Power BI – Introduction
In this hands-on workshop, you learn how to develop design principles and work them into data visualization as a practice. Work with simple, structured data files (e.g., Excel .xlsx or .csv) to become proficient at connecting to, cleaning up, creating variables from, and applying DAX functions to transform boring tables into beautiful interactive reports. Rehearse ways to connect different data sources to each other as well as visuals all within the Power BI canvas. No prior knowledge of Microsoft Power BI is required. You are encouraged to bring your own data to work with in the course.
This course is held on two consecutive Mondays from 8:30am-4:30pm.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Understand data sources used with Power BI
- Connect to, clean up and use data sources effectively
- Become proficient at transforming tables into interactive reports
- Create data visualizations that deliver a clear message
This course is delivered on two consecutive Mondays to allow time to absorb the material presented and practice skills as possible.
Cumulatively, the course covers:
- The grammar of graphics (a framework)
- Downloading, orienting to Power BI workspace and connecting to data
- Data cleaning, transformation, relational connections with other data and creating new variables in Query Editor
- Creating graphs, formatting filtering relationships and editing
- Intro to DAX: Calculating columns and measures
- Power BI native analytics functions – forecast, percentiles and what-if scenarios
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Date: 2 Mon, Mar 23-30
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Brendon Dorn MS
$845 by Mon., Mar. 9.
$895 after Mon., Mar. 9.
Enrollment Limit: 20
Program Number: 5027-12266
Note: This course is held on two consecutive Mondays.
Registration Deadline: Mon., Mar. 23