The Chemistry & Biochemistry Symposium 2013 was organized by Kristen Murphy, Kristene Surerus and Nicholas Silvaggi.
On Friday the 19th of April, after a reception outside Chemistry 180, Prof. Agwaramgbo presented the plenary lecture.
This event was followed by four graduate students presenting their research. In the late afternoon, a shuttle service provided transport to Miller Part for a tailgate party before the start of the Brewers Game.
On Saturday after breakfast at 8:00 am, a Career Panel gave answers to student about career paths in chemistry moderated by Prof. Silvaggi. This was followed by Graduate Student Council providing a guided tour of the Chemistry Building and a Q&A session about the UWM Chemistry & Biochemistry graduate program. Poster sessions took place at 11 am, noon and 1 pm in the Northwest Quadrant. The awards ceremony started at 2:30 pm with an introduction by Department Chair Professor Geissinger in Chemistry Building (180).
Undergraduate Student Awards:
- Outstanding Performance in Introductory Chemistry: Oluwadamilola Oluwatosin
- UWM Chemistry Award to a Chemistry Major for Outstanding Performance in Analytical Chemistry: Daniel Wolters
- UWM Chemistry Award to a Chemistry Major for Outstanding Performance in Biochemistry: Geoffrey Severin
- UWM Chemistry Award to a Chemistry Major for Outstanding Performance in Inorganic Chemistry: Brian Spindler
- Peter Kovacic Scholarship in Organic Chemistry: Bruce Lee
- Ralf Vanselow Award to a Chemistry Major for Outstanding Performance in Physical Chemistry: Nicholas Darrow
- Emeritus Chemistry Faculty Scholarship to the Outstanding Junior Chemistry Major B. Richard Siebring Award: Colin Brook
- Outstanding Senior Chemistry Award: Brian Spindler
- Durward Layde Memorial Fellowship: Luis Sanchez
Graduate Student Awards:
- Gloria Moczynski Student Teacher Award in Chemistry: Kelly Teske and Daniel Pauly
- Frederick C. Hoppe Memorial Award: Kaniz Fatema and Shalina Srinivason
- Teaching Laboratory Service Award: Pat Nylen and Steven Kopitzke
- Louise Andt Fellowship: Heather Adams
- Sosnovsky Awards for Excellence in Graduate Research: Megan McCallum
Graduate Student Poster Awards:
- Chemistry Alumni Award for Graduate Research: Lisa Kendhammer
- Graduate Research Award: Mohammad Haque
- Graduate Research Award: Megan McCallum
- James T. McFarland Graduate Research Award: Dhara Shah
- Graduate Research Award: Lisa Mueller
- Keulks Award for Graduate Research: Taher Ababneh
- Keith Hall Awards for Excellence in Graduate Research: Nina Yuan
Undergraduate Student Poster Awards
- Graduate Research Award: Nicole Endres
- Chemistry Alumni Award for Undergraduate Research: Colin Brook
- Graduate Research Award: Dan Murphy
- Chemistry Alumni Award for Undergraduate Research: Sarah Zawalski
- James T. McFarland Undergraduate Research Award: Geoffrey Severin
Impressions of the symposium.