Spring 2021 Semester Funding Deadline: December 1st, 2020 at 11:59pm (Central Time)
To apply, faculty need to initiate the application (click link for application)
Preview (opens new tab) application questions.
If you experience any issues with your SM-Apply application that are not addressed in the instructions below, please contact Jessica Schuld (email@example.com or 414-251-5515).
We have prepared step-by step instructions, with screen-shots, on how to use the new Online Application for SURF. Some critical information:
- Applications must be initiated by the Research Mentor.
- We have been made aware that people using the Focused/Other or Clutter boxes in their Outlook may find some of our confirmation emails going to their Clutter/Other boxes. You can make adjustments to those boxes. For more information, please consult the Outlook Help page for Focused Inbox
- Mentors wishing to work with multiple students must complete a separate application with each student. They should just return to the Apply page and start a new application.
- Research Mentors should be able to login to the application with their UWM authentication. Student Collaborators will have to create SM Apply account using their UWM email address. If you create an SM Apply account, you will have to verify your email address by following the instructions sent to you via email.
- When the Research Mentor is ready to start an application, they should click on the “Apply” button.
- On the next page, the Mentor should click on the “Add collaborator” button. This is critical. This is how the system connects the Mentor and Student applications. Once the Research Mentor has added a Collaborator, the student collaborator will receive an email with a unique link that will lead the student to the Student Application.
- The Mentor can then complete the SURF – Mentor Information Form.
- The Student Collaborator can begin work on their SURF- Student Information Form as soon as they have received their invitation email and registered their account with SM Apply. Note: Students should look for an email from SM-Apply, not their faculty mentor. They should also check their Clutter box for the email.
- The system will save applications when you click on the save button at the bottom of each page — this will allow you to return to your application in multiple sessions. We urge your to save frequently.
- Once the Mentor and Collaborator applications are complete, the Mentor will receive an email requesting that the Mentor login again and finalize the submission.
- If you have questions about creating a SM Apply account, please review the SM Apply FAQ