Year of Graduation: 2018
Research Lab: Prof. Alexander Leggy Arnold
Major Area of Focus: Analytical Chemistry
Minor Area of Focus: Organic Chemistry
Thesis: Development of Pre-Clinical Assays Based on Tandem Mass Spectrometry to Investigate GABA(A) Receptor Modulators
University of Milwaukee, B.S. Chemistry, B.S. Biological Sciences
Why I like Chemistry
Chemistry and biochemistry are immensely important in medical science, including and especially in the areas of drug development and molecular diagnostics. I enjoy both chemistry and biochemistry because it allows us to create new methods to detect illnesses and design new compounds to treat a variety of diseases.
Why I chose the Chemistry and Biochemistry Program at UW-Milwaukee
I chose to stay at UWM for graduate school because I have family and friends in this geographical area, and because I own a house in Milwaukee.
Favorite things to do in Milwaukee
I enjoy bicycling on the many recreational trails in the greater Milwaukee area. There are also a plethora of great restaurants and festivals in Milwaukee.
I chose Dr. Arnold’s group because it offered me the opportunity to do multi-disciplinary research. Throughout my tenure at UWM my goals are to continue to do analytical work on various instruments including LC-MS, as well as continue to develop and design assays for the drug discovery group.
- Gloria S. Forkuo, Amanda N. Nieman, Revathi Kodali, Nicolas M. Zahn, Guanguan Li, M. S. Rashid Roni, Michael Rajesh Stephen, Ted W. Harris, Rajwana Jahan, Margaret L. Guthrie, Olivia B. Yu, Janet L. Fisher, Gene T. Yocum, Charles W. Emala, Douglas A. Steeber, Douglas C. Stafford, James M. Cook , and Leggy A. Arnold “A Novel Orally Available Asthma Drug Candidate That Reduces Smooth Muscle Constriction and Inflammation by Targeting GABA(A) Receptors in the Lung” Molecular Pharmaceutics 2018, 15, 1766-1777.
- Katherine M. J. McMurray, Marcia J. Ramaker, A. M. Barkley-Levenson, Preetpal S. Sidhu, Pavel Elkin, K. M. Reddy, Margaret L. Guthrie, James M. Cook, Viresh H. Rawal, Leggy A. Arnold, Stephanie C. Dulawa, Abraham A. Palmer, “Identification of a novel, fast-acting GABAergic antidepressant” Molecular Psychiatry 2018, 23, 384-391.
- Gloria S. Forkuo, Amanda N. Nieman, Nina Y. Yuan, Revathi Kodali, Olivia B. Yu, Nicolas M. Zahn, Rajwana Jahan, Guanguan Li, Michael Rajesh Stephen, Margaret L. Guthrie, Michael M. Poe, Benjamin D. Hartzler, Ted W. Harris, Gene T. Yocum, Charles W. Emala, Douglas A. Steeber, Douglas C. Stafford, James M. Cook and Leggy A. Arnold “Alleviation of Multiple Asthmatic Pathologic Features with Orally Available and Subtype Selective GABAA Receptor Modulators” Molecular Pharmaceutics 2017. 14, 2088-2098.
- Yibin Wang, Heli Fan, Kumudha Balakrishnan, Zechao Lin, Sheng Cao, Wenbing Chen, Yukai Fan, Quibria A. Guthrie, Huabing Sun, Kelly A. Teske, Varsha Gandhib, Leggy A. Arnold, Xiaohua Peng “Hydrogen Peroxide Activated Quinone Methide Precursors with Enhanced DNA Cross-Linking Capability and Cytotoxicity towards Cancer Cells” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2017, 133, 197-207.
- Rajwana Jahan, Michael R. Stephen, Gloria S. Forkuo, Revathi Kodali, Margaret L. Guthrie, Amanda N. Nieman, Nina Y. Yuan, Nicolas M. Zahn, Michael M. Poe, Guanguan Li, Olivia B. Yu, Gene T. Yocum, Charles W. Emala, Douglas C. Stafford, James M. Cook, and Leggy A. Arnold "Optimization of Substituted Imidazobenzodiazepines as Novel Asthma Treatments" European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2017, 126, 550-560.
- Gloria S. Forkuo, Margaret L. Guthrie, Nina Y. Yuan, Amanda N. Nieman, Revathi Kodali, Rajwana Jahan, Michael R. Stephen, Gene T. Yocum, Marco Treven, Michael M. Poe, Guanguan Li, Olivia B. Yu, Benjamin D. Hartzler, Nicolas M. Zahn, Margot Ernst, Charles W. Emala, Douglas C. Stafford, James M. Cook, and Leggy A. Arnold “Development of GABA(A) Receptor Subtype-Selective Imidazobenzodiazepines as Novel Asthma treatments” Molecular Pharmaceutics 2016, 13, 2026-2038.
- Revathi Kodali, Margaret L. Guthrie, Michael M. Poe, Michael R. Stephen, Rajwana Jahan, Charles W. Emala, James M. Cook, Douglas C. Stafford, and Leggy A. Arnold, “Metabolic Studies of Drug Candidates for Neurological Disorders and Asthma Based on GABA(A) Receptor Subtype Selective Ligands using Mass Spectrometry Shimadzu Journal 2015, 3(3), 64-68.
- Margaret L Guthrie, Preetpal S. Sidhu, Emily K. Hill, Timothy C. Horan, Premchendar Nandhikonda, Kelly A. Teske, Nina Y. Yuan, Marino Sidorko, Revathi Kodali, James M. Cook, Lanlan Han, Nicholas R. Silvaggi, Daniel D. Bikle, Richard G. Moore, Rakesh K. Singh, and Leggy A. Arnold “Antitumor activity of 3-Indolylmethanamines 31B and PS121912” Anticancer Research 2015, 35(11), 6001-6007.
- Preetpal S. Sidhu, Kelly A. Teske, Belaynesh Feleke, Nina Y. Yuan, Margaret L. Guthrie, Grant B. Fernstrum, Nishita D. Vyas, Lanlan Han, Joshua Preston, Jonathan W. Bogart, Nicholas R. Silvaggi, James M. Cook, Rakesh K. Singh, Daniel D. Bikle, Leggy A. Arnold “Anticancer Activity of VDR-Coregulator Inhibitor PS121912” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 2014, 74(4), 787-798.