Practical HR: How to Navigate Employment Law Myths and Landmines
As a human resources (HR) professional, you are expected to be an expert on employment law and HR practice. With hundreds or even thousands of potentially applicable employment laws, where do you start? Join us for this daylong, interactive program where you learn the basics of both employment law compliance and human resources practice. At the end of this program, you have the tools to help your organization spot and avoid high-risk employment matters, as well as some practical tips for managing issues that do arise.
Who Should Attend
- New and/or experienced HR professionals
- New and/or experienced business leaders, supervisors, compliance employees and other individuals who regularly handle HR matters
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Spot high-risk human resources employment law matters
- Help your organization avoid high-risk human resources employment law matters
- Use practical tips for managing high-risk human resources employment law matters that do arise
Spotting Employment Law Risks
- Hiring and Paying Employees
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Religious Discrimination and Accommodation
- Age Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination, Accommodation Issues and Leaves of Absence
- Other Employment Risks
Avoiding and Managing Employment Law Risks
- Failing to Act
- Policies, Postings and Training
- Conducting Investigations
- Corrective Action and Discipline
- Avoiding Retaliation Claims
- Managing Employee Conflict
- Managing Performance Issues
- Ending the Employment Relationship
Lunch and snacks are provided each day. Discounted parking is also available for those who park in the adjacent Shops of Grand Avenue parking structure.
"I like the fact that we had time for questions and everything was explained quite well." — Margaret Rossi, Labor Relations Manager, Klein Tools, 2019
"This program exceeded my expectations. It was extremely valuable and provided me with information I did not know, but is very applicable. She [Jill Sopha] was great! Extremely knowledgeable." — Participant, 2019
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Date: Fri, Oct 11
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Jill Sopha
$345 by Fri., Sept. 27.
$395 after Fri., Sept. 27.
CEUs: 0.7, PDCs: 7
Enrollment Limit: 25
Program Number: 5040-12117
Registration Deadline: Fri., Oct. 11