SEO – What It Takes to Win
In a constantly evolving marketing landscape, SEO is a crucial practice that is here to stay and more important than ever.
In this course, you learn:
- Foundational elements of SEO — from the history of Google’s algorithms to updates throughout time … and why not to be afraid of these algorithms.
- Technical SEO — how search engines crawl and index websites and how to make sure yours is built to make it easy for them.
- Content and on-page optimization — from ever-changing best practices to finding out what key words and topics a website should use and why.
More important than just exploring the tenets of SEO — you’ll put them into practice. Hands-on workshops in each session include tools that SEOs use every day. You will be rewarded with the ability to turn research into actionable steps that make a website win.
Who Should Attend
Digital marketers, web designers and developers, and anyone interested in learning about the latest SEO concepts to increase website traffic
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Identify the foundational elements of SEO, including the history of Google’s algorithms and updates over time.
- Explain the technical aspects of SEO, focusing on how search engines crawl and index websites, and articulate the significance of building a website that is easily accessible to search engines.
- Evaluate and analyze websites of competitors to gain insights about consumer behavior.
- Perform a content gap analysis to inform content strategy creation.
- Practice on-page optimization techniques using tools commonly employed by SEO professionals.
Introduction to SEO
- How Google Search Works
- Overview of Google’s Guidelines
- Google Algorithm Update History and Why Not to Be Scared
- Keeping Up With SEO News
Technical SEO: Best Practices and More
- Google’s Job: Crawling and Indexing
- How to Help Google Crawl Sites Faster and More Often
- Workshop: Crawl/Analyze/Identify
- Crawl a website, analyze the crawl data and identify issues that may be hindering indexation or leading to less organic visibility
- On-page optimization basics and best practices
- Developing an SEO Audit
- Using Competitive Research
- SERP Analysis
- Free and Paid Tools
- Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Choosing Actual Competitors Over Real World
- Identifying Competitive Strategies
Content Gap Analysis/Content Strategy Creation
Bringing It All Together to Create an SEO Strategy Built to Win
Basic understanding of websites and marketing concepts. If possible, please bring credentials for your organization’s Google Search Console account. This will allow you to use real data in course exercises.
"Really excellent course – probably the best of the Digital Marketing program [which has] been really good so far." — Participant, Fall 2022
"Really strong instruction with good exercises in class to help us learn." — Participant, Fall 2022
"The instructor was extremely knowledgeable about the subject. He answered questions and explained everything well. I just wish the classes lasted longer, because there was so much to this subject. Plus, it was fun." — Participant, Spring 2022
"Tony was a great instructor and took the time to answer student questions." — Participant, Spring 2022
"I appreciate the in-depth class and feel as though I’m getting a better grasp on SEO. I’m definitely going to save these materials." — Participant
"This course was exactly what I hoped it would be when I signed up. The opportunity to do the exercises during the class and then discuss was perfect for me (rather than trying to do them after work hours while juggling life). Thank you!" — Participant
"This was the best class I have taken with the UWM School of Continuing Education. It was very informative and presented in a way that was easy to digest. [The instructor] also did a great job of helping out with individual topics and concerns so it wasn’t just a broad overview." — Participant
"I really enjoyed this course! I felt that I came in with very little knowledge on SEO and came out with a lot of helpful information, [and] tips and tricks to use that will be very beneficial to bring back to my organization. The exercises were really useful and created a dialogue that also added to the learning experience. Tony was great!" — Anne Jones, Participant
"Of all the courses, this one left me feeling most empowered to act. Some of that was from the individual consults during the class, but only to an extent. The tools and how-tos gave me excellent starting points to do more." — Participant
Date: Mar 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2024.
Delivery Method: Live Online
Time: 8:30am - Noon CT
Instructor: Tony Van Hart
Enrollment Limit: 15
Program Number: 5026-15523
Note: Classes are held on Mar 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2024.
Participants will receive instructions for logging into Canvas to access course materials and Zoom links prior to the course start date.
Registration Deadline: Mar 5, 2024