• Washington County Surplus Information:
    • The surplus offerings from Washington County are being managed by CH Coakley. The UWM Surplus program is not managing that inventory, process, website, or the delivery of items. All questions should be directed to
    • For departments requesting items from Washington County, CH Coakley will begin delivering those throughout May and June. Departments MUST have space available to store all new incoming items and any outgoing items you plan on replacing. Surplus Declarations for items being replaced by this project will be picked up after July 22nd due to summer staffing capacity.
    • If there is an increase in incoming declarations due to this project, all Surplus Declarations will be placed in a queue and processed in the order in which they are received. Please plan your requests and space accordingly.
    • Items from Washington County are available for business use at UWM only. The items are not for personal use.
  • Surplus Closures:
    • Surplus will be closed from May 13th – May 21st.
    • Surplus will not be able to receive incoming materials from Surplus Declarations between July 3rd – July 22nd. We will be open for a limited number of scheduled appointments during this time. You can still submit your declarations during this time – they will be placed in a queue and picked up after July 22nd.
    • Due to large projects happening on campus (Chemistry, Washington County, large departmental projects), expect abnormal delays this summer in having your Surplus Declarations picked up. During times of high volumes, Surplus Declarations will be placed in a queue. Declarations will be picked up in the order in which they are received.
  • Surplus Announcements:
    • The Surplus “Pop-Up” Shop is closed for summer. Check back in the fall!
    • We do not have computers available for sale.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

To schedule a Surplus Appointment or see what we have in stock, please contact us at or 414-229-3465  

Viewings by appointment only*

*We have a small team and require appointments to ensure we are able to assist you.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

About UWM Surplus

The UWM Surplus Program helps manage unwanted furniture, equipment, electronics, and supplies from campus. This is achieved by either finding a new use for items on campus, selling items online to the public via auction, donating to area non-profits, or recycling items as scrap. Due to the cost & risk of this upcycling, only university purchased materials may be included.

Note: All UWM departments must adhere to State Procurement Manual PRO-416 when disposing, selling, or otherwise getting rid of State Surplus Property.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Getting Rid of Campus Items

The Surplus program is designed to reduce campus clutter, divert landfill waste, and find ways to repurpose or recycle items no longer needed by the university. If you have unwanted items that your office or department needs to get rid of, fill out the Surplus Declaration Form and assemble items for Surplus.

Please note: NO LIQUIDS, CHEMICALS, OR HAZARDOUS WASTE should ever be sent to Surplus. Please contact University Safety & Assurances.

A $43.75 fee applies to each surplus declaration. Departments submitting surplus declarations must empty shelves, cabinets, storage, etc. and box any loose items prior to items being picked up (the movers will not pack items for you – this is the responsibility of the declaring department).  Excessive volumes, or pickups including multiple locations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Additional work order charges may apply for declarations that include:

  1. Items which are abandonned or in a state of dissarray; items left in cabinets and on shelves requiring addtional support for packing; or items not otherwise ready for pickup.
  2. Surplus items generated as a result of a capital project, departmental move, demolition, or other major project.
  3. Items in multiple buildings or items exceeding reasonable volumes (e.g. 1 truckload).
  4. Items requiring disassembly by Trades staff.

Important Process Change Regarding Computers: Departments getting rid of computers must contact Campus Technology Services (CTS) at prior to submitting the Surplus Declaration Form (select the “Other” category for Incident Type). CTS will review your department’s computers to determine reusability, wipe data from the machines, and remove devices from UWM asset records. Please plan for additional processing time, especially for large quantities of computers.

Surplus Declaration for Capital Equipment
It is imperative to provide inventory tag numbers for capital equipment which has an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more, whether purchased outright, acquired through a capital lease, or through donation on the Surplus Form. The inventory number can usually be found near other identifying information on a piece of equipment, and is on a metallic silver tag reading “Property of University of Wisconsin Milwaukee” followed by an inventory number.  Capital equipment includes certain constructed or fabricated items and certain component parts with an aggregate value of $5,000 or more. It does not include real property (land), software or liability holdings. Responsibility for properly reporting capital equipment is the responsibility of the department declaring it. More information can be found here.

Please read all instructions on the page before declaring surplus.

In order to keep the surplus program viable, there is a $43.75 handling charge to departments for each surplus submission. This fee primarily covers waste and recycling charges and is NOT a moving charge.


Department Revenue Sharing for Sale of Replacement Property
If your department is interested in receiving revenue from the potential sale of State Replacement Property (as defined in the Wisconsin Accounting Manaul 07.09), please review and submit our Revenue Sharing Procedure here. Revenue sharing only applies to Replacement Property which sell for over $500. Contact us if you have questions.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Finding Items for Campus Reuse

Surplus is a great resource for obtaining new-to-you items for campus use. Our stock rotates frequently, and commonly stocked items include office chairs, desks, tables, storage cabinets, computer monitors, speakers, mice & keyboards, a selection of cords, binders, office supplies, and much more!  All items are available for campus use at no charge, but pickup is the responsibility of the recipient through departmental means or by putting in a Chargable Work Order with Facility Services to request assistance with moving/delivering your items.

To see what is available, please contact UW-Milwaukee Surplus at  Viewings by appointment only.
University Services & Research Building- Surplus door
4090 N 1st St
Glendale, WI 53212
(One block north of 1st and Capital Drive)

You can also visit our weekly Surplus Pop-Up!
The Surplus Pop-Up is for UWM Faculty and Staff for business use only (no sales). The Surplus Pop-Up provides office supply essentials such as binders, staplers, and computer monitors (while supplies last). There is limited inventory at the Pop-Up; for full inventory, you need to schedule a regular Surplus appointment.

Note: The Pop-Up Shop is closed for the summer. Check back in the fall!

Purchasing Furniture from Refurbished State Contract

The recycled furniture contract is a UW-Madison contract that UWM employees may use. This contract is designed to offer University departments an alternative to buying new furniture. Furniture must be 95% or greater recycled with only connectors, electrical or other components being new only to complete an assembly or installation. To purchase refurbished furniture visit the Recycled Furniture page on the UW-Madison purchasing website.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Public Sales – Purchasing Surplus

Purchasing Items on Public Auction

Since the supply of surplus items exceeds our available campus space, some items are sold on public auction. All sales are handled through GovDeals. Here we offer an open bidding process to the public. All items purchased are available for pickup at the University Services and Research Building, unless otherwise noted.

All surplus is handled according to the State Procurement Manual.

Purchasing Items at our Surplus Shop

Many items are available for cash purchase at our Surplus Shop. To schedule a Surplus Appointment or see what we have in stock, please contact us at or 414-229-3465. Viewings and pickups by appointment only.

Most items offered for sale are used and may contain defects not immediately detectable. Potential buyers may inspect the property prior to bidding. Inspection is by appointment only. Due to the volume and range of equipment we receive in Surplus, we are not able to test surplus items. Inspection is the responsibility of the buyer, prior to the sale.

All sales are final. No returns. In-person sales are cash only. We do not ship or deliver. Loading and transportation are responsibility of the buyer.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Donations and Transfers

At times, UWM Surplus may have excess inventory available for donation to qualified nonprofit organizations or available to state, county, or municipal agencies.

Learn more about this process and check for available donation & transfer items here.

Contact Surplus

Surplus Declaration Form

Surplus is located at:
University Services & Research Building- Surplus door
4090 N 1st St
Glendale, WI 53212
(One block north of 1st and Capital Drive)

By Appointment Only.  Operating hours are variable due to limited staff availability.