Paying for Your Education

Explore financial assistance that can subsidize the cost of your professional development. For specific questions contact Registration Services at

Un(der)employed and Dislocated Workers

A list of UWM’s School of Continuing Education professional development courses approved for funding from Individual Training Accounts (ITA) can be found at Just search by school. We can also work with your county workforce investment board to get approval for professional development you are interested in that is not currently listed. Start the process with your workforce investment board case manager and then contact Registration Services at

If you are un(der)employed or dislocated due to the pandemic and a Milwaukee County resident, the Skillful Transitions Program might be for you. The Skillful Transitions Program is funded using American Rescue Plan Act State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (ARPA SLFRF). Click here for more information or the application.

Wisconsin Department of Vocational Rehabilitation

DVR funding is applicable for certain professional development programs at UWM’s School of Continuing Education. Ask your case worker for details based on your situation and the professional development you are interested in.

AmeriCorps Alumni

The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. Put your AmeriCorps education award to use for your professional development. Almost all UWM School of Continuing Education certificates and classes are eligible. Specific program details are at

Veterans and Active Duty Military Members

UWM’s School of Continuing Education recognizes the service of veterans and active duty military personnel.  Our professional development programs can aid in the transition from military service to the civilian workforce. Contact Registration Services at to inquire about assistance available for veterans and active duty military personnel.

Spouses of Active Duty Military Members

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) provides funds for spouses of activity duty military members to pursue certificates in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations. Registration Services will work with military spouses to develop an Education and Training Plan tailored to their professional development needs. Details can be found at

Federal Lifetime Learning Tax Credit and Tax Deductions

UWM’s School of Continuing Education professional development programs may qualify for tax credits and deductions. Details can be found at

Employer Assistance

Employers value proactive professional development planning and provide funding for those who can demonstrate the return on investment to the company.

  • Create a brief plan that outlines the skills you will acquire from your professional development and link these skills to a need within the company
  • Offer to share your new knowledge with other employees.
  • Explain how your professional development will help the company grow sales or lower expenses.
  • Check with your human resources or training director to see if company discounts are available for your employer at UWM’s School of Continuing Education.

Join Our Email List

Get the latest on courses and certificates in your areas of interest.