Non-degree and guest students are students who would like to take a few courses but do not intend to earn a degree from UWM.
Welcome to UWM! We look forward to having you as a student and are happy to help you through the enrollment process.
Applying as a non-degree/guest student
Before you are able to enroll in courses as a non-degree student, you need to complete the application process. You can review steps for admissions and complete the application process on the undergraduate admissions website.
Cost and Financial Aid
How much will studying at UWM cost as a guest student? You can estimate the per credit cost from the latest tuition table as a good guide. Generally, an in-state student will pay approximately $1,700 for a three-credit class taken during the fall or spring semesters. You can view the Tuition & Fees table for more information on cost.
Students who are not accepted into a degree-granting program are classified as Non-Degree Students. These students are generally not eligible for financial aid. More information on financial aid for Non-Degree Students and possible exceptions is available from Student Financial Services.
Specific Program/Credential Advising
If you are pursuing a specific program/credential or taking classes in preparation for a graduate program at UWM or elsewhere, you will want to work with a representative of that program or institution for matters related to course planning.
General Information about Enrollment in Courses
- Holds on Your Account
- Before You Enroll/Register
- Adding, Dropping, and Changing Classes
- Transfer Equivalency Resources
- Ordering Your UWM Transcripts
Enrolling in a Course with a Prerequisite
- If you have NOT completed the prerequisite for the course you wish to enroll in, email the listed department from your assigned UWM email address to explain you are a non-degree seeking student and ask if you may enroll. Department contacts can be found at the bottom of this message.
- If you encounter an error while registering for a course with a listed prerequisite or would like to confirm your enrollment eligibility (to avoid being dropped), please email the listed contact for that department from your assigned UWM email address. Department contacts can be found at the bottom of this message.
- If you have completed the prerequisite for the course you wish to enroll in at another institution, (1) use the template below to email the listed department from your assigned UWM email address and (2) provide an unofficial copy of your transcript or other documentation of your past completed course work. (Do not submit official transcripts to UWM.)Sample Completed Prerequisite Permission Email and Departmental Contacts
Advising and Registration
Once you complete the admission process, you can register for classes through your PAWS account. For additional assistance with course selection and enrollment, please contact Dan Geddes at email@example.com.