Your last year should be planned out as carefully as your first. Each school and college has its own set of graduation requirements related to grade point average, credits, and residency so please contact your academic advisor if you have any questions or concerns related to your graduation.
- Apply for graduation through your PAWS account
- Pay the $40 Graduation Application Fee in PAWS or at the Bursar’s Office
- Double-check that you don’t have an outstanding PAWS balance or any PAWS holds
- Check your UWM Email Address frequently for important updates on your degree or graduation
- At least two months before graduation, verify the name and address you have listed in your PAWS account. Diplomas are shipped via the US Post Office to the address listed in PAWS.
- The name on your diploma will be printed exactly as it appears in PAWS. Information about requesting diploma name changes or omissions can be found on this page under the “Diploma” section.
- Also two months prior, order your cap and gown online at colleges.herffjones.com/college/_UWMilwaukee
- Did you borrow any student loans? If so, please view important Exit Loan Counseling information
Completing your degree requirements does not automatically trigger your graduation application. You must notify the Registrar’s Office of your intent to graduate by applying through your PAWS account after you’ve enrolled in your last semester of classes. Students graduating during the spring/summer semester should apply on or before the first Friday in January. Students graduating during the fall/UWinteriM semester should apply on or before the first Friday in September. If you apply late, it may mean that your name will not be on lists of graduating seniors, including the program printed for the commencement ceremony. Follow the steps below to submit your application.
(If you do not see the “Apply for Graduation” link, you are not currently eligible to apply. Please contact your undergraduate academic advisor or your advising office for assistance.)
- Log in to PAWS
- Under the Academics section, select “Apply for Graduation” from the “other academics” drop down and click the arrows
- Under the Submit an Application for Graduation section, you should see another “Apply for Graduation” link. Click that link.
- On the Apply for Graduation page, click on your Academic Program in blue
- Select your graduation term from the Expected Graduation Term drop down menu, then click the CONTINUE button
- Click the Apply for Bachelor’s Degree button
- Complete the Apply for Graduation questionnaire, then click Submit
An email confirmation will be sent to you once your application is received.
Late Graduation Application
The last day to apply for undergraduate graduation for a given term is the date of the commencement ceremony. After that date, you will be required to complete the paper graduation application (pdf) and submit the $40 graduation fee to the Registrar’s Office in Mellencamp Hall.
Changing Your Graduation Date
If you find that you will not complete your degree requirements after you already applied for graduation, you may change your graduation date at any time by notifying the Registrar’s Office through the Contact RO form.
The Commencement Booklet List identifies the student names published in the commencement book for the most recent/upcoming December and May commencement ceremony. As a general rule, the commencement book list will be available for viewing beginning early April for the Spring/Summer commencement and early November for Fall/UWinteriM commencement.
If you have any questions about the commencement ceremony, contact the Secretary of the University.
Receiving Your Diploma
The Registrar’s Office has several options available for receiving your diploma:
- Mailed via US Post Office first class mail to a US or international address listed in PAWS
- No further action required
- No tracking information provided
- Mailed via eShipGlobal courier service to a US or an international address
- Further action required; You must create an eShipGLobal account
- Cost depends on shipping location and must be paid by you
- Tracking information provided
- Returned to UWM for student pickup
- Returned to UWM for authorized pickup by another person
Diplomas are mailed to your PAWS mailing address or returned to UWM for pickup 8-10 weeks after the ceremony. In general, diplomas are mailed approximately:
- 4th week in February for December graduates
- 2nd week in March for UWinteriM graduates
- 4th week in July for Spring graduates
- 4th week in October for Summer graduates
To submit a request for diploma pick up after the completing the graduation application, please contact the Registrar’s Office and select the graduation/diploma option.
You can request that someone else pick up your diploma, but an Authorization Letter For Diploma Pickup must be completed first. The PDF version of this form is only accepted in person or via mail. Faxed or electronically submitted copies will not be accepted. We encourage using the online version which requires logging in with your ePanther ID. The authorized recipient of the diploma must present a photo ID at the time of diploma pick up. A copy of the ID will be retained along with the letter.
Name on Your Diploma
The name listed in PAWS is the name that will be printed on your diploma. However. you may submit a Diploma Name Request to have a name printed on your diploma that is a slight variation of your legal name in PAWS (if you no longer have PAWS access, you will need to complete the PDF version of the request). No additional documentation will be required in these cases, but requests must be submitted prior to the commencement ceremony to allow time for review and processing. Diplomas are official documents, and this request is limited to minor changes or omissions such as:
- Full middle name to initial (ex. Andrew to A.)
- Removal of middle name or middle initial (ex. Katie Marie Smith to Katie Smith)
- Full first/given name to shorter version (ex. Elizabeth to Beth)
- Multiple first/given or last/family names to a single first and last name
All diploma name requests are subject to review and approval by the Registrar’s Office who reserves the right to decline any diploma name request without explanation.
If you want a significant change to your name, a different name, or a different spelling on your diploma, you will have to submit a Student Record Data Change Form along with supporting documentation to the Registrar’s Office at least 8 weeks before the commencement ceremony. Examples of situations that require documentation include:
- Middle initial to full name (ex. Jesse T. Jones to Jesse Tyler Jones)
- Legal name in PAWS to preferred name
- First or last names completely different from PAWS
To order a replacement diploma, please submit the request form (PDF version or Online Version). The cost for each replacement diploma is $35. All diplomas ordered after the original diploma has been issued are considered a replacement of the original document. The statement “Replacement for diploma issued” and the student’s original date of graduation will appear at the bottom edge of the replacement diploma and will bear the signatures of the current University Chancellor and State Officers. *Students who graduated from one of our branch locations (Waukesha or Washington County) prior to August 2018 should email email@example.com for information on obtaining a replacement diploma.*
If you have questions regarding your diploma, contact the Registrar’s Office.
Dual degree students pay an $80.00 graduation application fee. If you’ll be receiving two degrees (i.e. a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science), you have to submit an application and fee for each degree. This does not apply to students with a single degree but multiple majors.
A student may check to see if their degree has been posted using the following steps:
- Login to your Student Center via PAWS
- Click on the “My Academics” link
- Click on “View my graduation status”
Students with missing requirements (incomplete grades, missing transfer credits, grade changes and/or course substitutions or waivers) that are not completed within 30 days after the date of graduation will typically have their degree posted for the next term.
If you need proof of an upcoming or past graduation date, you can submit a request for Graduation Verification.