Getting Started

ARC facilitates access for students who are or who have:

  • Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Chronic Health Conditions
  • Deaf or Hard of Hearing
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Medical Disabilities
  • Mobility Disabilities
  • Psychological Disabilities (anxiety, bipolar, depression, etc)
  • Traumatic Brain Injuries
  • Visual Impairments

ARC may accommodate a student with a temporary impairment if the impairment is substantial enough to be a disability. ARC also offers a list of resources for undiagnosed students who feel they may benefit from accommodations. 

Documentation Guidelines

Students with disabilities are protected from discrimination and assured equal access to programs and activities of the University by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Amendments (2009) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973). In order to establish that an individual is covered under the ADAAA, documentation must be provided that verifies the existence of a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of life’s major activities.

Disability documentation should:

  • Be recent and comprehensive
  • Demonstrate a substantial impairment to one or more of life’s major activities.
  • Verify the nature and extent of the disability.
  • Support the need for the student’s requested accommodations.
  • Be provided by a licensed clinical professional familiar with the impairment/condition.
  • Be dated, signed and on letterhead; it should include name, title and professional credentials of the evaluator.
  • The evaluator may not be anyone related to the student.

Placement Testing

Students accepted to UWM as Freshmen are required to take placement testing in Math and English. Individuals seeking accommodations for placement testing can submit a request to

Apply for Services

Prospective students and UWM students who are not yet registered with ARC may apply for academic accommodation services through ARC’s online application.

Apply for Accommodation Services