UWM’s School of Information Studies (SOIS) is committed to shaping the future of library science and information technology by improving the world through innovation and inquiry, connecting humans to the information they use every day.
Our mission is to educate the next generation of library science and information technology professionals by offering a rigorous curriculum that fosters professional knowledge, skills and experiential practice, ethics, critical inquiry and leadership to address the needs of our diverse and global information society. SOIS graduates are prepared not only for the current information and technology services landscape but also for future-ready careers and as-yet-undiscovered environments.
- Library Journal honors SOIS alum for community contributionsThe Library Journal recently named SOIS alum Jamar Rahming (MLIS ’08) one of its 2023 Movers & Shakers in the Community Builder category. Each year, the Journal honors “The People Shaping the Future of Libraries” in its Movers & Shakers … Read more
- Grad Jeff Valodine found support for success at SOISJeff Valodine has three words for future UWM students – “Do your homework.” Valodine, who earned his B.S. in Information Science & Technology from the School of Information Studies, was one of the students featured in a video at the … Read more
- Advising Sessions Available to Assist Cardinal Stritch StudentsThe School of Information Studies faculty and advisors are available to discuss transfer options, program plans, and academic and financial support options with Cardinal Stritch students. Scholarships will be available for transfer students from Cardinal Stritch. Onsite and virtual information … Read more
- In the News: Rex Academy partners with UW-MilwaukeeMilwaukee-based Rex Academy is leading the way in providing accessible STEM education. The company has created a partnership with University of … Read more
- Recent Graduate Takes Learning Beyond the ClassroomA Fall 2022 graduate of the UWM School of Information Studies MLIS program with a concentration in Archives, … Read more
- UWM SOIS cybersecurity lecturer Khaled Sabha, talks about privacy concerns with TikTokUWM SOIS cybersecurity lecturer Khaled Sabha, talks about privacy concerns with TikTok View the full story: Wisconsin Public … Read more
- Sarah Finn (MLIS ’20) featured in online journal Fine Books & Collections as part of their series “Bright Young Librarians.”UWM Alum, UWM Special Collections' former Senior Graduate Intern Sarah Finn, now the Archival Projects Librarian at the … Read more
- Jun24June 24, 2023, 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Jun27June 27, 2023 @ 7:30am - June 29, 2023 @ 4:00pm
- Jul13July 13, 2023, 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- Sep13September 13, 2023, 2:30am - 4:30pm
Whether you are a recent graduate just starting your career or an alum looking for a change, the School of Information Studies is committed to supporting students and alumni throughout their careers.
Alumni & Giving
SOIS alums make a significant impact in the information profession locally, nationally and internationally. We invite alumni and friends to join us in supporting the next generation of information professionals.
Our MLIS program is accredited by the American Library Association and is ranked in the top 15 LIS programs in the nation by U.S. News and World Report!
As a proud member of the iSchools organization, we share an interest in the relationships between information, people and technology and are dedicated to advancing the information field.