Resources for Students

Food Assistance

Food Share: Many students are eligible for Food Share, including students who are eligible for Work Study. Students can apply on the Access Wisconsin Website.

UWM Food Center and Pantry

Kinship Food Center: (previously Riverwest Food Pantry)

Map of local food pantries: Students can enter the zip code or address of where they are staying. They can also dial 211 from a phone for emergency food assistance and other community resources.  

Internet Access & Laptops

Federal Affordable Technology program: Discounts of up to $30/month for internet service ($75 for qualifying tribal lands) and up to $100 for a 1 time purchase of a laptop. Students who receive Pell Grants and/or Food Share are eligibleThe site lists additional ways that students may be eligible.

Students must apply: AND contact their internet provider (who may have an additional application). Here are a few internet providers: 

UWM Laptop Loan Program

UWM Surplus often has reasonably priced computers and laptops available for sale (many for $50 or $100). Go to the Shop UWM Surplus Facebook page to view inventory or contact UWM Surplus by email or phone at 414-659-1391. Surplus is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. by appointment only. It is located in the University Services and Research Building north of North First St. and East Capital Drive. 

Internet and Computer Resources: compiled by the City of Milwaukee. The resources include free/reduced priced devices, internet subsidies, and Milwaukee Public Library resources. 

Utility Assistance

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program: This program has income guidelines. Students can apply here:

Housing & Rent Assistance

Community Advocates: offers a range of services including temporary housing, housing vouchers for residents of Waukesha County (Milwaukee funds are depleted), applications for energy assistance, case management services, etc. During certain times of the year, they also offer rent assistance. They help people before they are homeless and when they are homeless. Their website includes an extensive list of their services.

UWM Fostering Success: offers support to students who have aged out of foster care or who are experiencing homelessness.

Medical Bills

In general, if students need help with medical bills they can call the billing office and ask for a Financial Counselor or a Case Manager. Here is the information for a few local hospital networks:

Low-Cost Prescriptions

UWM Health Center: offers several common prescriptions and over the counter medications for a low cost.

GoodRx: free program that offers discounts on prescriptions.

Social Development Commission: offers a Prescription Advocacy & Referral Service for individuals who do not qualify for state/federal health insurance but are unable to pay for prescriptions. Eligible individuals might qualify for free or reduced-priced prescriptions.

Prescription Drug Company Discounts. Google “rebate” and the name of your prescription to see if there are discounts advertised online. You many also try contacting the drug company directly to see if they have any programs to help people who cannot afford prescriptions. Often they do (e.g., here is one for Humira). 

Health Insurance

Badger Care Plus: Wisconsin’s public health care program. This may be an option if you have no or low income.

Health Insurance Marketplace: The annual Open Enrollment Period for Health Insurance Marketplace coverage generally takes place from November 1 through January 15 each year.

Health Care Providers (free, low-cost or sliding scale)

UWM Health & Wellness Center: Call 414-229-7429 for Medical Services and 414-229-4133 for Counseling Services. You can also check out UWM’s Community Referral Database to find providers in the community that meet your criteria.

UWM Psychology Clinic: offers low-cost assessment and psychotherapy services to the Milwaukee community. Call 414-229-5521 for services.

Marquette Dental Clinic: offers low-cost dental services to the Milwaukee community. Call 414-288-6790 for services.

Free & Low Cost Health Care Clinics

Mental Health Emergency Center: Milwaukee County psychiatric emergency department. Call 414-966-3030.

Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division: 414-257-7665. (Psychiatric assessment, Medication evaluation, brief crisis counseling and/or referrals to outpatient.  Refers to Outreach Clinic for long-term medication). 

Marquette Center for Psychological Services: outpatient mental health training clinic offering low-cost assessment and psychotherapy services to the Milwaukee community. Call 414-288-3487 for services. 

Center for Psychotherapies: (St. Joseph’s Hospital) is a community resource for the treatment of individuals with a wide variety of emotional challenges. The Psychotherapy center has an adjustable fee structure. Call 414 803-4077 for services.

Aurora Family Service: offers family counseling, credit counseling, senior care services, and money management services. Call 414-345-4941 for services.

Lutheran Social Services: offers counseling for children and adults, substance use services, housing assistance, refugee services, and disability resources. Call 414-967-3900 for services. 

Samaritan Family Wellness: offers outpatient community counseling on a sliding scale payment fee (accepts Medicaid and Medicare). Call 414-964-4357 for services. 

Childcare Subsidies

Wisconsin Childcare subsidies: students must meet income requirements; be at least 18 years old and a parent, foster parent, kinship care relative, or a person acting in place of a parent; have a child under age 12 (up to 19 for a child with special needs); be a Resident of Wisconsin; be a U.S. Citizen or qualified immigrant; and use qualifying child care. For more information on eligibility go here:  


UWM Career Closet: clothing for students to use during job interviews.

Clothing Banks and Low Cost Clothing. This list was compiled by the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. Several of the resources are open to anyone.


UWM Career Planning and Resource Center: assists students with finding employment for current students and alum. They can also help you with your resume.

Handshake: is the UWM Jobs website. You can find on and off campus jobs here.

Department of Workforce Development: can help with employment services, programs, and unemployment payments. 

Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR): is a part of the Department of Workforce Development. They often have programs designed to support the training, education, and employment of individuals with disabilities. Call DVR at (608) 261-0050 or (800) 442-3477 (Toll Free) to get connected to their services. Their email is  

Work Study: Check with Financial Aid to see if you are eligible for Work Study. Work Study makes it easier to get an on campus job. 

Legal Assistance (low cost or free)

UWM Legal Clinic: offers basic legal support. They help students a lot to understand leases, citations, etc. They cannot offer legal advice against UWM. 

Marquette Legal Clinic: offers free and low cost legal services for the entire community. They offer both appointments and walk in support.

Legal Aid Society: provides free legal advice in areas such as evictions, family court, children’s court, bankruptcy, and LGBTQ+ legal issues.

Resources for Students Who've Aged Out of Foster Care

Fostering Success Program: UWM program that provides a social support network and resources for students who have aged our of foster care or who are homeless/unhoused.

Resources for Veterans

Veterans Affairs (VA): offers resources including healthcare, disability services, employment and job training, housing support, and more.

Milwaukee County Veterans Services: list of resources including support obtaining official documents, tuition waivers, legal support, housing assistance, healthcare grants, and more.

Military Education Benefits Office: located near financial aid and can help students navigate any state or federal military benefits. 

UWM Military and Veterans Resource Center: support resource for UWM students and also can help connect students to additional community resources. 

Overall Assistance

Impact: Students can call 211 or visit their site to get connected to a wide range of resources in the community.  

Social Development Commission: has an array of resources and educational tools related to careers, education, housing, food, navigating emergencies, etc.