Concerns, Complaints, and Appeals

In general, we encourage members of the campus community to share their concerns directly with the individual or unit of concern. In many cases, a remedy can be achieved by taking this step. However, if a satisfactory outcome is not achieved, the complaint can be brought to the supervisor or department chair. At this step, we recommend that concern is put in writing to ensure understanding.

UWM has several formal processes to address concerns, grievances, appeals, and complaints. Here are the processes that students most commonly utilize. If you do not see a process, please contact the unit directly to inquire more about their process. You can also contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance.

Academic Disputes

Academic departments hear complaints and appeals related to grades, instructors, courses, or academic programs. Students can also submit complaints to their Academic Dean if their concern is unresolved by the academic department or appeal committee. Procedures for these matters are set by the school or college and follow this UWM grade appeal policy.

Students can also make requests to their academic departments to add or drop courses after the deadlines or to withdraw from all courses. Students are encouraged to work with their academic advisor regarding these matters.

Students may also contact the appropriate assistant or associate dean within their school or college for additional support:

Tuition and Fee Appeals

The Tuition and Fee Appeal process is for students who believe their tuition charges are incorrect due to university error.

Medical Withdrawals

Students who experience a serious and unexpected condition during the academic semester that completely prevents them from being able to function as a student may apply for a Medical Withdrawal.

Hate or Bias Concerns

Office of Equity and Diversity Services, 414-229-5923, or fill out a report.

Concerns/Issues About Another Student

Report violence, harassment, threats, theft, drug or alcohol usage and other heath and safety concerns to Report It. All reports are received by the Dean of Students Office.

Residence Hall Concerns & Appeals

University Housing, 414-229-4065. This includes appeals related to housing contracts or other matters in the Residence Halls.

Parking Tickets

Transportation Services, 414-229-4000 or file an appeal.

Issues with an on-campus job

Student Employment Grievance Process on Page 18 of the employee manual. First discuss the problem with your supervisor. If not satisfied, talk to his or her supervisor. If still dissatisfied with the results, you can file an appeal in the Dean of Students Office.

Dean of Students Office Guidance

Students can contact the Dean of Students Office for guidance in navigating a complaint or concern. The Dean of Students Office provides assistance to students by listening to students’ concerns, discussing options, going over policies, and connecting students to appropriate resources. The Dean of Students Office promotes students’ agency and empowerment throughout the complaint process and works to ensure that students receive fair and equitable consideration.

Students can submit a request for assistance in navigating a concern, issue, complaint or grievance by completing a Complaint Form.

UW System Anonymous Hotline

The UW System Hotline is an anonymous way to report any instances of fraud, waste, and abuse you might encounter in your studies or while at work.