- Math Club (for info, contact Prof. Pinter email@example.com)
- Actuarial Club (for info, contact Yang Ho, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Atmo Club (for info, contact Prof. Clark Evans, email@example.com)
- Tutoring – tutor for lower level classes Math 115-Math234; if interested go to: https://uwm.edu/math/undergraduate/resources/tutoring/#Become – we require B or better in Math through 234/240
- Departmental colloquia, seminars, events: See the “News & Events” section of our main page: https://uwm.edu/math/events/month/ [Marden lecture each spring, Open Advising each term, etc.]
- We have 4 majors in our department: Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Applied Math & Computer Science (a joint program with CEAS), and Atmospheric Science
- We have 3 minors: Mathematics, Actuarial Science, and Atmospheric Science
- Go to: https://uwm.edu/math/contact-us/email-reflector-form/ to join our mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org if you aren’t already a declared major or minor!
- Declare your major/minor! If your transcript/academic information on paws says “Intended” or something like “Mathematics BS – Int” you’re not declared!!! Attend walk-in advising hours https://uwm.edu/math/undergraduate/resources/advising/ to officially declare your major/minor and make a plan!
Interested in becoming a high school math teacher? Find out how…
- Mathematics Education – UWM School of Education – We offer both an undergraduate major and a post-bac program for an alternative certification pathway!
- UWM Office of Undergraduate Research, good starting point to look for research opportunities
- UWM SURF – (one on one research with faculty in Fall/Spring/Summer – funded)
- McNair Program – for 1st generation, underrepresented and low income students: (summer research, funded, conference presentation)
Deadline for application: usually mid-February
- Research Experience for Undergraduates – funded summer research
National Science Foundation – REU Sites: Mathematical Sciences
Application deadlines typically in January and February.
- MTBI Mathematical Biology Summer Program at Arizona State University, deadline in January each year.
- SPUR Summer Program Undergrad Research, at Medical College of Wisconsin, deadline late January / early February each year.
- WAVE Fellows Program at Caltech; deadline: mid-January.
- Department of Homeland Security HS-STEM Summer Internship Program – deadlines in December each year for following summer. Plan ahead!
- NSA summer programs – Deadlines early, the Cyber summer program app is due around Oct 15 for the following summer!
- Department of Mathematical Sciences – Student Awards
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation Alice C. Helland Scholarship (female students, jr/sr, science) – Contact: Collen Dunlap (email@example.com) deadlines early December each year
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation Patricia Smith Wilmeth Fund Scholarship (female students) – Contact: Collen Dunlap (firstname.lastname@example.org) deadline early December each year
- SMART Scholarship Program (DoD) – full tuition and education fees. Application deadline: mid-December each year.
- The E. Paul and Jane Humke Scholarship — awarded to outstanding undergraduate students who participate in the Budapest Semester in Mathematics. It is awarded when there are sufficient funds available. For more information, contact Prof. Gabriella Pinter, email@example.com (View: Humke Scholarship Informational Flyer)
- UWM Graduate School, usually in November. Math dept app deadline (for TA support) is Jan 31!
- Information on all math graduate programs
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Applications are substantial and due in late October or early November. Graduating seniors and first year graduate students are eligible to apply. The 3-year fellowship goes with the student to their desired graduate program!
- UWM Study Abroad – Every January during the UWinteriM mini-semester, Atmospheric Science Prof Jon Kahl leads a study abroad program to Mexico to study the effects of acid rain on ancient Mesoamerican historical sites. Detailed information available here.
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics – Applications due April 1 for fall, October 15 for following spring. (View: Scholarship opportunity for Budapest Semesters).
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education – Applications due April 1 for fall, November 1 for following spring. (View: Scholarship opportunity for Budapest Semesters).
- UW Oshkosh Mathematics Education Study Abroad Program, offered every other year (odd years) in late May through early June. App deadline beginning of February.
- Putnam Competition – Saturday, early in December each year. Jeb Willenbring organizes firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) and Interdisciplinary Contest in Modeling (ICM) – every year, usually in January. Pinter email@example.com coordinates.
- The 8th annual Competitive Game – organized jointly by the French Federation for Mathematical Games and SCM, has started. It is endowed with 2,000 Euros of prizes. The topic this year is Jules Verne’s novel From the Earth to the Moon. Please see: Mathematical Competitive Game 2016-2017 (PDF)
- Midwest Undergraduate Data Analytics Competition (MUDAC) – hosted by the the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Winona State University. Students work in teams with a faculty mentor, over a weekend at Winona State. Register in early spring, the competition is usually in April.
- National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), every year in Spring – Abstract submission deadline is in December each year. Travel and participation subsidized by UWM.
- Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM), every year in early January. Travel awards for students who present may be provided by the MAA and/or by the UWM Office of Undergraduate Research.
- WI MAA Regional Meetings, every spring.
- SIAM Annual Meeting, each summer
- MAA MathFest, each summer
- For more detailed information on the Atmospheric Science program and events, see the Atmospheric Science website and/or the Atmospheric Science Program Coordinator