Adobe Photoshop Boot Camp
This class will jump-start your Photoshop skills in just two quick sessions. Learn about pixels, resolution and creating the right types of images for print, web and social media. Get rid of unwanted picture elements, blemishes and more while optimizing photo content and design. Take the mystery out of using layers.
Whether you’ve never tried Photoshop and are eager to get started, or you want to break through to the next skill level, this class is for you.
Be sure to check out other UWM School of Continuing Education courses exploring Adobe Creative Cloud companion programs, including Illustrator and InDesign.
Note: This course requires participants to have their own Adobe ID and access to Adobe Photoshop software. Participants may enroll in a free trial of Adobe Photoshop which requires the entry of a credit card and subsequent cancellation if a subscription purchase is not desired.
Who Should Attend
This course is for anyone who wants to optimize photos for print or digital display on websites and social media. While all Photoshop features cannot be covered in this short course, the course covers the tools essential to successfully transforming images.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Identify basic tools and their functions in Adobe Photoshop, such as the brush tool, selection tools, and the layers panel.
- Describe principles of image resolution
- Understand and be able to use the concept of layers
- Use selection tools to isolate and manipulate specific areas of an image
- Adjust brightness, contrast and color balance to enhance images
- Assess the pros and cons of using different file formats (e.g., JPEG, PNG, etc)
- Create multi-layered digital compositions using various Photoshop features
- Using the Photoshop environment
- Working with images and selections
- Resizing images
- Exploring file size and format
- Creating and modifying layers
- Adjusting and retouching images
- Preparing finished images for the web and print
Please note that this course requires participants to have their own Adobe ID and access to Adobe Photoshop software. Participants may enroll in a free trial of Adobe Photoshop which requires the entry of a credit card and subsequent cancellation if a subscription purchase is not desired.
"The instructor was really good: knowledgeable, friendly, prompt and flexible." — Participant, January 2023
"I appreciated the course being broken into two days. There was a ton of content." — Participant, January 2023
"It was a very good crash course for people unfamiliar with Photoshop. The large variety of topics taught at UWM’s School of Continuing Education helped me think more critically about how to achieve my different business goals." — Manoj, Reflector LLC, 2022
"Shelly is obviously very knowledgeable about Photoshop and was great about repeating the commands/shortcuts throughout the two days. She also let us ask questions along the way which was helpful." — Participant, 2022
"It was fun!" — Participant, 2022
Dates and locations to be announced.