Are you a current UWM undergraduate student dealing with unforeseen expenses?
Is this financial emergency making it difficult for you to stay in college?
Students may apply for a UWM Emergency Grant to help cover expenses related to an unforeseen financial emergency. The UWM Emergency Grant is not intended to support ongoing or recurring expenses. Students seeking to apply for the grant will meet with a Dean of Students Office staff member who will review their circumstances and help identify potential campus and community resources to support them in their continued success at UWM. Students who are awarded this grant may be required to participate in follow-up meetings with a DOS staff member.
The number of recipients and amount of funding provided will be determined by the Dean of Students Office. Generally the Dean of Students Office will disburse funds directly to a third party for students who are provided a UWM Emergency Grant, in some cases grant funds may be given to students in the form of a gift card. In most cases, funds will be available within 2 business days.
The UWM Emergency Grant can be used to cover unforeseen expenses such as:
- Medical/Dental Expenses
- Personal Automobile Expenses
UWM Emergency Grant funds cannot be used to cover:
- Entertainment Expenses
- Credit Card Bills
- Legal Fees
If you are unsure if you meet the eligibility criteria, contact the Dean of Students Office at 414-229-4632 or email@example.com to discuss your situation.
UWM Emergency Grant recipients must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate student in a degree granting program
- Complete the FAFSA for the 2018-2019 school year and have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $7000 or less
- Provide documentation of the financial emergency
- To receive the grant faster, attach supporting documents when you apply
- Examples include: car repair estimates, medical bills, lease agreements, childcare bills, etc.
- Have never received a UWM Emergency Grant before
Do you meet these criteria? Undergraduate students can apply for the UWM Emergency Grant at uwm.dreamkeepers.org
Emergency Grant for students of UW-Milwaukee at Washington County and UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha
The UW Colleges Emergency Grant is available to students who experience an unexpected financial crisis that would cause them to be unable to complete the term. If you have questions about the UW Colleges Emergency Grant, or your eligibility to receive Emergency Grant funding, please contact your campus Solution Center.
The UW Colleges Emergency Grant can be used to cover unforeseen expenses such as:
- Medical expenses
- Travel expenses for a family emergency
- Replacement of stolen items or items damaged by fire
- Car repairs
Please note that no more than two grants can be awarded per academic year per student. Awards cannot exceed $500 total.
The UW Colleges Emergency Grant cannot be used to cover expenses such as:
- Student fees
- Alcohol or tobacco
- Legal fees
- Fines or forfeitures stemming from legal violations
- Credit card bills
- Utility bills
To apply, click here. Please note that login is required.