In order to facilitate timely training of NSF and NSF-supported researchers, UWMUWM uses the online CITI RCR training system. In addition to the CITI training, UWM does offer supplemental training on RCR topics on request; contact Kari Whittenberger-Keith, RCR Co-Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), for more information.
What is CITI training?
- Training on the rules, regulations, and ethical principles governing responsible conduct of research across disciplinary fields.
- A series of 11 online modules and quizzes; participants must take and pass all modules to receive required certification.
Who should complete CITI RCR training?
- The following are REQUIRED to complete RCR training at UWM: All undergraduate students, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers who receive financial support for research through NSF or NIH must receive training and oversight in the responsible and ethical conduct of research (RCR). UWM uses CITI’s on-line RCR training for the RCR basics; all participants should also consult with their supervisors and/or mentors about RCR issues, to receive more individualized instruction. You will only need to complete the full certification series once while at UWM.
How do I complete it?
- Visit the CITI training website.
- If you are already registered, either at UWM or with a different institution, log in to your existing account. If your registration is with a different institution, you can add an affiliation to UWM (if applicable) from the Main Menu.
- If you are not registered, create an account. Click “Register” on the right side of the screen. In the box for Organization Affiliation, enter “University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee” and select it from the list.
- You will be prompted to choose from a list of available trainings. Choose the RCR Training.
- For each module, there is a choice of two videos; you must watch at least one (although you are encouraged to watch both). If selecting one, choose the one that best fits the type of research you plan to conduct.
- Complete the training. A score of at least 80% is required on each module before a completion report will be issued.
If you have trouble logging in, contact email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to do the training all at once?
No, your progress is saved. You can leave it and come back to it over hours, days, or even weeks.
What if I don’t get a high enough score?
You can review any module and retake the quiz until you get at least 80% overall score.
I forgot to print my completion report. What do I do?
You can log back in and print it anytime.
Who needs a copy of my completion report?
- Keep a copy for your own records.
- Some funding agencies will request documentation of completed CITI training.
- You do NOT need to send a copy to the UWM RCR unless it is specifically requested. We have access to all completion reports done through UWM.
I got an email from CITI saying my training has expired. What do I need to do?
We don’t currently require recertification, so you don’t have to do anything. However, it never hurts to brush up!
If you have any questions, please contact Kari Whittenberger-Keith, RCR Co-Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).