Resolving Enrollment Holds

HOLDS – View this section in the upper right hand corner of your PAWS Student Center. You can click the blue details link to view a full list of your holds. Click on the name of the hold in blue to read the instructions for removal. If you have trouble understanding your next steps, you will also find contact information for the department that placed the hold so that you can ask for help.  The most common reasons for enrollment holds and how to resolve them are listed below.

Addressing Holds in Your PAWS Account

A Bursar hold means there is a balance on your account that was not paid by the due date. You must pay this balance to be able to enroll in future classes, To do so, click “Make a Payment”; you can pay with an electronic check or a credit card (credit card charges a 2.85% processing fee).

You may have a past-due balance if you have financial aid that hasn’t been applied to your charges. Check your To Do list in PAWS for possible reasons. These are the three most common items that will prevent aid from distributing:

  • Master Promissory Note (MPN). The first time you accept a loan, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (or MPN) before you can receive the funds. You can complete this item with the link in PAWS or at
  • Entrance Loan Counseling. You are also required to complete Entrance Counseling before your loans will disburse funds.You can complete this item with the link in PAWS or at
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Federal regulations require students make progress toward completing their degree. Details on what this requires can be found on the Appeals/Special Circumstance page,

Questions or issues?  Please contact Student Financial Service Center at 414-229-4541 /

This hold prevents you from enrolling in future classes until we receive a final high school transcript (showing your graduation data and final grades).  Please work with your high school to get a copy sent to Undergraduate Admissions:

Electronic: Paper:

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201

Questions or issues?  Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 414-229-2222 /

The Title IX training hold indicates you have not completed training required by UW System; until you complete it, you will not be able to enroll in future classes.

Invitation links to the training have been sent to your UWM email address – if you have problems finding the e-mail, search for “Vector” in your emails to find the link to the training.  (Note that the hold is not automatically removed, so if you’ve completed the training and the hold is still on your account, please contact the Dean of Students Office at Questions and exemption requests due to past experiences with sexual violence can be sent to Contact the Dean of Students office at 414-229-4632 or for other inquiries.

Questions or issues?  Please contact the Dean of Students at 414-229-4632 /

The Photo ID (or PantherCard) hold does NOT prevent you from enrolling in future classes, but you do need a PantherCard because it serves as your student ID. To get a PantherCard, click the link in PAWS account or visit to submit your selfie.

Questions or issues?  Please contact Retail Services at