Borrowing a Laptop
All devices have been checked out for Fall 2023. Students may check out ChromeBooks from the UWM Library on a short term basis.
Please check out additional technology resources below.
The UWM Laptop Loan Program is designed to help students get through a short-term emergency. UWM has a very limited number of used Dell laptops and Macbooks made available by private donors. Devices are not new.
The Dean of Students Office will notify students within 10 days of submitting an application on whether they have been selected to receive a device or have been placed on a waiting list.
- Devices are not available for students to complete workplace responsibilities. Students who need a device for their campus job or teaching assistantship should talk to their department.
- Current student enrolled at least half time.
- Enrolled in the term in which the device is requested.
- Enrolled in a degree-seeking or certificate program.
- No disciplinary holds and good standing with the University.
- Demonstrated financial need that hinders continued enrollment and success at UWM.
- Reasonably exhausted all other resources (e.g., computer lab, student loans, friends and family, etc.).
- Students are only eligible to check out a device for one semester throughout the entirety of their enrollment at UWM.
Priority is given eligible applicants who have demonstrated financial need, and have previously not borrowed a device.
- Students are required to return devices at the end of each semester.
- Students will be responsible for costs associated with late, lost, or damaged devices.
- Students must agree to the terms provided when checking out the device at the library.
- The UWM Help Desk (414-229-4040) will be able to provide tech support similar to what you would receive if you sought assistance for a personal computer.
All devices have been checked out for Fall 2023. Please check out the “Additional Technology Resources” section below.
If you are interested in borrowing a device, please click on the link below to fill out a UWM Laptop Loan Request Form. Please be sure to answer all questions thoroughly.
UWM Laptop Loan Request Form
The Dean of Student office will review new requests on a weekly basis. The Library will contact you within 10 business days to provide instructions on how to pick up a device, or to let you know if devices are no longer available.
Devices must be picked up within 7 days. If a device is not picked up within 7 days, the reservation will be cancelled and the device will be loaned to the next student on the waiting list.
Due Date: Fall 2023 Laptops must be returned by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 22, 2023.
Campus Computer Labs
Click on the Campus Computer Labs link to find a list of available labs.
Google Chromebooks are also available at the UWM Library. Please note that the Google Chromebooks may only be loaned for a maximum of 7 days.
Purchase a New Laptop
Students can also shop online for a new MacBook or Dell Laptop from the UWM TechShop and have your purchase shipped to you.
Purchase a Used Laptop or Computer
If you would rather purchase an affordable device, UWM Surplus often has reasonably priced computers and laptops available for sale. Go to the Shop UWM Surplus Facebook page to view inventory or contact UWM Surplus by email or phone at 414-659-1391. Surplus is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. by appointment only. It is located in the University Services and Research Building north of North First St. and East Capital Drive.
Students can also shop online for a new computer from the UWM TechShop and have your purchase shipped to you.
Students may be eligible for discounts of up to $30/month for internet service ($75 for qualifying tribal lands) and up to $100 for a 1 time purchase of a laptop. Students who receive Pell Grants and/or Food Share are eligible. The Federal Affordable Connectivity Program site lists additional ways that students may be eligible.
Students must apply at https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/ AND contact their internet provider (who may have an additional application). Here are a few internet providers:
Please review the Resources for Students page for additional resources.