The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee undergraduate advising staff is dedicated to creating an atmosphere that fosters success. We are committed to quality academic advising in an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and supportive. Our programs and services are designed to help students develop decision-making skills that will empower them to take full advantage of their educational experience.

Undergraduate Advising Information 

UWM’s undergraduate academic advising is distributed across the institution, with each school or college offering professional advising on the majors offered within that school or college.  While we have no central office responsible for all of advising, any general questions can be fielded to Pathway Advising, UWM’s office for the advising of new Undecided and Pre-Major students.

Due to COVID, the contact email may be monitored more regularly than our office phone lines.

Contact Email
Phone Number
College of Engineering & Applied Science  (414) 229-4667  
College of Health Sciences  (414) 229-2758  
College of Letters & Science  (414) 229-4654  
College of Nursing  (414) 229-5047
Helen Bader School of Social Welfare  (414) 229-4852  
Honors College  (414) 229-4658
Joseph J Zilber  School of Public Health (414) 229-5007 
Pathway Advising (414) 229-4696  
Peck School of the Arts  (414) 229-4763  
School of Architecture & Urban Planning (414) 229-4015  
School of Education  (414) 229-4721  
School of Freshwater Sciences
School of Information Studies  (414) 229-4707 
Sheldon B. Lubar College of Business  (414) 229-5271  

College of General Studies Advising

The College of General Studies (CGS) offers courses on UWM’s campuses in Waukesha and Washington County.  Student can pursue Associate degrees among CGS’ three departmentsArts and Humanities, Math and Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences and Business.  Please visit this website for more information, including how to schedule an advising appointment:

Helpful Links 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is academic advising?

Academic advising is a collaborative process between you and your advisor. Your academic advisor is a professional staff member whose purpose is to help you get the most out of your college experience. Working closely with your advisor can help you set and achieve goals, connect with campus resources, and make responsible decisions consistent with your interests, goals, abilities, and degree requirements. 

How do I find my assigned advisor?

Advisors are assigned to students upon their matriculation into an undergraduate program.  You can find assigned advisor(s) on your PAWS homepage and in Navigate. If you do not see an advisor listed, please contact the school/college that houses your major. If you are not sure which school/college houses your major, please check out the Academic Catalog.

 How do I meet with an advisor who is not assigned to me?

You can either work with your current advisor for a referral or utilize the contact information listed under Undergraduate Advising Information to reach out to advisors by program.  Each school/college handles its caseloads differently, and may have different processes or expectations about how advisors are assigned.

Why do I have multiple advisors?

There are several types of advisors at UWM. Some students may have one advisor and other students may have several advisors. Every student is assigned a major advisor who helps them navigate their major requirements and progression to graduation, as well as, assist with any matters happening in or out of the classroom.  

In addition to major advisors, students may also have one of these advisors: 

  • Students may have more than one academic advisor from a school/college if they have a declared double major, minors, or certificates.
  • Athletic advisors act as a liaison between the student, the team, their major advisor, and the NCAA. 
  • Honors advisors help students navigate the Honors College and how to best earn credits towards that distinction. 
  • Pathway Advising works with our undecided new student populations, as well new students who are determined through the admission process to need additional academic support in their first semester(s). The advisors in Pathway Advising help students explore the University’s options and develop plans to select and complete a chosen major and degree.
  • Student Support Services works with first generation and low income students in smaller groups to ensure they are getting the support they need to succeed at UWM. 
  • Lastly, we understand that multicultural students approach college from a different perspective. Student success coordinators in our Multicultural Student Centers are here to share perspective on navigating UWM. 
How can I schedule an advising appointment? 

Students can log into Navigate at any time to schedule appointments with their current academic advisor(s). You may also receive emails from your advisor containing a link that invites you to schedule an appointment.  If you do not currently attend UWM but would like to contact an advisor, please utilize the email addresses listed under Undergraduate Advising Information above.

How do I change my major?

If you would like to change your major within your current school/college, reach out to your assigned advisor who will help you with that process.  

If you want to change their major to a new school/college, you can either work with your current advisor for help with the change or utilize the contact information listed under Undergraduate Advising Information to reach out to advisors in the new program. You’ll want to meet with an advisor with expertise in your planned new major to assess the requirements and coursework in that program.

When and how often should I meet with my advisor? 

UWM Advising encourages students to meet with their advisor(s) as needed but at least one time per semester. As a general recommendation, UWM Advising suggests meeting with your primary school/college advisor in October/November (fall semester) and March/April (spring semester). Students should be mindful of important academic dates and any other requirements or expectations from their advising offices.

What should I expect from my advisor? 

You should expect your advisor will be there to show care, respect, and support for you as you pursue your degree, and to provide you with:

  • Assistance with academic planning that is consistent with your values, interests, and strengths
  • Accurate information regarding academic requirements, University policies and procedures, and campus resources
  • Guidance as you begin to understand the nature and purpose of higher education and your role as a student
What does my advisor expect of me? 

Your advisor expects that you will:

  • Bring to your appointment any pertinent documents from other appointments that you may need your advisor to review or potentially complete 
  • Be willing to collaborate 
  • Have questions about your academic plans and ideas about classes (if a registration appointment)
  • Understand you are responsible for your education and need to communicate your needs to your advisor or other campus support providers
  • Have a positive attitude and an open mind
I received an at-risk message from my instructor. What should I do? 

Instructors send at-risk messages for a variety of reasons. You can view these messages in Navigate. Advisors encourage students to first meet with their instructor to talk about the notification. Your advisor may follow up with you as needed. If something outside of class is affecting your success in class, please communicate those issues with your advisor(s).

I am on academic probation. What should I do? 

In accordance with UWM’s University-wide Academic Action Policy, academic probation is UWM’s way of giving the student an academic warning. If you are placed on probation, you should reach out to your advisor to discuss what happened during the previous semester that led to being placed on probation. Your advisor will discuss options moving forward, including updating the student’s academic plan.  Continued poor academic performance leads to academic drop or suspension actions, so urgent action is important.

There’s a hold on my PAWS account.  What do I do? 

If there is a hold on your PAWS account, you should click on the “details” link below the hold title in your “holds” box. Clicking on the hold on the next page will reveal who entered the hold and how to get in touch with that person or office. You can then take action to correct/remove the hold or contact the appropriate individual/office to rectify the hold. See the Before You Enroll section of our One Stop site for additional information.

Can I enroll in more than the maximum allowable credits each semester? 

Students are allowed to enroll in the following credits each semester: 18 credits in fall and spring, 12 credits in summer, and three credits in UWinteriM. If you want to exceed the maximum credits, you will need to seek permission from your primary advisor.  You should have a conversation with your advisor about course workload, as well as the additional tuition and fees that apply when exceeding allowable credits.

Can I enroll in less than full-time credits? 

Yes, students are allowed to enroll in less than 12 credits in fall or spring semester. You should consider how your financial aid may be impacted by enrolling part time, and you should reach out to your advisor to understand how your progression towards a degree and timeline to graduation may be affected.

Additional Materials for Families