UW-Milwaukee is a No-Sort campus! Recyclables no longer have to be separated depending on if they are glass, paper or plastic; they now go into one bin. This is also referred to as “Single-Sort Recycling.”
Through no-sort, recycling is made easier and more materials can be recycled, keeping them out of the landfills.
Accepted No-Sort Materials at UWM
When it comes to recycling, just remember the core four: cardboard, paper, bottles, and cans!
- Cardboard boxes (broken down and flattened)
- Paperboard, such as cereal boxes (emptied)
- Mixed paper and junk mail*
- Newspapers, phone books, magazines and catalogs*
- Aluminum cans
*Small amounts of glue, tape and staples are OK
Commonly Confused – These items go in the landfill (trash) bin.
By ensuring that trash goes in the trash can, you help keep our recycling clean!
- Pizza boxes
- Amazon mailers
- Grind coffee cups – even if they are empty, they are trash!
- Plastic grocery bags or plastic zip bags
- Plastic forks, knives, spoons, and straws
- Rubber gloves/PPE
- To-go items with food in them
- Candy wrappers/chip bags
- Foam board for school projects
- Damaged clothing (donate good condition items)
- Damaged ceramic cups, plates, bowls (donate good condition items)
- Damaged holiday decorations (donate good condition items)
Bulk Paper, Books, and Cardboard
Cleaning out your office or moving in and have a large amount of paper, books, or cardboard? Please fill out a request using the Facility Services iServiceDesk or contact Lindsay Frost at email@example.com. This is a free service.
Confidential Paper Shredding
UWM offers a service for confidential paper shredding. Paper is collected in secured containers, then taken off site for shredding and recycling. Please fill out a request using the Facility Services iServiceDesk or Contact Environmental Services at (414) 229-6466 or firstname.lastname@example.org.