796.
- V Presser, L Zhang, Junjie Niu, et al. Flexible carbide-derived carbon nano-felts with ultra-high power handling capability.Advanced Energy Materials, 1 (2011) 423-430. (plus Front Cover)
- M Nagui, M Kurtoglu, V Presser, J Lu, Junjie Niu, et al. Two-dimensional nanocrystals produced by exfoliation of Ti3AlC2.Advanced Materials, 23 (2011) 4248-4253. (plus Front Cover)
- Xia, J Wang, X Wang, Junjie Niu, et al. Synthesis and application of graphitic carbon with high surface area.Advanced Functional Materials, 18 (2008) 1790-1798.
- J Wang, L Zhang, Junjie Niu, et al. Synthesis of high surface area, water-dispersible graphitic carbon nanocages by an in situ template approach.Chemistry of Materials, 19 (2007) 453-459.
- R Singhal, Z Orynbayeva, R Sundaram, Junjie Niu, et al. Multifunctional nanotube-based cellular endoscopes.Nature Nanotechnology, 6 (2011) 57-64.
- Junjie Niu, et al. Carbon nanotube-tipped endoscope for in situ intracellular surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy.Small, 7 (2011) 540-545.
- J Huang, Y Lo, Junjie Niu, et al. Nanowire liquid pumps.Nature Nanotechnology, 8 (2013) 277-281.
Awards, Honors, and Societies
- Niu group has received several millions of dollars research grants, which are sponsored by a variety of agencies including federal agencies such as NSF and industries.
- Dr.Niu has received a series of awards including but not limited to, 2020 Office of Research/ UWM Foundation Research Award, Ignite Grant Program for Applied Research Award for 2020-2021, MRS Best Presentation Award, 2019, Outstanding Research Award, 2019.
- UWMF Technology Licensing Award, 2018, and Shanghai “ChenGuang” Scholar (2007).