- Associate Professor, Materials Science & Engineering
- Department Chair, Materials Science & Engineering
Dr. Abu-Zahra's focus is on expanding our knowledge on contemporary issues such as cost-effectively harnessing solar energy, the sustainability of foam extrusion, and the functionality of commodity plastics. His lab is capable of synthesizing an array of polymeric materials (thermoplastics, elastomers, and thermosets) with specific characteristics (physical, thermal, and mechanical) or functional properties. Currently, he is working on synthesizing new polymer and polymer-composite foams capable of removing heavy metal toxics from drinking water at low levels (ppb) and high cation exchange rates.
- PhD, Industrial Engineering, Cleveland State University (Ohio), 1996
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Manchester (UK), 1994
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Jordan (Jordan), 1992
- Polymer composites & processing
- Water filtration
- Polymer solar cells
POLYMERS – Composites & Processing
- “The effect of particle size of fly ash on the interfacial interaction and performance of PVC/FA composites”, Parisa Khoshnoud and Nidal Abu-Zahra. Journal of Vinyl & Additive Technology, 12 March 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/vnl.21633
- “Kinetics of Thermal Decomposition of PVC/Fly Ash Composites,” Parisa Khoshnoud and Nidal Abu-Zahra. International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 23(2): 170-180 (2018).
- “Properties of Rigid PVC Foam Composites Reinforced with Different Shape Fillers,” Parisa Khoshnoud and Nidal Abu-Zahra. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 30(11): 1541-1559 (2016).
- “Evaluating recyclability of fly ash reinforced polyvinyl chloride foams,” Parisa Khoshnoud, Jon Carl Wolgamott, Nidal Abu-Zahra. Journal of Vinyl & Additive Technology, 4(9): 1-8 (2015).
- “Mechanical Properties and Dimensional Stability of Rigid PVC Foam Composites Filled with High Aspect Ratio Phlogopite Mica,” Murtatha M. Jamel, Parisa Khoshnoud, Subhashini Gunashekar, Nidal Abu-Zahra. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 3(4): 237-247 (2015).
- “Enhanced Dimensional Stability of Rigid PVC Foams Using Glass Fibers,” Nidal H. Abu-Zahra, Murtatha M. Jamel, Parisa Khoshnoud, Subhashini Gunashekar. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 9(1): 1-7 (2015).
- “Effect of E-Glass Fibers and Phlogopite Mica on the Mechanical Properties and Dimensional Stability of Rigid PVC Foams,” Murtatha M. Jamel, Parisa Khoshnoud, Subhashini Gunashekar, Nidal Abu-Zahra. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 54(15): 1560-1570 (2015).
- “Effect of reaction parameters on Arsenic removal capacity from aqueous solutions using modified magnetic PU foam”, S.Tamaddoni Moghaddam, H.Ghasemi, F.B. Hussein, Nidal Abu-Zahra. Int. J. of Environmental Science and Technology, Under Review.
- “Decolorization of wastewater by heterogeneous Fenton reaction using MnO2-Fe3O4/CuO hybrid catalysts”, Homa Ghasemi; Saeed Mozaffari; Seyed Hesam Mousavi; Behzad Aghabarari; Nidal Abu-Zahra. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. Available on-line 15 January 2021, 105091.
- “High efficiency decolorization of wastewater by Fenton catalyst: Magnetic iron-copper hybrid oxides”, Homa Ghasemi, Behzad Aghabarari, Mehdi Alizadeh, Ali Khanlarkhani, Nidal Abu-Zahra. J. Water Process Engineering, 37-101540 (2020).
- “Synthesis and Characterization of Highly Crystalline Na-X Zeolite from Class F Fly Ash”, Saeed Golbad, Parisa Khoshnoud, Garrett Keleney, Nidal Abu-Zahra, Water and Environment Journal. Vol 34, issue 3, August 2020.
- “Towards developing a low-cost gravity-driven arsenic filtration system using iron oxide nanoparticle-loaded PU foam”, Arundhati Pillai, M. Amin F. Zarandi, Faten B. Hussein, Krishna M. Pillai, Nidal H. Abu-Zahra. Water Quality Research Journal, 55(3): 234-248 (2020). doi: 10.2166/wqrj.2020.027
ENERGY – Organic Photovoltaic Cells
- “A Molecular Dynamics Study of the Binding Effectiveness between Undoped Conjugated Polymer Binders and Tetra-sulfides in Lithium–Sulfur Batteries”, Yihan Xu, Dong Zheng, Weixiao Ji, Nidal Abu-Zahra, Deyang Qu. Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol 203, February 1, 2021, 108531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2020.108531
- “Surface wetting of silver-doped sol-gel ZnO films”, Reed T. Heintzkill, Karl Cecil Flanagan-Morris, and Nidal H. Abu-Zahra. J. Surface Engineering, 36(6): 607-613 (2020).
- “Enhanced morphological and optoelectronic properties of organic solar cells incorporating CuO, ZnO and Au nanoparticles”, Aruna Wanninayake and Nidal Abu-Zahra, Journal of Materials and Environmental Science, Volume 11, Issue 11, Page 1874-1884 (2020).
- “CuO NPs Incorporated Single and Double Junction Polymer Solar Cells,” Aruna Wanninayake, Benjamin Church, Nidal Abu-Zahra. International Journal of Nanoelectronics and Materials, 10(2): 137-146 (2017).
- “Annealing Effect on ZnO-NPs Buffer Layer Assembled Organic Solar Cells synthesized with CuO Nanoparticles,” Aruna Wanninayake, Benjamin Church, Nidal Abu-Zahra. Advanced Materials Letters, 8(1): 08-12 (2016).
METALS (Process Monitoring)
- “Gradual Wear Monitoring of Turning Inserts Using Wavelet Analysis of Ultrasound Waves,” Nidal H. Abu-Zahra and Gang Yu. The International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 43(4): 337-343 (2003).
- “Tool Chatter Monitoring in Turning Using Wavelet Analysis of Ultrasound Waves,” N. H. Abu-Zahra and J. H. Lange. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 20(4): 248-254 (2002).
- “Analytical Model for Tool Wear Monitoring in Turning Operations Using Ultrasound Waves,” Nidal H. Abu-Zahra and Gang Yu. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 40(11): 1619-1635 (2000).
- “Multi-Functional Sensor for On-Line Tool Condition Monitoring in Turning Operations,” Taysir H. Nayfeh and Nidal H. Abu-Zahra. Journal of Materials Evaluation, 56(3): 443-448 (1998).
- “Calibrated Method for Ultrasonic On-Line Monitoring of Gradual Wear During Turning Operations,” Nidal H. Abu-Zahra and Taysir H. Nayfeh. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 37(10): 1475-1484 (1997).
- “On-Line Ultrasonic Tool Chipping Detection during Turning Operations,” Nidal H. Abu-Zahra and Taysir H. Nayfeh. Journal of Engineering Design and Automation, 3(3): 245-254 (1997).