ACTFL Written Proficiency Test
The Written Proficiency Test (WPT), administered by the esteemed American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), is a specialized assessment that evaluates a candidate’s Spanish proficiency in written communication. This comprehensive test measures how well a person spontaneously writes in the language without access to language/grammar resources or editing tools.
The WPT is available for the following languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.
ACTFL WPT ratings are widely recognized and valued by Fortune 500 companies, U.S. government agencies and the American Council on Education (ACE), which grants college credit based on achieved proficiency levels.
The WPT serves as an essential component for those who aim to demonstrate their language proficiency. The ACTFL WPT may fulfill language teaching licensure requirements; please contact your state Department of Education for more information.
After registering, you have the flexibility to schedule your ACTFL WPT anytime within a 90-day period. Your Written Proficiency Test will be proctored by the Program Manager through Zoom or Teams. Please set aside two hours for both the setup and the WPT. Proctoring is offered Monday -Thursday 9am-9pm CT, Friday 9am-4pm CT and Saturday 8am-3pm CT based on program manager availability.
The program manager serves as your guide throughout the process, offering helpful examples and valuable tips to enhance your experience for taking the WPT. You need to provide a valid picture ID, which is verified at the beginning of the exam.
Test Forms & Proficiency Ranges The WPT assesses the full range of the ACTFL Proficiency – from Novice to Superior – on three different test forms. The results of the Self-Assessment automatically generate the appropriate form.
- Form 1 can provide a rating within the proficiency range of Novice Low to Intermediate Mid (NL – IM). The average administration time is 40 minutes.
- Form 2 can provide a rating within the proficiency range of Novice Low to Advanced Mid (NL – AM). The average administration time is 60 minutes.
- Form 3 can provide a rating within the proficiency range of Novice Low to Superior (NL – S). The average administration time is 80 minutes.
The WPT is rated exclusively by ACTFL-certified raters. Responses on the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) are assessed from a global perspective. In evaluating writing, the following criteria are considered:
- Functions or global tasks the writer performs
- Content areas and contexts within which the writer performs the tasks
- Accuracy of the writing
- Length and organization of the text the writer produces
Note that discrete linguistic components are viewed from a communicative perspective and are thus considered in terms of how they contribute to the overall message communicated in the written sample.
Tests are double-rated and an official ACTFL WPT certificate is issued to the candidate. The certificate includes the rating, the description of the rating and the description of language ability associated with the rating.
Prior to taking ACTFL’s Writing Proficiency Test (WPT), takers are encouraged to do the following:
- Take the WPT Demo Test
- Read the WPT Familiarization Guide
- Review the Writing Proficiency Guidelines, which include samples in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
Date: Open enrollment – Register anytime
Delivery Method: On-Demand Online
Language Certificate participants receive $50 discount on ACTFL OPI
Early registration discounts will subtract automatically from the fee if the registration is submitted prior to the deadline. All other discounts require the code in the left column to be entered on the registration form. Only one discount code can be entered on a registration form.
Program Number: 7781-15655
Note: Dates on your registration invoice will reflect FY 2024, however you will be contacted by the Program Manager within 1-3 business days to schedule your WPT.