The Academic Accommodations Request process is described below, step by step, in text form as well as in a visual flowchart.
- Submit application online
- Within approximately 3 business days, you should receive an email in your UWM account from an Access Specialist. You may be asked for more documentation or for your availability to schedule an initial appointment.
- An initial appointment is scheduled generally within 2 or 3 weeks. The meeting date is determined by the earliest matching availability between the Access Specialist and Student. Initial appointments will be approximately 60 minutes in length. During this initial appointment, you and the Access Specialist will engage in an interactive process that will result in an individualized accommodation plan. A provisional accommodation plan may be developed on a temporary basis if documentation is insufficient.
Student may be referred internally to meet with the ARC Assistive Technology Coordinator to discuss alternate formats of print material, assistive technology options, and/or notetaking tools.
- An assessment and/or training appointment is scheduled generally within 5 business days. The meeting date is determined by the earliest matching availability between the Assistive Technology Coordinator and Student.
- As soon as you are able, register for your courses in PAWS. Note that class information may not appear in ARConnect for 24-48 hours.
- Request accommodations for each class as soon as you are able and no later than 4 weeks before the first day of classes. Review the ARC Student Semester Prep Checklist.
- Approximately 3 weeks before the first day of classes, if you requested accommodations in ARConnect, instructors receive notification of your accommodation requests. You will receive a copy of these notifications.
- Approximately a week before the first day of classes, contact your instructors to make sure they understand your accommodation needs. Students eligible for Academic Flexibility should use the appropriate guidelines with instructors to determine the extent of flexibility that can be granted.
- First week of classes, meet with instructor during office hours if you haven’t already to make sure they understand your accommodation needs. Students eligible for Academic Flexibility should use the appropriate guidelines with instructors to determine the extent of flexibility that can be granted.