Schedule Builder: Schedule builders are responsible for the collection, organization, and entry of class schedule data into PAWS during the Development Phase. Each academic department or program that has class offerings is required to have a designated schedule builder.
SOC Coordinator: The SOC coordinator is responsible for oversight of the schedule of classes development process for all the academic departments or programs within a school or college.
This is a general process overview of the development of the schedule of classes for a typical fall, spring, or summer term.
Schedule data rolled from prior year term: As a starting point for SOC development, the active classes are copied forward from the prior year like-term. The class section copy process does not carry forward class requisites or class attributes that were added at the section level in a given term. Most other data, including primary meeting patterns, class and waitlist capacities, and class notes will carry forward as part of the copy process.
- Development Phase: Once the schedule data is rolled from the prior year like-term, the RO will open the term up for edit in CLSS. The goal of this phase is for schedule builders and coordinators to work with faculty to determine class offerings for the term and enter or edit the data in CLSS. Before the Development Phase ends, schedule builders will be expected to validate their scheduling unit in CLSS. During validation, CLSS checks the scheduling unit against the rules and will provide a list of non-compliant courses. Schedule builders are expected to fix any issues to ensure all sections in their scheduling unit are compliant. Once the scheduling unit is validated, it must get submitted to the RO for bridging. IMPORTANT: Any class sections that are not in CLSS within this phase have a significantly reduced chance of receiving a general assignment classroom. Departments are expected to have all their scheduling data entered by the end of this phase.
- Room Assignment Phase:During this phase, batch processes are run to assign available GA rooms via settings placed on the sections in CLSS by the schedule builder or SOC coordinator during the Development Phase. Additional information on GA classroom scheduling can be found on the General Assignment Classrooms website. During this phase, no changes may be made in CLSS, PAWS or ROAR
- Pre-enrollment Phase:This phase refers to the time after GA classrooms are assigned. On the first day of this phase, the schedule of classes will be available to the campus community via the PAWS Class Search and the interactive online schedule of classes. Shopping carts will also be available to students on the same day the schedule is published. Schedule changes are once again permitted in CLSS. Room changes are permitted in ROAR. Any time a meeting pattern is changed during this phase, the schedule builder or coordinator will have to locate a classroom space for the change. Some changes during this period will not require approval from the RO or school/college administrative offices.
- Enrollment Phase:This phase begins on the first day of Priority Enrollment.
- Fee Phase: This phase begins after BFS calculates fees for the upcoming semester. Schedule builders will receive a message in CLSS reminding them to contact BFS to calculate fees before students can enroll.
- 30 Days Phase: During this phase, meeting pattern changes are restricted. Schedule builders must cancel existing sections with enrollment if the department wishes to make a change to the meeting pattern within 30 days of the start of the semester.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
To view more dates and deadlines associated with enrollment and SOC development, follow the “Dates & Deadlines” link in the menu bar at the top of the page.
|TERM||DEVELOPMENT PHASE BEGINS||DATA ENTRY DEADLINE||VALIDATE BY||BRIDGING UNITS||ROOM ASSIGNMENT PHASE BEGINS||PRE-ENROLL PHASE BEGINS||ENROLLMENT PHASE BEGINS|
|2236 – Summer 2023||8/15/2022 (estimated)||12/9/2022||12/16/2022||12/19/2022-12/23/2022||1/2/2023||1/9/2023||3/20/2023|
|2239 – Fall 2023||12/5/2022||2/10/2023||2/17/2023||2/20/2023-2/24/2023||2/27/2023||3/20/2023||4/3/2023|
|2232 – Spring 2023||5/31/2022 (estimated)||9/9/2022||9/16/2022||9/19/2022 – 9/23/2022||9/26/2022||10/17/2022||11/7/2022|
|2231 – UWinteriM 2023||8/1/2022||N/A||9/2/2022||9/6/2022||9/12/2022||10/3/2022||10/10/2022|
IMPORTANT: Any class sections that are not scheduled within the Development Phase have a significantly reduced chance of receiving a general assignment classroom. Departments are expected to have all of their scheduling data entered, cleaned up (i.e., no errors), and submitted by the “Validate by” date.
The resources below aid in the development of the Schedule of Classes
- CIM Non-Governance Request (New Topics, Final Exam settings)
- Add New Instructor Form
- Administrative Drop/Swap Form
- Course Book Adoptions
- Schedule of Classes Canvas Change Report
HELPFUL WEB RESOURCES
SCHEDULE PLANNING RESOURCES
- Course Distribution Planning
- Standard Meeting Patterns
- Session Code Lookup App
- Class Tallies
- Course Fee Calculator
- UWM Credit Hour Policy
- Workload Statements (pdf)
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES DEVELOPMENT
- Important Dates
- SOC School/College Contacts
- Interactive Online Schedule of Classes
- Schedule of Classes Archives
- Exporting Schedule Data from CLSS to PDF or Spreadsheet
- BEST PRACTICE: Section Numbering Guidelines
- BEST PRACTICE: Summer Guidelines
- BEST PRACTICE: UWinteriM Guidelines
- CANVAS: Changes to SOC that Impact Class Sites
- CIM: How to Request a New Topic
- CLSS: Course Fee Attributes
- CLSS: Creating Online Sections
- CLSS: Creating Hybrid Sections
- CLSS: Editing Combined Sections
- CLSS: Meeting Pattern Edit
- CLSS: Multiple Meeting Patterns
- CLSS: Scheduling Graduate Sections of U/G Courses
GENERAL ASSIGNMENT CLASSROOMS
- ROAR Refresher Training (Video)
- General Assignment Classrooms Website
- Classroom Space – Credit Class Sections
- How to Assign a Department-Managed Room
- How to Request a General Assignment Room
- PAWS: Enrollment Request Search
- Class Permissions Website
- Wait List Website
- Waitlist Resources for Students
- PERC Website
- PERC Help Documents
- Final Exam Schedule
- Final Exam & Study Day Policies
- Faculty: Locating Final Exam Schedule in PAWS
- Students: Locating Final Exam Schedule in PAWS