Learning Experience Design for Online Courses and Training
Upgrade your instructional skills by implementing a “Learning Experience Design” approach to create more engaging, learner-centered and impactful online instruction. In this course, you will apply an integrated framework for designing learning experiences that draws upon learning science research, design thinking and innovative digital pedagogy. Through interactive exercises and personalized real-world mini-projects, you’ll go beyond simply providing instruction to designing quality learning experiences for a new generation of digital learners.
Who Should Attend
- Instructional designer/learning designers
- Directors/managers of online learning programs
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Explain the underlying psychology and structure of “learning experiences” for an online environment.
- Describe changes in mindset, process and practice to make the shift from conventional instructional design to learning experience design.
- Practice design thinking to generate creative solutions for learning design challenges when teaching online.
- Design appealing online learner interfaces and meaningful content structures.
- Design engaging online content and learning activities that integrate content and context to promote knowledge and skill application.
- Design online social interactions that foster knowledge development and improve task-job performance.
- Psychodynamics and structure of learning experiences
- Defining “learning experiences” – learner and designer perspectives
- Integrated framework for designing online learning experiences
- Making the shift from conventional instructional design to learning experience design
- Learner, task and experience-centered design
- Design thinking process
- Designing online interfaces and content structures
- Design thinking and the 5Cs of empathic design
- Online course conceptual models and content structure
- Interface design strategies
- Online course and content platforms
- Prototyping activities
- Designing online content and learning activities for active learning
- Factors influencing content design
- Media hybrid approaches for presenting online content
- Pedagogical wrappers
- Online learning activities for higher-order learning
- Contextualization and scenario-based learning
- Integrated learning activities
- Design thinking for crafting online content and learning activities
- Prototyping activities
- Designing online social interactions that support knowledge and skill development
- Creating a climate for pedagogically robust online social interactions
- Strategies for integrating the four learning dimensions into online social interactions for deep learning
This course involves completing assignments prior to each of the four live online class sessions. Completing these assignments and participating in the live sessions are required.
This fully online two-week course consists of:
- Introductory pre-work (1 hr.)
- Four 90-minute live virtual class sessions on 9/22, 9/24, 10/6 and 10/8 (6 hrs.)
- Online self-study modules with practice exercises (4 hrs.)
- Online team discussion sessions (2 hrs.)
- Mini prototype projects related to a course design challenge (4 hrs.)
Date: 2 Tue & Thu, Mar 1-12, 2021
Delivery Method: Live Online
Time: 8-10am CT
Instructor: Les Howles
$899 by Feb 15, 2021
$924 after Feb 15, 2021
CEUs: 1.8, PDCs: 18
Enrollment Limit: 18
Program Number: 5040-13314
Note: Four 2 hour live online class sessions on March 2, 4, 9 and 11. The course is available for student access on March 1.
Registration Deadline: Feb 23, 2021