Grades are posted in PAWS at the end of each term. Allow two weeks after the last day of finals for your complete grade report to post.

The Graduate School’s Academic Policies & Procedures includes grading information.

View Your Grades
You can review your grade history in PAWS anytime:

  1. Log in to PAWS
  2. Under the Academics header, click in the drop down menu and select Grades, then click the yellow arrow button
  3. Select the term you want to view
  4. The Class Grades table will show your letter grade and grade points
  5. Click the blue Class Name to bring up the Class Details screen as it originally appeared in PAWS
  6. The Term Statistics table will show your term and cumulative Grade Point Averages
GPA & Grading Policy
Students pursuing a degree from UWM will take most of their coursework on a graded basis. The general quality of a student’s performance in their classes is expressed in terms of the grade point average (GPA).

The number of grade points earned in a course is computed by multiplying the points for the grade by the number of credits for which the course is offered. For example, if a student earned a B in a three-credit course, they would earn nine grade points. GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded points taken. The highest possible average is 4.000 or an A in every subject.  The Registrar’s Office has a GPA Calculator Tool you can use to calculate a future GPA based on estimated grades.

The grade point average recorded on the official UWM transcript is based solely upon credits earned or attempted at UWM. Some schools and colleges have different standards for GPA calculation and may include transfer work; see degree requirements in the Academic Catalog for specifics. UWM credits taken as audit or credit/no credit do not apply to your UWM GPA. If a student wants to receive a letter grade for a course, they should not specify audit or credit/no credit as a grading basis when registering on PAWS.

Letter Grades

UWM uses a letter grade system that includes “plus” and “minus” grades and is based on a 4.000 scale. For convenience in computing averages, each letter grade carries a specified number of points per credit.

Grade Point Chart
A 4.000 C 2.000
A- 3.670 C- 1.670
B+ 3.330 D+ 1.330
B 3.000 D 1.000
B- 2.670 D- 0.670
C+ 2.330 F 0.000
Other Grade Values
CREDIT C- or higher in a “Credit/No Credit” course (will not be calculated into GPA)
NO CREDIT D+ or lower in a “Credit/No Credit” course (will not be calculated into GPA)
NOT RPTD Grade was not submitted in time to be reported
I Incomplete
P Progress (research and thesis course work still in progress)
S Satisfactory (audit and zero-credit courses only)
U Unsatisfactory (zero-credit courses only except for English 090/095, Linguistics 096 and Math 090/095, which are assigned letter grades though they carry no degree or GPA credit)
UNREC Unrecorded – Audit Only (the course will not be entered on your academic record)
W Course dropped by student after fourth week of semester or first quarter of shorter session
WR Administrative Drop (enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats)
R Repeat Course (counts in GPA)
F Grade Policy
If you fail a course, you don’t receive any Grade Points. One “F” can greatly lower your GPA.

UWM maintains a “F” grading system due to Federal compliance requirements for students receiving financial aid. When reporting a grade of “F,” instructors will also report a number corresponding to the student’s “week of last participation” in the course. A student receiving the grade “F0” would have never attended or participated, and a student with a grade of “F16” would signify completion of the entire term. The numeral for “week of last participation” will be reflected on unofficial transcripts and grade reports. On official transcripts, only the grade of “F” will be reflected.

If you’re in danger of earning an “F,” work with your course instructor and Academic Advisor to see what options you have.

Incomplete Policy
You may be given an Incomplete if you have carried a subject successfully until near the end of the semester but, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond your control, have been unable to take or complete the final examination or to complete some limited amount of coursework. An incomplete is not given unless you prove to the instructor that you were prevented from completing the course requirements for just cause as indicated above.

Undergraduates are required to complete a course marked Incomplete prior to the end of the next succeeding semester (excluding summer sessions and UWinteriM). If the Incomplete is not removed during this period, the grade of “I” will lapse to “F”.

Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for more information on the incomplete policy for graduate students.

Honors Designations

A complete list of Honors offered by Undergraduate degree programs appears with the information about each degree in our Academic Catalog.  Select from a list of undergraduate majors, and you’ll find an “Honors” tab listed for each major. For example, your School or College may award Departmental Honors or Honors in the Major, or may include information on scholastic honor societies related to your area of study.

Each School or College offers Commencement Honors (a recognition that grants a student a gold cord distinction for the purposes of the graduation ceremony) and Final Honors (a distinction on your transcript to highlight degrees awarded Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Summa Cum Laude). As above, the specifications to earn these distinctions are noted with other Honors information in the Catalog.

The Dean’s Honors List identifies the names of students who have earned Dean’s Honors each semester.  The Dean’s List is finalized and will be published approximately one month after the end of the final grading period each semester, excluding UWinteriM. This timing allows for grade reporting, grade changes, the clearing of Incompletes, and other end-of-semester actions.

Criteria for earning Dean’s Honors are based on your academic program. Degree-seeking students who enroll through Pathway Advising have their Honors requirements listed on their program page in the Academic Catalog.

Academic Actions
The university-wide Academic Action Policy holds you, as an enrolled UWM student, to minimum standards of academic achievement. Individual schools and colleges may adopt stricter criteria, and you should consult the school/college advising offices for specific information.

The standard minimum Grade Point Average for a UWM undergraduate is 2.0, which is equal to a “C” grade. The standard is based on your Cumulative (total) Grade Point Average.

Graduate Students must maintain a 3.0 or better. Contact the Graduate School for more information.

Unacceptable academic performance will result in formal academic action. The following actions are recorded on the unofficial transcript: (1) Academic Probation; (2) Academically Dropped for One Semester; (3) Final Probation and (4) Academically Dropped for Two Years. Your official transcript will document any Academic Drop action.

Academic Probation
Probation is a formal academic action that documents unacceptable performance on your unofficial transcript. If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.000 at the end of any grading term, you will be placed on Academic Probation. As long as your GPA in subsequent semesters remains above 2.000, you can continue to take classes even if your cumulative GPA remains below 2.000.

Once your cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or higher, you will clear probation.

Academically Dropped for One Semester
If you are placed on Academic Probation and your GPA in a subsequent semester falls below 2.000, you will be Academically Dropped for One Semester.

Final Probation
If you are Academically Dropped for any period of time and are permitted to enroll, you would return on Final Probation. As long as your GPA in subsequent semesters remains above 2.000, you can continue to take classes even if your cumulative GPA remains below 2.000.

Once your cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or higher, you will clear probation.

Academically Dropped for Two Years
If you are placed on Final Probation and your GPA in a subsequent semester falls below 2.000, you will be Academically Dropped for Two Years.

Academic Drop & Reinstatement
An Academic Drop is dismissal from the university for academic ineligibility. Academic Drop status is initiated by administrative offices and you must apply for readmission before you will be allowed to resume work at UWM.

You may be reinstated immediately after a drop action or readmitted after the specified drop period (one semester or two years). If readmitted or reinstated, you will be placed on Final Probation. These actions (reinstatement or readmission) may only be taken by the dean of the school or college by which you were dropped. Even if you wish to change your field of study upon reentry to UWM, you still need to obtain official permission to re-enter from the academic dean of the school or college from which you were dropped.

If you were Academically Dropped for any amount of time and you wish to change your field of study, you must first obtain permission to re-enter from the academic dean of the school or college from which you were dropped. When reapplying, indicate your current desired field of study in the appropriate box on the application. If readmitted, you must contact the academic dean of the school or college you wish to transfer to and initiate the process of officially changing your classification. It may be beneficial to contact the academic dean of your new school or college to discuss the possibility of reclassification before you apply for admission.

Academic Renewal

The Academic Renewal Policy (PDF) aims to make it possible for undergraduate students who attended UWM years before, attained low GPAs, and left without completing their degree to return without suffering all the consequences from their previous poor performance.

Undergraduate students who meet the eligibility criteria below may apply for Academic Forgiveness through their school/college academic advising unit.

Academic Renewal Request Form (PDF)

The advising unit may require information in addition to the form in order to make a decision. Students should consult with their advisor for details.

Minimum Eligibility Criteria
  • No prior associate or baccalaureate degree earned from UWM or another institution.
  • Readmission as an undergraduate degree-seeking student after a minimum of three years period of no enrollment at UWM or any other institution.
  • A cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 at UWM at the time of readmission.
  • Earned a minimum of 12 graded credits at UWM after readmission with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
    • NOTE: An additional 30 graded credits at UWM, for a total of 42 graded credits, are required for a degree to be posted with forgiveness applied to the record.
  • No prior approvals for Academic Forgiveness on record.
Academic Forgiveness Implications

If approved, the student’s cumulative UWM GPA will be reset as of the point of readmission. All grades earned prior to readmission will continue to appear on the student’s transcript and record. The transcript will include a notation that Academic Forgiveness was granted.

Any credits earned prior to readmission will continue to count toward the student’s cumulative totals along with any applicable degree requirements. The student will be required to complete a total of at least 42 graded credits after readmission (including post-readmission credits earned at the time forgiveness is applied) in order for a bachelor’s degree to be awarded with Academic Forgiveness applied.

  • Academic Forgiveness does not adjust the GPA and number of credits attempted and counted toward Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid eligibility purposes.
  • All other UWM policies (e.g., Course Repeats) remain in effect and are not changed by the granting of Academic Forgiveness.
  • If students seek admission to a degree program other than the one that approved an Academic Forgiveness request, that program has the right to consider all coursework and grades, including those academically forgiven, in making its admission decision.
  • Transfer credits posted to the UWM record are never factored into the official UWM cumulative GPA and, therefore, are not impacted by the granting of Academic Forgiveness.
Information for Academic Advisors

Approved request forms for Academic Forgiveness can be routed to Registrar’s Office via the online contact form (select “Student Records”) or campus mail (ATTN: Records Specialist, Mellencamp 290). It is not necessary to include additional information related to the request, only the signed request form.

Once the Registrar’s Office verifies that the student meets the eligibility criteria, the Academic Forgiveness will be applied to the record and the student will be notified.

Get Help!
If your GPA is falling or if you are in danger of being placed on Academic Probation, talk to your Academic Advisor for advice on bringing up your grades. If you struggle with an individual course, talk to your instructor and ask what you can do to improve your grade.

For students who didn’t initially perform well academically and who left UWM years ago without earning a degree, the Academic Forgiveness Policy may provide a second opportunity for successful university study.