Effective Live Online Instruction
Develop your skills to design and deliver engaging and impactful live online instruction. In this course, you learn how to leverage the capabilities of evolving technology tools and apply instructional strategies based on learning science. Through interactive exercises, expert modeling, numerous examples, and practice opportunities with feedback, you fine-tune your skills as an online instructor. You also learn when and how to blend live virtual instruction with online self-study material to create more holistic (integrated) learning experiences.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
1. Design and deliver more engaging and impactful virtual instruction.
2. Use active learning strategies in online virtual sessions that leverage common online platform tools.
2. Apply and practice principles for effective online facilitation.
3. Use webcams effectively to foster instructor presence.
4. Adopt strategies to direct and focus learner attention in an online environment.
5. Improve the technical quality of virtual presentations for live/synchronous delivery.
6. Adopt strategies to prepare for, troubleshoot and recover from technical challenges.
• Making the shift from providing face-to-face instruction and content to designing virtual learning experiences
• Exploring strengths and limitations of virtual classes
• Learning how and when to incorporate live virtual instruction with online self-study or asynchronous learning
• Creating a virtual instructor workspace
• Improving the technical quality of virtual classes
• Fostering a welcoming climate for virtual learning experiences
• Gaining on-camera competencies for impactful instructor presence
• Learning online facilitation strategies
• Creating virtual learning activities using common platform tools
• Examining technical troubleshooting and recovery strategies
• Practicing exercises with instructor feedback
"I feel that this course and all the courses I have taken have helped me in feeling more confident, having more knowledge regarding tools, how to present, what to do and not to do, etc. I have already started implementing things from this course and the other courses into my work. Thank you so much for such a great experience." — Participant, 2022
Delivery Method: Combined Online
Date: 3 Thu, Feb 15-29, 2024
Time: 8:30-10:30am CT
Instructor: Diana Howles
$640 by Feb 1, 2024
$675 after Feb 1, 2024
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 5040-16013
Note: Classes meet live online Feb 15, 22 and 29 from 8:30-10:30 am CT. There are required learning activities to be completed on your own time between live classes.
Registration Deadline: Feb 12, 2024