Year of Enrollment: Spring 2016
Research Lab: Prof. M Mahmun Hossain
Major Area of Focus: Organic Chemistry
Minor Area of Focus: Biochemistry
University of Dhaka- Bangladesh 2001-2004 (B. Sc.),
University of Dhaka-Bangladesh 2005 (M.S.)
Why I like Chemistry
Chemistry is a fascinating subject which deals with our daily lives. Medicines are the best example of chemistry which saves us from diseases and makes us able to live. Besides that, Chemistry is fun! If anyone wants to play with a molecule or compound, for example by making different compounds that can glow in the dark or even, in the presence of light, chemistry gives the chance to do that.
Why I chose the Chemistry and Biochemistry Program at UW-Milwaukee
The faculty, staff and other graduate students at UWM are very supportive and friendly. I've received a lot of encouragement and support from my research adviser, Dr. Hossain, in particular.
Favorite things to do in Milwaukee
Park systems in Milwaukee is simple awesome where we can spend time by doing hiking, arranging picnic and other stuff to stay active in the city.
To make a significant contribution to the science community, specifically medicinal chemistry and, develop a convenient way to make a drug which will contribute to public health.
- Synthesis of Substituted Tetrahydrochromenes by the Reactions of α, β-Unsaturated Cyanoesters with Dimedone/1,3-Cyclohexanedione. Ahmed M. G.; Romman U. K. R.; Akhter K.; Jahan K.; Bhuiyan M. N. H. Halim M. E., Syn Commun, 2011, 41(19), 2822-2827.
- An Efficient Synthesis of Chromene Derivatives through a Tandem Michael Addition-Cyclization Reaction. Zaman Z.; Jahan K.; Akhter K.; Romman U. K. R.; Ahmed S. M.; Siddiki S. M.A. H.; Ahmed M. G., J. Bangladesh Chem. Soc., 2013, 26(1), 75-82.
- A Green Approach to Synthesize Dihydropyrimidinone Derivatives by Using Anhydrous ZnCl2 Catalyst Under Refluxing Condition in Heptane-Toluene Medium via Biginelli Reaction. Akhter K.; Jahan K.; Romman U. K. R.; Ahmed M. G.; Rahman M. S.; Al-Amin. M.; Asian Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 27(7), 2624-2626. DOI: 10.14233/ajchem.2015.18615
- One Step Cyclocondensation of (Thio)Barbituric Acid with Chalcones in Glacial Acetic Acid and Phosphorous Pentoxide: Part-I. Akhter K.; Ahmed S. M.; Halim M. E.; Kader M.A.; Jahan K.; Romman U. K. R.; Ahmed M. G., Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res., 2016, 51(2), 129-138. DOI: 10.3329/bjsir.v51i2.28110
- A Green Approach to Synthesize and in vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Indeno-Imidazole Derivatives and Ninhydrin-Nucleophile Adducts. Rifat S.; Jahan K.; Romman U. K. R.; Akhter K.; Halim M. E. Asian Journal of Chemistry, 2016, 28(7),1611-1616. DOI:10.14233/ajchem.2016.19775
- One Step Cyclocondensation of (Thio)Barbituric Acid with Chalcones in Glacial Acetic Acid and Phosphorous Pentoxide: Part-II. Akhter K.; Halim M. E.; Ahmed S. M.; Sarkar P.K.; Akter F.; Jahan K.; Romman U. K. R.; Ahmed M. G., Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res., 2017, 52(2), 115-124. DOI: 10.3329/bjsir.v52i2.32921
- One pot synthesis of 2- amino-5-oxo-4-aryl-5, 6, 7, 8-tetrahydro- 4Hchromenes- 3-carboxilic acid ethyl esters, Al-Mahmud; Halim M. E.; Ali M. K.; Kabir M. A.; Akhter K.; Jahan K.; Romman U. K. R. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res., 2018, 53(1), 35-40. DOI: 10.3329/bjsir.v53i1.35908.
- Synthesis of 1-phenyl-3,4-dihydropyrimidine-2(1H)-ones derivatives under solvent free condition and study of their antimicrobial activity. Akhter K.; Jahan K.; Halim M. E.; Shefa S.;Rifat S.; Khan K. R.;Ahmed S. M.; Romman U. K. R., 2019, Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 54(1), 47-54. DOI: 10.3329/bjsir.v54i1.40730
A Study of Migratory Aptitudes and Reaction Scope of Acid-Catalyzed Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds with Ethyl Diazoacetate, ACS Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Poster presentation, May 2019.
Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds and Ethyl Diazoacetate: Synthetic Scope and Relative Migratory Aptitude Investigations, UWM Chemistry and Biochemistry Research Symposium, Poster presentation, 2019.
Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds and Ethyl Diazoacetate: Synthetic Scope and Relative Migratory Aptitude Investigations, The 36th HERBERT C. BROWN Symposium-Purdue University, Poster Presentation, 2019.
A Detailed Study of Acid-Catalyzed Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds with Ethyl Diazoacetate, BACABANA conference, Poster presentation, 2018.
- Dean’s Award (2004)
- C. BrownPoster Award- Purdue University(2019)