UWM’s School of Information Studies (SOIS) is committed to shaping the future of library science and information technology by improving the world through innovation and inquiry, connecting humans to the information they use every day.
Our mission is to educate the next generation of library science and information technology professionals by offering a rigorous curriculum that fosters professional knowledge, skills and experiential practice, ethics, critical inquiry and leadership to address the needs of our diverse and global information society. SOIS graduates are prepared not only for the current information and technology services landscape but also for future-ready careers and as-yet-undiscovered environments.
- Maggie Flath Named Advisor of the YearSchool of Information Studies academic advisor Maggie Flath has been named Advisor of the Year by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Advisors & Counselors Network (ACN). The ACN Advisor of the Year Award is presented annually to an advisor who exemplifies … Read more
- Pandemic Stresses Increasing Burnout Among LibrariansAs centers of their communities, libraries and the people who run them are increasingly called upon to take on new ways to support the public. The new expectations put on libraries during the pandemic increased the burnout rate among librarians, … Read more
- Universal Accessibility and Usability of Digital Libraries in the Mobile EnvironmentProfessor Iris Xie (PI) and Assistant Professor Wonchan Choi (co-PI) at UW-Milwaukee, School of Information Studies have been awarded a $695,631 Applied Research grant from IMLS National Leadership Grants for Libraries. The project “Universal Accessibility and Usability of Digital Libraries in the Mobile Environment: … Read more
- Recent Graduate Takes Learning Beyond the ClassroomA Fall 2022 graduate of the UWM School of Information Studies MLIS program with a concentration in Archives, … Read more
- UWM SOIS cybersecurity lecturer Khaled Sabha, talks about privacy concerns with TikTokUWM SOIS cybersecurity lecturer Khaled Sabha, talks about privacy concerns with TikTok View the full story: Wisconsin Public … Read more
- Sarah Finn (MLIS ’20) featured in online journal Fine Books & Collections as part of their series “Bright Young Librarians.”UWM Alum, UWM Special Collections' former Senior Graduate Intern Sarah Finn, now the Archival Projects Librarian at the … Read more
- UW-Milwaukee School of Information Studies (SOIS) Update: Fall 2022The School of Information Studies (SOIS) at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) is pleased to share recent news. A … Read more
- Jan31January 31, 2023, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Feb6February 6, 2023, 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Feb8February 8, 2023, 12:00pm - 1:30pm
- Feb9February 9, 2023, 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Feb24February 24, 2023, 11:00am - 4:00pm
Whether you are a recent graduate just starting your career or an alum looking for a change, the School of Information Studies is committed to supporting students and alumni throughout their careers.
Alumni & Giving
SOIS alums make a significant impact in the information profession locally, nationally and internationally. We invite alumni and friends to join us in supporting the next generation of information professionals.
Our MLIS program is accredited by the American Library Association and is ranked in the top 15 LIS programs in the nation by U.S. News and World Report!
As a proud member of the iSchools organization, we share an interest in the relationships between information, people and technology and are dedicated to advancing the information field.