Summer Funding Deadline Extended to: April 10th, 2020 at 11:59pm (Central Time)
To apply, faculty should start an application (opens new tab)
Preview (opens new tab) application questions.
The UWM Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) invites applications for semester, academic year, and summer Support for Undergraduate Research Fellows (SURF). Faculty and academic staff can apply for the awards to provide an hourly wage for undergraduate students working as research assistants. Students will be paid as hourly employees in the $10-$12/hour range. Read the SURF Terms and Conditions here.
This program is designed to foster faculty-student research collaborations, and, as such, we are particularly eager to fund work through which students have the opportunity to engage in thoughtful and progressively sophisticated work central to the overall research program of the principal investigator. Because the awards are part of larger efforts to foster a culture of faculty-undergraduate research collaboration at UWM, we are eager to see proposals engaging lower-division students and students who have been underrepresented in undergraduate research, including students of color, students with disabilities and, in some disciplines, women. Faculty members may prepare multiple applications if more than one student is to be engaged in the work. Students who have received support from the OUR in the past are not excluded from this funding. Proposals will be evaluated based on the funding priorities of the SURF initiative, which include providing resources for:
- who have a record of commitment to research activity (typically, awardees have been involved in the research for credit or as a volunteer before seeking funding)
- and who see research activity as key to their overall trajectory at UWM
- Research programs
- that provide progressively sophisticated activities for undergraduates in faculty-led research
- that provide a pipeline for lower-division students
- that are committed to strong outcomes for undergraduate researchers
- and that promote inclusive excellence
- Faculty, staff, and departments
- with a demonstrated record of successfully promoting high quality research opportunities for undergraduates
- and with a record of careful and efficient management of budgets
Special students are not eligible for SURF funding. All students must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits to be eligible (not required for summer SURF). Please contact our office with any questions regarding a student’s eligibility for this award.
New Online SURF Application!
We have prepared step-by step instructions, with screen-shots, on how to use the new Online Application for SURF. Some critical information:
- Applications must be initiated by the Research Mentor.
- We have been made aware that people using the Focused/Other or Clutter boxes in their Outlook may find some of our confirmation emails going to their Clutter/Other boxes. You can make adjustments to those boxes. For more information, please consult: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/focused-inbox-for-outlook-f445ad7f-02f4-4294-a82e-71d8964e3978
- Mentors wishing to work with multiple students must complete a separate application with each student. They should just return to the Apply page and start a new application.
- Research Mentors should be able to login to the application with their UWM authentication. Student Collaborators will have to create SM Apply account using their UWM email address. If you create an SM Apply account, you will have to verify your email address by following the instructions sent to you via email.
- When the Research Mentor is ready to start an application, they should click on the “Apply” button.
- On the next page, the Mentor should click on the “Add collaborator” button. This is critical. This is how the system connects the Mentor and Student applications. Once the Research Mentor has added a Collaborator, the student collaborator will receive an email with a unique link that will lead the student to the Student Application.
- The Mentor can then complete the SURF – Mentor Information Form.
- The Student Collaborator can begin work on their SURF- Student Information Form as soon as they have received their invitation email and registered their account with SM Apply. Note: Students should look for an email from SM-Apply, not their faculty mentor. They should also check their Clutter box for the email.
- The system will save applications when you click on the save button at the bottom of each page — this will allow you to return to your application in multiple sessions. We urge your to save frequently.
- Once the Mentor and Collaborator applications are complete, the Mentor will receive an email requesting that the Mentor login again and finalize the submission.
- If you have questions about creating a SM Apply account, please review the SM Apply FAQ